Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

3M Swirl Mark Remover 390009

Old 05-10-2005, 05:49 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Swirl Mark Remover 390009

What it the best way to use this? I have a friend who is questioning me on this, but wants more than just my opinion.

Do you apply it in small sections first or do the entire car then remove using a different pad. Or, buff the samll area until it is almost dried, then wipe off the area using a 100% cotton cloth and move on to the next section?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by C5corvetteman; 05-10-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
BAD 99
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

by HAND or a buffer
Old 05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BAD 99
by HAND or a buffer

He wants to use a buffer.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:39 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
What it the best way to use this? I have a friend who is questioning me on this, but wants more than just my opinion.

Do you apply it in small sections first or do the entire car then remove using a different pad. Or, buff the samll area until it is almost dried, then wipe off the area using a 100% cotton cloth and move on to the next section?

Thanks in advance!
Best used with the PC and a foam pad, work small sections at a time and do not let the product dry before removal, you essentially buff an area until the product turns from a paste into an oil and then remove the excess material with a clean car towel.

The part number is actually 39009
Old 05-10-2005, 07:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Polishes tend to harden if allowed to sit and fully dry on a car, making them a real bugger to remove completely. Best to go panel to panel and avoid any of the hazing, or potentially sealing any polish under the sealant/wax of his choice if not completely removed.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:42 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by KLO
Best used with the PC and a foam pad, work small sections at a time and do not let the product dry before removal, you essentially buff an area until the product turns from a paste into an oil and then remove the excess material with a clean car towel.

The part number is actually 39009
good stuff
Old 05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

I use this stuff all of the time...

It's good stuff - I've tried applying by hand and via machine - I prefer by hand. The nice this about this stuff is that it eats itserlf as you use it and so there is minimal risk of over-using in one application (or a few)...

Tell him to do it by hand and be patient, deeper swirls may require a few rounds... Here is what I do (this is just me) - I find all of the offending swirls or light scratches and I mark near them with a soap bar under good lighting. Next using a cotton cloth that gets used with this only, I put a small amount of the 3M product on the scratch and start buffing in circles with the cloth. The care must be clean first and if you plan on waxing it must be washed again. You will note that the stuff stops working after a few minutes. At this point, wipe it off and reapply if the scratch is still there.

Good luck
Old 05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

Oh yeah, avoid using this stuff all of the time. People have been known, even with this product, to wear through the clear coat. I use it once a year.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, and as well recommend the Porter Cable 7224 with 6" pad/counter weight. Get some good quality pads like Lake Country or Sonüs, depending on how the condition of the finish always start with the least agressive pad. The process is best down with applying the SMR to the pad applying the pad to the surface then start working a 3'x3' area. Back and forth with overlapping strokes top to bottom of the area, then up and down, then both directions diagonally. The material will break down as it is worked and when it turns to an oily state its done, move to the next section. Remove the residue with a high quality microfibre cloth and a spray bottle of fresh water on the area just completed before the next section. Repeat over the entire vehicle. To test the area just completed to ensure all the swirl marks and scratches, use a second spray bottle mixed with 50% water and alcohol, wipe dry and examine. There is a good articles on

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/

http://www.bettercarcare.com/topics.php?topicId=17
Old 05-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Blue Seducer
Racer

Default remove wax first?

Should wax be removed before using Scratch X ?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Seducer
Should wax be removed before using Scratch X ?
Scratch X will remove the wax.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:31 PM
68coupe
Pro

Default quick questions related to 39009

Quick related questions:
I clay bared my car and after I used zaino polish.
There were some swirl marks on the car and I was told to use 3M 39009 on it.
Here are my questions:
1. Do I have to clay bar again? If so, before I use the swirl remover or after?
2. I assume that the 39009 will remove the zaino, so after I use the 39009, should I wash the car again and apply the polish (z5)? Or can I just apply the polish (z5) right after the swirl remover, with no washing in between?
3. Can you use 39009 on chrome?

My plan was the following:
wash the car
apply 39009
apply zaino
admire!

Is that right?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Joe,

Claying the finish is basically a paint cleaner. Since you done it already (the process removes acid rain, rail dust, brake dust, bird droppings, tree sap, etc) your painted finish has been prep'd. I would do two things different in your plan.

After you use the 3M SMR, wash with Z7. This removes any remaining residue not removed during the process. Remember as you finish buffing each 3x3 area, have a spray bottle with plain water in it, spritz the area just completed and wipe with a clean soft cloth (preferably microfiber).

Then apply the Z5.

The SMR is fairly aggressive, so it will mostly likely remove much of the Z5 already on there.

There are two types of SMR 39009 is for dark colors, I think its 39109 for light colors.

I don't see any reasons why you could not use it on chrome although there are probably better products. Imagine a cross-section of the clear coat on the paint. It gets some light scratches or swirl marks. Those have sharpe edges on them which catch the light and thus you see them. What SMR does is knock those sharpe edges off the scratches so light cannot reflect, thus removing them from visibility.

If you haven't bought the Z8 Sealer yet, I would definitely get some of that, and apply it after the Z5 as well as in-between Z5 coats.

Get notified of new replies

To 3M Swirl Mark Remover 390009

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3M Swirl Mark Remover 390009