Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Planning long trip to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 02:58 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Default Planning long trip to Canada

Plan on leaving Texas in April, arrive Eastern Side, final destination: Vancouver.... trip will be "spontaneous"..... if it takes two months -- that's fine.
Primary trip will be on Trans-Canada Highway... side trips welcome.

Please, your opinion/thoughts on long trip through Canada (other than "stay home.")
C8 service is of particular concern
Best method for foreigner to purchase gas
Any particular things to avoid
Any particular things to see

If it's easier to reply (or ask me questions): joeljacobs1941@gmail.com

All input appreciated

Joel
Old 02-23-2023, 07:46 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

This Canadian page of the CF is very quiet. Lots of people have migrated to a Canadian Corvette page on FB

I’ll get the specifics so you can join that group and pose your question there. You will get more responses
Old 02-23-2023, 08:01 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
This Canadian page of the CF is very quiet. Lots of people have migrated to a Canadian Corvette page on FB

I’ll get the specifics so you can join that group and pose your question there. You will get more responses
Thank you, but I do not use ANY social media.... grumpy 81-year-old retired photojournalist.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:15 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Thank you, but I do not use ANY social media.... grumpy 81-year-old retired photojournalist.
Smart man
The following users liked this post:
Cdn Z06 Mike (03-13-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 08:32 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Plan on leaving Texas in April, arrive Eastern Side, final destination: Vancouver.... trip will be "spontaneous"..... if it takes two months -- that's fine.
Primary trip will be on Trans-Canada Highway... side trips welcome.

Please, your opinion/thoughts on long trip through Canada (other than "stay home.")
C8 service is of particular concern
Best method for foreigner to purchase gas
Any particular things to avoid
Any particular things to see

If it's easier to reply (or ask me questions): joeljacobs1941@gmail.com

All input appreciated

Joel
Most of it will be straightforward for you. We are all English speaking here, mostly.
There are gas stations regularly if you stay on major highways. Just use your credit card at the gas Pumps. You'll see our gas is WAY more expensive than what you pay in the US, but because our dollar sucks, you will still do better. Costco will have the cheapest gas, if you are a member and they have 91 Octane with no Ethanol. If you need 94 Octane, Most, (but not all) Petro Canada Stations have Ultra 94 gas. Note, the service stations directly off the highways do charge more than even a couple kilometers getting off the highways.

Most Canadians are very friendly, unless in the big Cities like Toronto, but that's how the States are too.

Have a great trip! Take your time and enjoy the scenery! And watch out for pot holes, the winter wreaks havoc on our roads!!

Old 02-24-2023, 09:40 AM
My Sharona
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Joel,
I sent you an email.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:15 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay 👍
Old 02-24-2023, 10:46 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corrado;1606313261[color=#2c3e50
Most Canadians are very friendly, unless in the big Cities like Toronto, but that's how the States are too.
!
[/color]
People in Toronto are friendly. Don’t believe everything you read 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by VETFEVER:
John1990 (03-05-2023), RedZ4me (03-01-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 11:45 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

all of Canada is French speaking, except for Quebec where it's English speaking (anglophone) by law... but you'll still have a great time..
Old 02-24-2023, 03:17 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corrado
Most of it will be straightforward for you. We are all English speaking here, mostly.
There are gas stations regularly if you stay on major highways. Just use your credit card at the gas Pumps. You'll see our gas is WAY more expensive than what you pay in the US, but because our dollar sucks, you will still do better. Costco will have the cheapest gas, if you are a member and they have 91 Octane with no Ethanol. If you need 94 Octane, Most, (but not all) Petro Canada Stations have Ultra 94 gas. Note, the service stations directly off the highways do charge more than even a couple kilometers getting off the highways.

Have a great trip! Take your time and enjoy the scenery! And watch out for pot holes, the winter wreaks havoc on our roads!!
Thanks!

On my few trips into Canada over the years have always found you folks extremely hospitable - and extremely friendly on my encounters around the world. Back in the '70s I was a fairly frequent visitor to Vancouver as I was stationed with the Navy in the Seattle area. A couple of years ago I made an extended trip into Eastern Canada, starting with Montreal. If it weren't for all the tour ships I'd happily move to Quebec City.

Any thoughts on service for a C8? I know it's a long way between a dealer in Ontario and one in Medicine Hat.
corrado (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 03:19 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
People in Toronto are friendly. Don’t believe everything you read 😂
I'm looking forward to seeing for myself. I've found most folks around the world are pretty friendly -- though there are always a few grouches everywhere.
corrado (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 03:24 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dankhts
all of Canada is French speaking, except for Quebec where it's English speaking (anglophone) by law... but you'll still have a great time..

