Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Car wash swirls

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:45 PM
David G Ford
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash swirls

How do I remove the Car Wash swirls from my Clear Coat?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Top Cat
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Try Zaino Z5 then Z2 and Z6.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Try throwing out the Z5, and use 3M's Swirl Mark Remover, then Zaino on top of that.

It's better to actually remove the swirls than to try to cover them up with something that doesn't work anyway.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:15 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may help....
http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=32&c=16

another....
http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html

There are many ways to skin.... well, you know.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Meguiar's #83 Polish is the strongest polish sold over the counter in the US so Meguiar's told me. It is hard to find so I bought mine from the Meguiar's website. I have uded it and LOVE IT! It would also be helpful if you apply it with an Orbital Buffer. When it starts to dry, wipe it off and apply fresh polish until you no longer see the scratches. It works when liquid not when dry. One of the benefits of #83 is you will remove a goodly amount of orange peal with one application. It will take you several applications but eventually even that will disappear.

Every Black car should have a bottle of Meguiar's #83 on the shelf. Dirt in a washers mit can cause great damage to your cars paint.

Dan
Old 03-20-2005, 12:33 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy a Porter cable random orbital polisher and an appropriate polish of your choice
Get the PC 7336 $99 ay Lowes.
Visit www.properautocare.com for detailing instructions
and read their recommendations.

I prefer Mezerna polishes.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:38 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default It is gonna take many coats of Z-5 to fill in those swirls

Originally Posted by Top Cat
Z-5 is only for very minor swirls n scratches and yet it will take a few coats..
It is just about impossible to avoid the swirl marks and scratches on a car.

Last edited by LS WON; 03-20-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Top Cat
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by LS WON
Z-5 is only for very minor swirls n scratches and yet it will take a few coats..
It is just about impossible to avoid the swirl marks and scratches on a car.
That's very true. If there is a secret to a swirl free finish, is to use the products I mentioned (Z5, Z2, Z6) regularly and be cognizent in your cleaning/washing practices to minimize accumulation of swirls.
If you use the cut-in polishers regularly you will not have any paint left to remove after a while.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

WRONG ! Z5 only has light "fillers" that are meant to hide some swirls and marring. To remove them as asked, calls for a polish to remove some (very little) clearcoat and these marks. People have polished more than 20 times without seeing a reduction in clearcoat with professional measuring devices, but that is not to say that you should not start with the least aggressive polish and then move forward as only necessary.

As for keeping the paint from adding additional marring, try to use a good car wash soap (lubrication), a good microfiber to help remove contaminents away from the paint, and drying with waffle weave type products to reduce sand/dirt/dust being dragged across the finish.

If you are looking for some good polishing lines ... look to Poorboys, Einszett, or Menzerna. All user friendly and great results for the novice or professional alike.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Top Cat
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
WRONG ! Z5 only has light "fillers" that are meant to hide some swirls and marring. To remove them as asked, calls for a polish to remove some (very little) clearcoat and these marks. People have polished more than 20 times without seeing a reduction in clearcoat with professional measuring devices, but that is not to say that you should not start with the least aggressive polish and then move forward as only necessary. .............
Well, it's all relative and dependant upon how deep the swirls are.
I would agree with you if the car has not seen any TLC for a while and swirls, scratches etc accumulate on top of ech other. In that case the more practical way to remove them would be removing some of the finish.
The thread originator however did not elude to such conditions. His thread adresses car wash swirls. My assumption is that we are talking of light swirls. My opinion remains Z-5. Multiple coats will build-up the surface to optically hide them. Again, what I said in my previous post was frequent use. The idea is to get ahead of the game and not let the stuff accumulate. It doesn't take more than a couple of hours from start to finish and is good exercise anyway!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 PM
ImpySS96
Advanced

Originally Posted by VETFVER
Meguiar's #83 Polish is the strongest polish sold over the counter in the US so Meguiar's told me. It is hard to find so I bought mine from the Meguiar's website. I have uded it and LOVE IT! It would also be helpful if you apply it with an Orbital Buffer. When it starts to dry, wipe it off and apply fresh polish until you no longer see the scratches. It works when liquid not when dry. One of the benefits of #83 is you will remove a goodly amount of orange peal with one application. It will take you several applications but eventually even that will disappear.

Dan
#83 will NOT remove orange peel. Especially with a PC and a foam pad.

But, to answer the thread starters question. You need to polish out the swirls. two great products for that have been mentioned. Megs #83 DACP, or 3M swirl mark remover. For best results should be a pplied with an orbital buffer and polishing pad. And then top with you favorite glaze, wax etc...
Old 03-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The thread originator however did not elude to such conditions. His thread adresses car wash swirls. My assumption is that we are talking of light swirls. My opinion remains Z-5. Multiple coats will build-up the surface to optically hide them.
I understand where you are coming from and what you are offering, but Zaino Z5 is a superficial covering or "hiding" of the swirls and as such will be removed with time, washing, and environmental issues. Thus without CONSTANT attention you will once again see the swirls.

Also while Zaino offers an optically pure finish in its Z2 line, the addition of even light fillers makes the finish less than pure in the Z5 line. I would want (and do) put only the best product on top of a pure or scratch free and properly prepped finish. As for time, it makes no difference to wash, clay, polish are rewash prior to sealant as to adding xx layers of one product like Z5.

Here is what the originator questioned:

How do I remove the Car Wash swirls from my Clear Coat?
The only way to "remove" scratches (also commonly called marring, spiderwebbing and swirls) is to polish the paint and thus removing or blending them into the surrounding clearcoat. Now lighter swirls will only need a lighter polish (ie. Menzerna Final Polish, Einszett Metallic Polish) and deeper scratches move you to more aggressive (Menzerna Intensive Polish, Meguairs DACP, Einzett Paint Polish, Poorboys SSR 2.5) but these will be less frequently used. A great tool is a Random Orbital Buffer/Polisher that offers speed sensitivity, very little heat transfer, and near fool proof operation. I would be more concerned with a rotary and some wool bonnets in removing/damaging clearcoat.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default That is exactly what I use.

That's very true. If there is a secret to a swirl free finish, is to use the products I mentioned (Z5, Z2, Z6) regularly and be cognizent in your cleaning/washing practices to minimize accumulation of swirls.
If you use the cut-in polishers regularly you will not have any paint left to remove after a while.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Looks like it is time to open up that new bottle of Menzerna Power Gloss I have

Old 03-21-2005, 03:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default This is true Zaino Z-5 is only a filler not a scratch remover.

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
WRONG ! Z5 only has light "fillers" that are meant to hide some swirls and marring. To remove them as asked, calls for a polish to remove some (very little) clearcoat and these marks. People have polished more than 20 times without seeing a reduction in clearcoat with professional measuring devices, but that is not to say that you should not start with the least aggressive polish and then move forward as only necessary.

As for keeping the paint from adding additional marring, try to use a good car wash soap (lubrication), a good microfiber to help remove contaminents away from the paint, and drying with waffle weave type products to reduce sand/dirt/dust being dragged across the finish.

If you are looking for some good polishing lines ... look to Poorboys, Einszett, or Menzerna. All user friendly and great results for the novice or professional alike.

Get notified of new replies

To Car wash swirls

Quick Reply: Car wash swirls