Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Pinnacle Souveran Wax ... The Truth

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Pinnacle Souveran Wax ... The Truth

CMA (Classic Motoring Assessories) brought out a newsletter this morning that answered some questions on Pinnacle Souveran. This should help to realize other formulas like P21S (heavy beeswax) and Trade Secret are in fact different, although may share some ingredents. Hopefully CMA will not mind me cut/paste the entire article for the folks that want to know about one of the greatest carnuba's made and the fact that it isnt all carnuba.

"Judging by the volume of emails I've been receiving, our Pinnacle waxes have been creating quite a stir in the marketplace. If you're a long time reader of our Newsletter, you know I rarely tout our own products, preferring to focus the spotlight on other manufacturer's products. This month, I hope you'll forgive me if I wave the flag over our first product line, Pinnacle, and a wax I'm particularly proud of, Souveran Paste Wax. As I travel around the country to various show car and concours events, I am always flattered to see this wax being used, especially on cars that end up in the "Winners Circle." With this growth in popularity comes the inevitable rumors and innuendoes about what's in it and who makes it.
Here, in no particular order, are some of the recent emails I've received with questions about our Pinnacle waxes.

Question: I've been told that Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is the same as "Brand X" which sells for half the price. Is this true?

Answer: I tracked a number of these rumors back to internet forums where someone's uncle's barber knows a mechanic that had some "inside information" that Souveran is .....etc. Hog wash! I developed Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax and do not sell it under any other name or allow the formula to be used by any other company. Now, we do pour waxes for other companies but these waxes are crafted to the client's specifications or price constraints. They are totally different formulas from Pinnacle Souveran.

Q: Where did Pinnacle Souveran (Paste Wax) come from?

A: The history of Pinnacle goes back to 1991. At that time, I owned a black Mercedes and, like most enthusiasts, thought I wanted a bright shiny finish. My eyes were opened when I purchased a jar of Zymol® Destiny™ wax. Destiny made my car look fabulous! It wasn't a bright shine but rather a deeper, darker shine. My car's black paint rippled like it was under water. I think I paid around three hundred bucks for that jar of wax. (It now sells for over $400.00 for an 8 oz. jar!)

Through this experience, I came to realize that there was more to shine than just light reflection. Some colors, black, red, dark blue, deep yellow for example, look better with this "deeper, darker, wet-like" shine.
A light went on! Every wax manufacturer was promoting a brighter, more dazzling shine. No one, with the exception of Zymol, was addressing a different type of shine just for dark color vehicles. I reasoned that if I could create a wax similar to Zymol's Destiny at a "more affordable" price, I'd have a winner. With Destiny as my benchmark, I hired a chemist and we spent the next 15 months developing a super wax for dark color vehicles. Mid 1992, I felt we had a wax that, nine times out of ten, couldn't be distinguished from our benchmark wax in a blind, side-by-side comparison. In some areas we even surpassed our benchmark wax. Because we're in Florida, we crafted Souveran to be extremely haze and streak-resistant even in climates of high heat and humidity. It wipes on and buffs off easily with every car coming out perfect. In September of 1992, I launched the Pinnacle Car Care line with Souveran Paste Wax as our signature wax for dark color vehicles. The rest, as they say is history with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax being used on hundreds if not thousands of show and concours winners all the way up to Pebble Beach!

Q: Why is Souveran so expensive?
A: The plain truth is production costs. Paste waxes are "cooked" in a steam jacketed kettle with the liquid wax being sent under pressure to a filling machine with 6 or more spigots. Wax jars are filled six at a time, go down an assembly line through a cooling tunnel where the top of the wax solidifies enough for a cap to be installed, past a labeling machine where a label is applied and then to final packaging. The Souveran formula, because of the various oils we use, is extremely finicky. We must maintain the temperature of the wax within 4 degrees C. from the beginning to the end of the pouring or we get mush. It also does not like forced cooling. We have to let Souveran air cool. Because the formula requires so much attention, Souveran is poured one container at a time. It is sent down a short assembly line to a flat table where it is allowed to air cool. When it cools in this manner, the center of the wax sinks slightly. This doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't look nice for a high quality wax to have a caved in center. To smooth the top, we pour the container 3/4 full, let it air cool and then run it through a second time to "top it off". In essence, we pour every container twice. The surface wax then air dries a second time, an "O" ring is installed, the cap is screwed on (by hand) and a front and back label is put on (again by hand).

