Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Birds@#$ stains??? what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 PM
joe3112d
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Birds@#$ stains??? what do you do?

My vert got bombed yesterday on the hood and the trunk. It coudlnt have been on more than 3 hours by the time i got home from work. I brought it in to be handwashed and now i have 2 half dollar sized stains in the clearcoat that didnt wash out,, or come out with meguirars haze/swirl remover. The stains are very noticable in sunlight and slitely noticable to the touch. Any ideas on removing these blemishes?? This has me sick. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 PM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter

should come out next time you do a full detail....ie claybar, etc.

I carry a bottle of Adam's detail spray and a microfibre in my cargo compartment for just such an occasion. Nothin's better than swabbin' it when fresh.

Oh yeah, try to get local birds to stop eating Taco Bell...worked for me
Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bird droppings are uric acid which can eat through clear coat.

The following was pulled from Fitch Car Wash site:

Q: I removed bird mess from my car's hood (bonnet), but a dull patch has been left behind. How can I get the paint back to its previous gloss?

A: The first stop I'd recommend is using a polish. A moderately abrasive polish should help get any remaining "pollution" out of your paint and restore its natural shine. There are also some cleaners specifically formulated to remove bird, bug and tar residue, you could try those as well, but they are usually non-abrasive, so they are more for cleaning than for polishing. Polishing is what will actually restore shine. If the bird droppings have been sitting on your paint for a while (especially in the sun), the paint may have oxidized, and you may be stuck with a dull spot. In this case, you would have to have it professionally buffed out by a detailer.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
CaptainMike
Pro

Had the same thing happen overnight Sunday...was sick when I came out of the hotel. Got it off immediately with lot of water.....got it home and used Zaino Z-6 and it's perfect....thank god for Zaino!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
drtli
CRAZFST
Support Corvetteforum!

It's bad. I had 25 spots in one afternoon on my MR. Most wiped off but2 ate into the clear coat. I ended up using 3M rubbing compound followed with 3M finishing compound over 20-30 min. Removed about 80%. Followed with Zaino and I can still see it but I have too look just right. That stuff eats deep, deep into the clearcoat. I guess a car cover is about the only sure solution. 5 coats of Zaino didnt even prevent it.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Firedog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have to learn to not park under trees...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:21 PM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter

Originally Posted by Firedog
You guys have to learn to not park under trees...

mine was a "fly by" dropping. Little bastard must have had a machine gun for a butt.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Firedog
Racer

And I thought the "drive bys" in So Cal involved weapons...
Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 AM
JJayzX
Racer

At my old job i swear the birds there had it out for me everytime i washed my car and parked it back outside and then when i go home for the night theres crap all over it and no one elses. it wasnt a vette thankfully it was my 87 blue Camaro LT. Maybe they just didnt like blue cause there was no other blue there.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:02 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayzX
At my old job i swear the birds there had it out for me everytime i washed my car and parked it back outside and then when i go home for the night theres crap all over it and no one elses. it wasnt a vette thankfully it was my 87 blue Camaro LT. Maybe they just didnt like blue cause there was no other blue there.

Birds don't like " reflective objects " , it hurts their eyes.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:13 AM
JJayzX
Racer

Then dont look at my freakin car lol.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:16 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by joe3112d
My vert got bombed yesterday on the hood and the trunk. It coudlnt have been on more than 3 hours by the time i got home from work. I brought it in to be handwashed and now i have 2 half dollar sized stains in the clearcoat that didnt wash out,, or come out with meguirars haze/swirl remover. The stains are very noticable in sunlight and slitely noticable to the touch. Any ideas on removing these blemishes?? This has me sick. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Same thing happened to me. Except the bird crap was confined to my hood. After washing and polishing two large stains remain on the hood. SHOOT THE BIRDS!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:39 AM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
Same thing happened to me. Except the bird crap was confined to my hood. After washing and polishing two large stains remain on the hood. SHOOT THE BIRDS!!!
Just climb up the tree, hover yer butt over their nest, and give it right back to them.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:02 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Default For the birds

On L.I. N.Y. the gulls not only crap on the cars ,but try to open 3"clams by dropping them on the hood and trunk.I have a 10 X20 carport on my boat property. Can't survive without it.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:05 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

You all know what I'm gonna say.................
Old 05-11-2005, 02:21 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Yikes, bird droppings are the worst. I carry some Wet Handy Wipes in all my cars more for cleaning bird droppings than hands. That stuff has to come off right away or else. Why do birds love Corvettes so much?

Dan
Old 05-11-2005, 02:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default The Sonus QD got the bird turd off.

Get notified of new replies

To Birds@#$ stains??? what do you do?

Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bird Excrement:
(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, bees, aphids, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid) which if left for any length of time the will cause the clear coat to ‘cloud (a non-transparent area) or etch a depression in the paint or glass surfaces, so they should be removed without delay. Birds use gravel to digest their food and grit and sand are some of the major components. Residue should be removed as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat.

Take your time and be careful with its removal, pre-soak contamination with Isopropyl Alcohol and use a plastic scraper to remove the hardened top and then flush with lots of water to rinse away any grit / sand / etc, then use detailer's clay and a lubricant to remove residue. Then use an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection.

Removing etched bird excrement residue (below surface) from paint -
These can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using a machine polish, Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polish and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface, work on a very small area at a time (2-foot x 2-foot) until the polish has run out, you may have to repeat this process two or three times. Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

Stains- Meguiar’s ScratchX used with a terry cloth applicator should remove ‘ingrained’ excrement stains. This will require repeated applications until stain is no longer visible.

Emergency kit - keep a QD spray (Iz Lackfinish) and a micro fibre towel in the vehicle

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement
(Collinite 845 Insulator Wax probably the most durable Carnauba wax product) this will provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface.

JonM

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-11-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:01 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Friday the 13th...I pull the Vette into the parking lot at 6am. I park under a tree. Oh no...not under a tree. I move the car to an open space with no trees around. I go in and work for 10 hours...come out...bird sh*t on the rear hatch and trunk lid. The stuff is hardened, looks like it has straw in it!! Get home in 5 minutes, clean it off. Damn spot still there. Z-6 no help. Gave it the claybar treatment...still the cloudy look from an angle. Looks like I'll need it buffed out some day.
Just had put another layer of Zaino on two days ago.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Clay bars will not remove the stain. Once etched in nothing short of a wet sand and repaint will remove it. You can make it look better but not 100%.

When you clean off bird poo make sure your towel is very wet and GRAB it off your cars paint. Do not drag it as bird poo contains abrasive grains of sand.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Birds@#$ stains??? what do you do?