Canadian Events Canada, eh?

This forum near 'dead' status

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 01:19 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by JB08
On the upside when things return to normal, cruises and Carlisle will feel special again. Nothing like missing something to make you appreciate it. In the meantime I drive the same roads over and over and wait....
unfortunately, this IS the new normal Joe.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:43 PM
JB08
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
I refuse to believe that Al. Even the 1918 virus (which was way more deadly) had it's day and disappeared. It was followed by the roaring 20s. People wanted to forget the war and the virus and although we have not endured anything like that generation, I think people will be fed up with all the restrictions and will flock to public events just the same... human nature doesn't change. Our nature is to love car meets ... and corvette meets
The following 2 users liked this post by JB08:
corrado (10-13-2020), Luzifer (01-14-2021)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:45 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Highway Dancer you are correct!

I am old and appalled at the attitude of some older Corvette owners toward younger people successful enough to own a Corvette. This is why the Clubs and events are dying out.

I agree that the younger generation have no technical skills. They were not in charge as the quality of the education system was constantly reduced. We had wonderful shops starting in grade 7. The academic standard in high school was far higher with standard province wide exams.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rich Farr:
3Xvette (10-29-2020), Baby Blue (10-22-2020), corrado (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:14 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It doesn't have to be that way. Resistance may be futile, but we still must resist. Globalist ecotards are doing all they can to **** up everything we enjoy. The battle has only begun and it is still far away from being over...
The following users liked this post:
corrado (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:56 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Farr

I am old and appalled at the attitude of some older Corvette owners toward younger people successful enough to own a Corvette. This is why the Clubs and events are dying out.

I agree with this statement.

I started here on the forum, attended a few local shows. Did a few cruises, albeit a bit different than most, I don’t live in the Golden Horseshoe, I’m a three hour drive away. No big deal. Met a bunch of nice people along the way, also met a few a-holes, “corvette snobs” and downright rude corvette owners as well.

I HAD a 78. It was interesting to watch people on cruises react and make comments to a car that wasn’t “modern” (not “new”, but “modern”). My opinion changed towards a lot of people over the years because of their “holyer than thou” attitude towards me because I choose to drive and enjoy an older car.

Car shows (and cruises by extension) are like being in high school all over again, if your the new kid at school and your not accepted as a “cool kid”, Don’t drive something new, latest and greatest, your not accepted into the clique.

I’m fine with that, I don’t have the need to “fit in”. I have thick skin and don’t take anybody too serious, But you can quickly tell who the snobs are.

I will say there are members here that I consider friends, who I share common interests with and I continue to enjoy those friendships even though I sold my car this summer. Do I miss the cruises? Ehh, not really. What I do miss are SOME of the people I’ve met along the way. There are also a bunch I won’t (don’t) miss either.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:28 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It also seems you have gray hair to fit in on the opinions on this site.
One of my GT350 Mustang buddies told me the other day before we went on a cruise, that I do not belong in my C3, I didn't have any gray hair (he is 2 years older)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
I agree with this statement.

I started here on the forum, attended a few local shows. Did a few cruises, albeit a bit different than most, I don’t live in the Golden Horseshoe, I’m a three hour drive away. No big deal. Met a bunch of nice people along the way, also met a few a-holes, “corvette snobs” and downright rude corvette owners as well.

I HAD a 78. It was interesting to watch people on cruises react and make comments to a car that wasn’t “modern” (not “new”, but “modern”). My opinion changed towards a lot of people over the years because of their “holyer than thou” attitude towards me because I choose to drive and enjoy an older car.

Car shows (and cruises by extension) are like being in high school all over again, if your the new kid at school and your not accepted as a “cool kid”, Don’t drive something new, latest and greatest, your not accepted into the clique.

I’m fine with that, I don’t have the need to “fit in”. I have thick skin and don’t take anybody too serious, But you can quickly tell who the snobs are.

I will say there are members here that I consider friends, who I share common interests with and I continue to enjoy those friendships even though I sold my car this summer. Do I miss the cruises? Ehh, not really. What I do miss are SOME of the people I’ve met along the way. There are also a bunch I won’t (don’t) miss either.
All true Mike, well said. Sometimes I find hanging with the folks just as much fun as cruising. It doesn't t have to be about " look at my new car", that's fine if you want that tude, i don t need to hang with those people. I could just as easy get together with a handful of folks and daileys, and we do with our small group of 5 or 6. Am older myself and hang with people 10-30 yrs younger, I enjoy thier cars and thier company. Always find that no one with a C7 hardly waves and never with a C8, and neither bother me.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

All true Mike, well said. Sometimes I find hanging with the folks just as much fun as cruising. It doesn't t have to be about " look at my new car", that's fine if you want that tude, i don t need to hang with those people. I could just as easy get together with a handful of folks and daileys, and we do with our small group of 5 or 6. Am older myself and hang with people 10-30 yrs younger, I enjoy thier cars and thier company. Always find that no one with a C7 hardly waves and never with a C8, and neither bother me.

I'm sure age is, at least a partial deciding "factor" (for lack of a better term) in the automotive "lifestyle". Typically with age come financial success. Some are silver spoon babies, I'm sure, but you can weed those out pretty quick. Not many 20somethings can afford a ZR1 or M5 or AMG whatever model without bank of mommy/daddy. If they can, great, more power to them and I don't have a problem with that. It's the attitude that "I'm better than you because I drive a ___________" (fill in the blank). Pretentious *****.

