Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How much Zaino to use

Old 05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
indy300
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much Zaino to use

I just put a coat of Z5 (with ZFX) on my navy blue C5. I read to put it on very thin. So, I used about 1/2 ounce (1/4 of the ZFX bottle) to do the whole car. Is that about right? How much do you use to do a coat on a vette?

thanks for your input!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

I would consider that to still be just a touch thick, BUT the first coat might take that much depending on surface prep.
By surface prep, I mean, doinig a wash with Z-7 or spraying Z-6 on the clayed surface before applying the polish. I found that process seems to help spread it a little better.

Your second coat should use less, and the third less than the second. I can do 3 coats on my C5 with just under 1/2 oz.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Bob Ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you put it on as thin as recommended, you cannot see anything on the car. So how do you know that you are really getting any of the product on the car?

I used 1.5 oz for 2 coats of Z-2 and could still barely see anything going on the car. That is why I kept putting another dab of polish on the applicator, so I could se some haze when I wiped it across the car.

I am still puzzled as to how you can tell whether you are getting enough product on the car.

Bob
Old 05-09-2005, 01:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I can usually coat the Corvette twice with one ounce which is half the bottle and

Originally Posted by indy300
I just put a coat of Z5 (with ZFX) on my navy blue C5. I read to put it on very thin. So, I used about 1/2 ounce (1/4 of the ZFX bottle) to do the whole car. Is that about right? How much do you use to do a coat on a vette?

thanks for your input!
5 drops of the ZFX.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Grzldvt
I would consider that to still be just a touch thick, BUT the first coat might take that much depending on surface prep.
By surface prep, I mean, doinig a wash with Z-7 or spraying Z-6 on the clayed surface before applying the polish. I found that process seems to help spread it a little better.

Your second coat should use less, and the third less than the second. I can do 3 coats on my C5 with just under 1/2 oz.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:01 AM
indy300
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
5 drops of the ZFX.
Thats what I did. I was talking about 1/4 of the 2oz clear bottles.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:16 AM
indy300
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Ward
When you put it on as thin as recommended, you cannot see anything on the car. So how do you know that you are really getting any of the product on the car?

I used 1.5 oz for 2 coats of Z-2 and could still barely see anything going on the car. That is why I kept putting another dab of polish on the applicator, so I could se some haze when I wiped it across the car.

I am still puzzled as to how you can tell whether you are getting enough product on the car.

Bob
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

1/2 oz of Z5 and 2 - 3 drops of ZFX when used.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:21 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default I just put in half of one of those bottles of Z-2 or Z-5 as that is = 1 ounce

Originally Posted by indy300
Thats what I did. I was talking about 1/4 of the 2oz clear bottles.
Then 4-5 drops of ZFX to every ounce this is in the instructions. Some members here probably can get alot more than 2 coats on as everyone puts it on differently in quantity.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:28 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

With a Corvette you should shoot for 3 full coats with 1 oz. of product
Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
indy300
Drifting

Then 4-5 drops of ZFX to every ounce this is in the instructions. Some members here probably can get alot more than 2 coats on as everyone puts it on differently in quantity.
I'm sorry to mislead, I left out some vital info. I put 1 oz. of Z5 into the mixing bottle. Then added 4 drops of ZFX. I ended up using half of the mix during my 1 coat (ran out of time). Therefore, one coat used 1/2 oz of the mix.

My intended question is: How many ounces of Z5/Z2 will do one coat on a C5? In my case, I used 1/2 ounce per coat.

Thanks for replying
Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Let me start out by saying that you should treat Z-2 Pro and Z-5 like it cost $1,000 an ounce. Apply it THIN THIN THIN

1/4 oz. (quarter of an once) will do one coat on a C5. If you use the rule of thumb of one drop of ZFX per 1/4 once of Z-2/Z-5. you won't be using anymore than you have to. Believe it or not, this is repeatable. I teach all of my customer to apply it this thin.

