Champion C5 Magnuson Heartbeat Runs 10.3 @138mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:13 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Champion C5 Magnuson Heartbeat Runs 10.3 @138mph

Fun day yesterday at Cayuga.

Some of you know Champion Motors just recently installed a Magnuson Hearbeat S/C on my C5 with a forged 402ci motor.

Car dyno'ed a nice conservative 660rwhp through an automatic 4L60.
Dyno is somewhat deceiving cuz on the dyno run, car had a stock 4L60 and we were certain it wouldn't withstand a stab of the throttle from this combo, so Kevin rolled on the throttle conservatively. It's obvious the car makes significantly more torque in the low rpm than the dyno indicates.

So after Champion went thru the driveline and replaced some usual parts to withstand the abuse this driveline would have to withstand, including a built 4L60 Champion recommended, off to Cayuga we went to see how well the package works, and to determine if there was any weaknesses we need to address.

First pass was launched in second gear, and car ran a 10.7 with a 1.9 short.

Several subsequent passes made it obviously clear we had too much power and not enough traction for a first gear launch, despite a good burnout and rolling into the throttle.

Last pass we conceded defeat, and figured it best to launch in 2nd gear again. Glad we did, cuz it gave us our best run of the day at a 10.3 at 138mph.

This is on a full weight C5, with a 305 MT D/Radial, and full tire up front, full exhaust, full street trim.

We discussed with Rob our next few steps we'll need to do to get this car into the 9's, which considering it's running low 10's with a 2nd gear launch, once we add traction with some gear changes, and a 10-rib setup, I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult.

Wanted to thank Champion for their flawless work on my car. First time we did some hard runs with this car, and even after a few consecutive hot laps, car ran consistent, an never showed any sign of distress. Additionally, car can be driven daily, with full exhaust, full weight car that is just about as docile as a stock C5. I've had loud and obnoxious C5 and C6's over the years, and gets old quickly.
After all this, drove the car home, with a sense of accomplishment and pride that it'd consistently wipe the floor with anything short of a production hyper-car.

Fun fact of comparison on the time slip, the car on the left was a '15 GTR.
Got the hit off the line, but was fun to watch the C5 blow by him at mid track!
Attached Images   

Last edited by tlaselva; 10-11-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaselva

Some of you know Champion Motors just recently installed a Magnuson Hearbeat S/C on my C5 with a forged 402ci motor.

Dyno is somewhat deceiving cuz on the dyno run, car had a stock 4L60 and we were certain it wouldn't withstand a stab of the throttle from this combo, so Kevin rolled on the throttle conservatively. It's obvious the car makes significantly more torque in the low rpm than the dyno indicates.

So after Champion went thru the driveline and replaced some usual parts to withstand the abuse this driveline would have to withstand, including a built 4L60 Champion recommended, off to Cayuga we went to see how well the package works, and to determine if there was any weaknesses we need to address.

Several subsequent passes made it obviously clear we had too much power and not enough traction for a first gear launch, despite a good burnout and rolling into the throttle.

Last pass we conceded defeat, and figured it best to launch in 2nd gear again. Glad we did, cuz it gave us our best run of the day at a 10.3 at 138mph.

This is on a full weight C5, with a 305 MT D/Radial, and full tire up front, full exhaust, full street trim.

We discussed with Rob our next few steps we'll need to do to get this car into the 9's, which considering it's running low 10's with a 2nd gear launch, once we add traction with some gear changes, and a 10-rib setup, I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult.

Wanted to thank Champion for their flawless work on my car. First time we did some hard runs with this car, and even after a few consecutive hot laps, car ran consistent, an never showed any sign of distress. Additionally, car can be driven daily, with full exhaust, full weight car that is just about as docile as a stock C5. I've had loud and obnoxious C5 and C6's over the years, and gets old quickly.
After all this, drove the car home, with a sense of accomplishment and pride that it'd consistently wipe the floor with anything short of a production hyper-car.

Well tony I new the car would run low ten's and 9's are a tire away. Congrats bro. Must be nice to take off in second and still run low ten's.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 PM
ZOHSIC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw Rob take it down for the 10.3 pass. Car goes great and will surprise many that pull beside I'm sure. 660 at the wheels is HUGE!

I wondered if it was an auto.

Are you going full slick to lay it all down? You should be able to still run a D/R with an auto no?

Anyway, awesome car.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:57 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FunCool
Well tony I new the car would run low ten's and 9's are a tire away. Congrats bro. Must be nice to take off in second and still run low ten's.
Thanks Funcool, wanted to thank you for your help/guidance with this combo. They don't call u the Maggie King for nothin'.

Ironic how this 660rwhp roots blower setup ran the same time than my 910rwhp Centri setup did ergo at a much lower mph trap.
Only difference was the centri was 6-speed and 345 M/T DR, and this setup is an auto with 305 M/T.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZOHSIC
Saw Rob take it down for the 10.3 pass. Car goes great and will surprise many that pull beside I'm sure. 660 at the wheels is HUGE!

I wondered if it was an auto.

Are you going full slick to lay it all down? You should be able to still run a D/R with an auto no?

Anyway, awesome car.
660rwhp being huge is a matter of perspective. Had a c5 with 910rwhp, so 660rwhp seems docile to me.

Likely going to go with a ET Street, not a big fan of slicks. Also going to go with a 28" tire which should reduce the torque to a more manageable level, especially in a 1st gear hard launch.
A 345 M/T DR would also improve things, just not certain it would be enough. This combo hits HARD once you nail it, even off idle.
Rob ran a 1.6 short nailing the throttle from idle in second gear.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:43 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

660rwhp being huge is a matter of perspective. Had a c5 with 910rwhp, so 660rwhp seems docile to me.

Likely going to go with a ET Street, not a big fan of slicks. Also going to go with a 28" tire which should reduce the torque to a more manageable level, especially in a 1st gear hard launch.
A 345 M/T DR would also improve things, just not certain it would be enough. This combo hits HARD once you nail it, even off idle.
It was a fun day. Thank you for letting me take it down, haven't been down the track in a fast car in a long time

Last edited by Rob@ChampionMotors; 10-12-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:15 AM
ZOHSIC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a few guys that have had good results with the new Mickey Thompson X275 radial and they drill them so they don't spin on the rim.

They run 9.50's - 9.60's and one guy as low as 9.1 on them.

Running 9's with 660whp is awesome no matter how you look at it.

Everyone I know that runs 9's has had a lot of things to do to dial it in.

Cheers again
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM
JUSTAKAR
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default well done

Great time..
Old 10-12-2015, 11:54 AM
HIGH MPH
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats Tony, 9's are a couple minor changes away
Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 PM
GrandPrixRollsOut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:34 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very impressive numbers ... Especially torque ... must pull like a bastard ...
Old 10-14-2015, 07:16 AM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Funcool, wanted to thank you for your help/guidance with this combo. They don't call u the Maggie King for nothin'.

Ironic how this 660rwhp roots blower setup ran the same time than my 910rwhp Centri setup did ergo at a much lower mph trap.
Only difference was the centri was 6-speed and 345 M/T DR, and this setup is an auto with 305 M/T.
With the stage two(ssp), the car will hit 142mph and run 9's very easy. 345 M/T also are a must. Thanks for the kind word!

Get notified of new replies

To Champion C5 Magnuson Heartbeat Runs 10.3 @138mph

Quick Reply: Champion C5 Magnuson Heartbeat Runs 10.3 @138mph