As for the cdn section being near dead, If you want to discuss what wax, floor mats or "what colour brake calipers I should order?", go to another section. Hell, go to off topic and fill your boots, it's the busiest section bay far, IMO. CFCE doesnt hold a monopoly on ********, they're everywhere.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:27 PM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to be a very active member at the cruises, HDR’s, dinners etc. and on this forum. Now I’m hardly around. I even forgot my password.
Everything has a shelf life, and people move on to another hobby or just different things in life.
We have met many great friends and people because of this forum. We have been to weddings, Funerals, Kids weddings, birthdays and great celebrations with CFCE members.
i was one of the original HDR participants, hardly missed one for years, now I can’t stay up that late. Lol
I used to love the big runs with a 100 Vette’s, now I prefer to cruise with a half a dozen cars.
This forum got me involved with Imsa racing. My big runs now consist of going to watch our Corvettes compete & win at tracks around the USA & Canada.
The favourite shop battles turned a lot of people away. The personal bashing was rampant a few years ago.
Since joining this form I have had a 1990 C4, 2002 C5 & my current 2006 C6. Not to sure when or if I’ll move to the next one.
This forum has helped me with countless projects. The available help here is unbelievable.
Hopefully the new crowd will keep this forum alive.
Social media has definitely put a dent in this form. Many people have moved to those platforms.
Safe Safe everyone. Keep cruising! 👍

Last edited by OBSESHON Mark; 10-15-2020 at 05:42 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by OBSESHON Mark:
3Xvette (10-29-2020), 754U2NV (10-16-2020), 7t2vette (10-19-2020), Baby Blue (10-22-2020), corrado (10-20-2020), gdh (01-15-2021), I8URRICE (10-19-2020), Swift_Striker (10-29-2020), The boss (10-15-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:28 PM
squalo3
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I echo a lot of the comments and agree, things change, people change, life situations change.

The one thing that doesn't change, FOR ME, is NEVER regretting to sign up on this forum many years ago. Like most of you said, I have met so many people on this forum, some of which I sill get together with, or stay in touch with, and others that I see at shows or the odd cruise. For those of you who know me I've gone through my share of cars between the Corvette & Camaro, but never was told I don't belong. The only thing that matters to me is that the person shares the same interest as me (CARS) and I don't judge because of what you drive, age, or anything else for that matter.

WE NEED TO GET THE WAVE BACK UP AND RUNNING!

Remember people wave if you see another Corvette, or for that matter sports car, driver, they just might surprise you, and wave back.
The following 5 users liked this post by squalo3:
Baby Blue (10-22-2020), corrado (10-20-2020), dlynch (10-27-2020), Patman (10-20-2020), walleyejack (10-19-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:51 AM
LS12NV
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by squalo3
WE NEED TO GET THE WAVE BACK UP AND RUNNING!

Remember people wave if you see another Corvette, or for that matter sports car, driver, they just might surprise you, and wave back.
I totally agree!!!
Old 10-27-2020, 12:11 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
I'm sure age is, at least a partial deciding "factor" (for lack of a better term) in the automotive "lifestyle". Typically with age come financial success. Some are silver spoon babies, I'm sure, but you can weed those out pretty quick. Not many 20somethings can afford a ZR1 or M5 or AMG whatever model without bank of mommy/daddy. If they can, great, more power to them and I don't have a problem with that. It's the attitude that "I'm better than you because I drive a ___________" (fill in the blank). Pretentious *****.

As for the cdn section being near dead, If you want to discuss what wax, floor mats or "what colour brake calipers I should order?", go to another section. Hell, go to off topic and fill your boots, it's the busiest section bay far, IMO. CFCE doesnt hold a monopoly on ********, they're everywhere.
When we were looking for a car, I spent some time in other sections. Made me happy to come back here, and I avoid those sections.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:42 PM
Luzifer
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
With C7 and C8 the demographic of Corvette owners is changing to a younger crowd which is great for the longer term sustainability of the car.

But I find younger owners are less technical, less likely to understand the mechanics of how a car operates, never mind picking up a wrench to work on their cars. There was a guy in the C8 section who was wondering what the puddle of water was under his parked car after a run in hot weather with the AC running. Sheesh....

I have an older BMW Z3 roadster and belong to a Bimmer Forum. There is way less info posted there about how to fix or work on your car than is posted here about our vettes. The C8 would certainly be pulling in former BMW owners.

So there it is, the younger crowd buying newer corvettes are just different from owners of older variants.
Originally Posted by Mad*Max
How young are we talking, where are they getting the cash flow?
GM knew what they were doing with the C7 with the new look. I watch a lot of super car channels on U-tube and I bet GM took inspiration from those young vloggers and their audience. They wanted a piece of the action by attracting a younger generation with a more exotic look (The tail lights for example). It worked, I was finally interested, the previous models didn't grab my eye not one bit. Round tail lights weren't for me. That and the lack of technology inside, navigation, blue tooth, mp3 player etc. didn't make it all that enticing for the amount of money spent.
I bought a C7 because it was the only car in my opinion that looked exotic enough and getting close in specs to a super car. I also put several cosmetic mods to appreciate the look.

Where the younger crowd get their money? The baby boomers are retiring by the thousands and the new generation are making more money as new construction contractors and remodels, young adults who become business owners because they took their parent's spot at the helm. A lot of people work at the government making big wages. Then you have those in the digital era making a lot of dough on computers. Then you also have those that you think have money with fancy cars and houses but go bankrupt. You also have the children of immigrants where their parents were wealthy in their prior country.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:55 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Al hangs with people 10 - 30 years younger cuz EVERY ONE is 10 - 30 years younger than Al!
Old 01-15-2021, 12:59 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dankhts
Al hangs with people 10 - 30 years younger cuz EVERY ONE is 10 - 30 years younger than Al!

Quick Reply: This forum near 'dead' status