Yeah, kinda like all us Texans own a ranch, wear cowboy boots and a wide belt, a cowboy hat, and carry a gun.....
The following 2 users liked this post by 4thC4at60:
corrado (02-25-2023), dankhts (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:20 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Yeah, kinda like all us Texans own a ranch, wear cowboy boots and a wide belt, a cowboy hat, and carry a gun.....
Old 02-25-2023, 08:24 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Maybe search all the GM Dealerships that will be on your way and make a list. Canada is HUGE and you can go long stretches between dealerships, but modern Vettes are pretty reliable. Do you have AAA? It's CAA here, not sure if it transfers over, but that would be good to have in case you need a flatbed tow.

Yes, most Canadians are very friendly, you may find just a little less so in the big city, like anywhere else in the world. Anyone who doesn't agree has not worked with the general public in the service industry!() But you won't have any problems.
walleyejack (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:45 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corrado
Maybe search all the GM Dealerships that will be on your way and make a list. Canada is HUGE and you can go long stretches between dealerships, but modern Vettes are pretty reliable. Do you have AAA? It's CAA here, not sure if it transfers over, but that would be good to have in case you need a flatbed tow.

Yes, most Canadians are very friendly, you may find just a little less so in the big city, like anywhere else in the world. Anyone who doesn't agree has not worked with the general public in the service industry!() But you won't have any problems.
"you may find just a little less so in the big city"
true story
Old 02-26-2023, 09:34 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Do all your vehicle’s service before leaving. I would expect your C8 to make the journey without concern. However, as you journey across Canada, larger city’ Chevy dealers will be best to address your service needs. They will require service appointments so plan/anticipate a week+ in advance to book any routine service at a dealer in an upcoming city a week away.
Set up emergency service through your GM warranty call centre. They will direct you/tow you to the nearest Chevy authorized dealer.
Just to be explicit - I’m sure you’ve planned this - be sure to have proper medical and health insurance in place in the event of need.
Enjoy!!!
Old 02-27-2023, 01:58 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Thanks folks. I've just not done a _long_trip in Canada before.... long trips are common for me as I lack but 9,000 miles having 1,000,000 miles in Corvettes.
AAA does indeed have a reciprocal with CAA.
Insurance for my car is provided by my current carrier.
Will indeed buy medical/travel insurance for the trip.

Just had the 7,500 mile service completed on my '23. Will likely not need service of any sort until after I return to the US.

Truth is, of course, I may get tired and end the trip somewhere along the track and dash South.... I'm 81 and may say, "Enough! at some point.... hoping for the best though -- hope to complete the trip totaling around 8,000 miles by the time I get home and have the 15,000 mile service done by my regular dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4thC4at60:
Vernon (02-27-2023), walleyejack (02-27-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Planning long trip to Canada

Old 02-27-2023, 10:56 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Take note of where you want to be and how long it takes to get there.

for example, from pretty much Montreal, to get across just Ontario, your going to be 24 hours non stop driving.

Your not doing to be able to hit Peggys Cove and Niagara Falls in the same day, lol

lots of small town festivals during the summer.

Traffic can be a bitch at certain times, like long weekends (pending direction of your travel). Typical rush hour (or rush all day) traffic depending on the city. Like the 401 highway across Toronto. Highway 407 across Toronto runs mostly parallel with 401, but is a toll highway. No need to stop and pay, they’ll photo capture your plate and mail an invoice in due time. Not sure how they handle out of state visitors and fees, but don’t be surprised if you get a bill.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:41 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

I'm no stranger to traffic: Manila, Philippines, Naples (and all) of Italy, and much of the rest of Europe, New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and many more.... If I make 50 miles one day and 400 the next, that's fine... I figure the trip will take about 3 months.... Re: Niagara Falls -- seen it in good weather from both sides, seen it frozen, also from both sides..... went to grad school in Syracuse many MANY years ago.... have traveled all of the lower 48 states and 58 foreign countries... just one more adventure.... biggest pain in the A$$ will be laundry....
Old 02-27-2023, 09:05 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Some Suggestions.

Hi Joel,

My wife and I take many scenic road trips state-side. I would suggest you start your trip in May to get the best weather. If you are not in a hurry try to avoid the big cities and take secondary paved roads. Some of our local Corvette clubs should be able to make recommendations for scenic routes. We live in a very special small town in Ontario named Elora. When our son lived in Peterborough we would bypass Toronto by going north through Port Perry. The trip was pleasant and did not take any longer than using the 401 highway. (Yes, would could have paid to used the 407 toll road for part of the trip)

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Planning long trip to Canada