We have to contract the pouring. We rent the kettle, filling machine, cooling table and usually two operators for "X" number of days. With a typical, automotive paste wax, one filling machine and operator should be able to pour and package 2,000 wax jars a day. With Souveran, the best we have ever accomplished is 200 jars a day and some days, as little as 100 jars. We have to amortize the cost of the equipment and labor over the number of jars we produce. That's why it's so expensive. Now we can take out some of the ingredients that make the formula so difficult to pour but we would loose the 3-dimensional, look-down-the-layers shine that Souveran is famous for.

Q: How is Souveran Paste Wax different from other waxes?

A: The mental image most people have of a freshly waxed car is a bright, shiny finish but that may not be the best look for your car. Black, red and dark color vehicles tend to look better with a deeper, 3-dimensional, liquid shimmer that allows the vitality and energy of the paint to emerge. Conventional waxes that focus on brightness create a bland, silvery reflection in direct sunlight. This sterile shine does not compliment the passion and power of black and red vehicles.

Souveran on dark color paints creates the liquid shimmer of an infinitely deep pool. Everything about Souveran is different. We start with a base of super-refined, Brazilian Ivory Carnauba. This extra refining process reduces impurities and increases the wax's clarity.

Yellow Carnauba Ivory Carnauba

During the blending process, as the wax is melted to a liquid, we add additional oils which "wet" the surface. This gives the finish the look of rippling liquidity.
Souveran is different in three other aspects. First it wipes on and buffs off "wet". There is no waiting for the wax to dry and no chalky residues to collect in body seams. You simply walk around the car wiping on and buffing off as you go. Souveran will also not white-stain body moldings.

A second difference is the coverage. Conventional paste waxes will typically yield 10 to 12 applications per container. One 8 oz. container of Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is enough to wax 20 to 30 vehicles. A little wax goes a long way!

The third difference is that Pinnacle Souveran can be layered without fear of yellowing or discoloration. The finish will noticeably darken with a second application and we know of show cars that have 20 or more coats of Souveran!

Q: How much Carnauba is in Souveran?
A: Carnauba in today's wax formulas functions mostly as a carrier. It is the vehicle used to keep the polymers and oils on your car's surface. Only a small portion of your vehicle's shine comes from the "wax" (i.e. carnauba) itself. Carnauba is translucent at best with only minimal light reflection.

Modern folklore propagates the myth that increasing the Carnauba content of a wax will make the wax "better". This is marginally true at best. Increasing the Carnauba content up to a point (30 to 37%), will increase the waxes durability but will not affect the shine. If the Carnauba content is too high (40% or more), the result is a rock-hard, wax brick. You simply would not be able to apply it to a vehicle! Be wary of manufacturerers that claim high (40%+) wax contents. They are either lying or they include softer, cheaper waxes (beeswax, palm wax, paraffin) in their formula.

We do not use any beeswax, Montan wax, Palm wax or paraffin in our formulas. We pack our waxes with the maximum amount of Ivory Carnauba possible. If we put in more Carnauba, the wax would be impossible to apply. We have never quoted a content percentage because it really isn't important.

Q: What happened to Pinnacle Paste Glaz for light color vehicles?

A: When I launched Pinnacle in 1992, I started with Souveran Paste Wax for dark color vehicles and Paste Glaz Paste Wax for light color vehicles. In layman's terms, Paste Glaze contained a high polymer content for a brighter shine which compliments light colors while Souveran used wetting oils to increase the carnauba's natural jetting factor or darkening characteristic. Over time we found that we could put more polymers in a liquid product. The amount of wax in Paste Glaz was actually inhibiting the amount of shine we could produce. Liquid Souveran was introduced to compliment white, silver, grey, beige, light yellow and light blue finishes. It contains a base of Brazilian Ivory Carnauba for transparency but is packed with highly reflective, crystalline polymers.

Liquid Souveran produces a mirror-like shine that can be layered in multiple coats without any discoloration or yellowing. In 2004, we retired Paste Glaz Paste Wax as Liquid Souveran really surpassed it in shine.
Q: Do you recommend Souveran Paste Wax is for dark color vehicles and Liquid Souveran is for light color finishes?