Another trick is to only apply the dime sized drop to half the size of the applicator. (Remember to swirl it in to the applicator with your finger BEFORE you touch the surface of the paint) Grab the applicator so that only the half with the Z-2/Z-5 touches the surface of the car. Use a straight line motion when you can as opposed to a swirling motion.

If the reason you are putting in on thicker is that you can't see where the surface has "hazed", make sure that the polish is completely dry (using the touch test). If it's not dry you'll see the surface as being cloudy when you wipe off the residue.

You all work hard for your money. I'd rather see you spend it on yourself as a satisfied customer than give it to me more often than you need to.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Bob Ward
Instructor

JJU,

The problem that I have is after 1 or 2 passes with a dime size dab on the applicator, you can no longer see that anything is being applied to the paint. So at that point, you are asking yourself if you are wasting your time moving the pad across the paint, when there appears to be nothing coming off the pad and onto the paint.

How do you know when it is time to add more Zaino to the applicator?

Bob
Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

Good question!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
HeyVern
Racer

Location: Grace Valley: A small, peaceful & beautiful valley in the Volunteer State

Originally Posted by Sixgun95
Good question!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually just make an "X" with product.

I put more Zaino on the applicator every couple of panels.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default So then how many coats of Zaino should you be able to apply to a Corvette C-6?

Originally Posted by JJU
Let me start out by saying that you should treat Z-2 Pro and Z-5 like it cost $1,000 an ounce. Apply it THIN THIN THIN

1/4 oz. (quarter of an once) will do one coat on a C5. If you use the rule of thumb of one drop of ZFX per 1/4 once of Z-2/Z-5. you won't be using anymore than you have to. Believe it or not, this is repeatable. I teach all of my customer to apply it this thin.

Another trick is to only apply the dime sized drop to half the size of the applicator. (Remember to swirl it in to the applicator with your finger BEFORE you touch the surface of the paint) Grab the applicator so that only the half with the Z-2/Z-5 touches the surface of the car. Use a straight line motion when you can as opposed to a swirling motion.

If the reason you are putting in on thicker is that you can't see where the surface has "hazed", make sure that the polish is completely dry (using the touch test). If it's not dry you'll see the surface as being cloudy when you wipe off the residue.

You all work hard for your money. I'd rather see you spend it on yourself as a satisfied customer than give it to me more often than you need to.
Using 1 ounce? 4 coats to 1 ounce?

Get notified of new replies

To How much Zaino to use

Old 05-10-2005, 06:28 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bob Ward
The problem that I have is after 1 or 2 passes with a dime size dab on the applicator, you can no longer see that anything is being applied to the paint. So at that point, you are asking yourself if you are wasting your time moving the pad across the paint, when there appears to be nothing coming off the pad and onto the paint.
How do you know when it is time to add more Zaino to the applicator?
(I don't know if you are or not so) If you are starting out with a dry applicator, try placing some water or, better yet, Z-6 on the applicator before putting the Z-2/Z-5 on the applicator. The applicator must stay moist. Don't overdue it, however. Initially the pad will tend to soak up more of the Z-2/Z-5. You may have to apply the dime-sized drop more frequently initially (possible 2 passes). Eventually the applicator will start to "give it back". You'll find that you won't even need a dime-sized drop to spread the polish over the same area.

If you plan on putting on more than one coat on the car, place the applicator in a plastic container or plastic bag to keep it moist while you are waiting for the previous coat to dry and you remove the residue. Re-apply Z-6 spray on the pad before starting on the next coat.

Make sure you apply Zaino in good light so that you can see the application haze. White is very difficult to see in any light. (You have to look at an angle with the naked eye or, as I recently discovered, use polorized sun glasses.) Black or Red is the easiest.

If you can't see the haze, touch the applicator with a dry finger to feel if the pad is dry. Re-apply Z-6 spray if it doesn't feel moist before applying more polish.

I hope this gives you additional techniques to try. I wish I could show you in person.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Using 1 ounce? 4 coats to 1 ounce?
YES!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner