Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Anyone Order a Tremec TKX 5 Spd for a C2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 05:31 PM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Anyone Order a Tremec TKX 5 Spd for a C2 ?

Anyone Order a New TREMEC TKX 5 Speed Transmission for a C2 Corvette in CANADA ??
Any issues with Purchase, Accessories, Shipping, Installation , Fit, Shifter, Road Test.... ?
Old 01-05-2022, 02:58 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Sam, when I bought one of the first "Perfect Fit" Tremec TKO-600 from Keisler in around 2003 or 4, I had everything shipped to a UPS location near the airport in Buffalo. UPS had no problem holding it for me to pick up and I simply drove it back. There were no duties, just GST (if I recall.) I did have a lot of installation challenges being among the first here to have the swap done. Went to four different shops and since I hadn't yet cut the crossmember each time was a full engine/tranny out job. There were clearance issues with the bell housing, clutch, alignment, etc.

It wasn't until years after Keisler's bankruptcy that I drove down to Silver Sport Transmissions in Tennessee (they bought Keisler's assets, even had most the same staff) and had their techs spend a day with my car on their hoist to help figure out the final gremlins. The misalignment had caused the front flange (believe that's what it's called) to wear poorly, making the clutch a beast to operate. Silver Sport had also redesigned the offset shifter with their new STX design, so I got one of those too, brought the parts home and my mechanic in Oakville did the final install work, with some phone assistance from their tech support folks. Even though that final work wasn't done until 2017, better than a dozen years since the original swap, I always liked the 5 speed, but I sure love it now. My old Muncie M21 had been beat on badly and the Hurst shifter felt like a stick in a box of rocks and buzzed like a hive of hornets. The new setup opens, not diminishes the character of the car, and I can (and have) done some very long assed drives (like Toronto to Scottsdale straight, solo, top-down in 32 hours.)

I greatly recommend Silver Sport Transmissions (now owned by Paul Lee) and also cutting the crossmember (I had ring flanges custom built and it works great.)

If you're ever in Mimico, you're welcome to come by and check out the install on my car any time in my heated storage garage. Or once the roads go salt-free again, take it out for a drive to try it for yourself. The gearing, effort and feel are IMHO finally about "perfect" for me and critical for the long trips I enjoy taking with it.

Here's a pic of what the input flange/shaft looked like after the wear from bad bellhousing and other alignments.

The following users liked this post:
Sam Kalmuk (01-05-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 01:55 PM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Well, I bit the Bullet, and bought the Tremec TKX 5 Speed
Two 75 yr old Farts installed it this week...
Already had a Removable Crossmember built into the Tubular Frame
Road Test next week after having a New Driveshaft built by Larry at Niagara Drivetrain ....
Now, I have an Excellent M22 Muncie Rockcrusher Trans to Sell....
FYI
Sam

The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Kalmuk:
NW-99SS (08-18-2022), walleyejack (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 10:32 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

well done Sam..
givver
Old 08-18-2022, 04:33 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 714 Likes on 371 Posts

Nice work Sam! I may look into this as well, as my 4 speed just keeps my 502 at nearly 3000 rpm for highway speeds.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Order a Tremec TKX 5 Spd for a C2 ?

Quick Reply: Anyone Order a Tremec TKX 5 Spd for a C2 ?