A: That was my intent but there are no absolutes in judging shine because it is a personal preference. If you have a black car and like a bright shine, then Liquid Souveran is the right wax for you. There is no "right" or "best" wax. Only by trying different waxes on your vehicle will you be able to decide what looks best to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

by Terry Freiberg,
Classic Motoring Accessories
Newsletter #37

Last edited by Killrwheels; 03-18-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:15 AM
jerseyvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting article...thanks for sharing
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 PM
mhaber
Racer

Yes, thanks for sharing. This gives me a greater appreciation for Souveran which I've used several times.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:21 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

The mental image most people have of a freshly waxed car is a bright, shiny finish but that may not be the best look for your car. Black, red and dark color vehicles tend to look better with a deeper, 3-dimensional, liquid shimmer that allows the vitality and energy of the paint to emerge. Conventional waxes that focus on brightness create a bland, silvery reflection in direct sunlight. This sterile shine does not compliment the passion and power of black and red vehicles.

Souveran on dark color paints creates the liquid shimmer of an infinitely deep pool. Everything about Souveran is different. We start with a base of super-refined, Brazilian Ivory Carnauba. This extra refining process reduces impurities and increases the wax's clarity.
Very good article and this describes the difference very well.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:19 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I would avoid any type of wax product as wax doesn't protect like polishes will

Products like Zaino or Klasse will provide superior protection than any type of wax and last longer. I used to use wax until something in the air or something put a mark on my paint when I was using carnuba wax. Car waxes offer no protection
Old 03-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
Products like Zaino or Klasse will provide superior protection than any type of wax and last longer. I used to use wax until something in the air or something put a mark on my paint when I was using carnuba wax. Car waxes offer no protection

I would love to know how you came up with that considering some of the best in the business cannot answer that question. Carnuba has a lower "durability" (life of protection) than sealants (not polishes which offer NO protection) but infact contain natural UV protectants that need to be ADDED to sealants. Thus both offer good protection, just for different time.

As for your air issue ... I can easily show you with sand that a sealant is NOT a protectant for marring. Dont let personal preference interfere as it only creates rumor.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

I have heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Autopia is offering 25% off Pinnacle Souveran. You use "pinnacle" as the checkout coupon/ discount code http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

yeppers .... 17.49 off , dont know how long it will run. www.pinnaclewax.com also has an offer with free products (Crystal Mist, microfibers) going on currently.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 03-20-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:23 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrayC5
Excellent article. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:28 PM
brzman
Pro

great article..........i am sold on pinnacle products. i purchased
a signature series kit last year and was amazed at the results
on my quasar blue mettallic vette.
but am i to take this article to mean that the liquid sovergn is
pretty much the same as the signature series ?

thanks
Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
wolfman04
Racer

First coat of Pinnacle Souveran past wax giving me that wet look that I'm after. Cant wait until I can giver her another coat.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Good reading, I am sure. But I will stick to the

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-20-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
I would love to know how you came up with that considering some of the best in the business cannot answer that question. Carnuba has a lower "durability" (life of protection) than sealants (not polishes which offer NO protection) but infact contain natural UV protectants that need to be ADDED to sealants. Thus both offer good protection, just for different time.

As for your air issue ... I can easily show you with sand that a sealant is NOT a protectant for marring. Dont let personal preference interfere as it only creates rumor.
Experience my boy experience.. .
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
AAMC6
Instructor

Big Pinnacle fan here - I've used Souveran on my mag red C6 and the results are fantastic. The Crystal Mist is also a great touch-up between waxes; I've just orderd the 64oz size.

The kicker is their car wash - I've used multiple brands of car washes and have never really noticed any difference in term of ultimate results. But the very first time I used Pinnacle's car wash, I noticed a definite sparkle or gleam. For me, really amazing stuff.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:41 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Killrwheels

I bring my hotrod to shows in Kansas sitting under cedar trees and get bird droppings all the time without any damage to the paint. Sealeants have durability but I feel that protection of a Carnuba isn't a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Pinnacle Souveran Wax ... The Truth

Quick Reply: Pinnacle Souveran Wax ... The Truth