Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Ontario Tire Surcharge ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:38 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Default Ontario Tire Surcharge ?

I had the dealer work up some pricing on a second car (not a Corvette). In the parperwork was an item "4CV Ontario Tire Surcharge - $28". Has anybody in Ontario heard about this ? Is it legitimate ?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I had the dealer work up some pricing on a second car (not a Corvette). In the parperwork was an item "4CV Ontario Tire Surcharge - $28". Has anybody in Ontario heard about this ? Is it legitimate ?
All new tires and new car purchases, now come with this "eco" charge. It's roughly $6/tire.

It's been out now for a couple of years.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 AM
up nprth al
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

from what i was told you do not have to pay it , its for disposal of tires well you are not getting rid of them yet so they can not charge you plus i don't know about your area but i can dispose of up to 12 tires a year with no charges

Last edited by up nprth al; 03-30-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That damn "Eco Fee" BS!!
Something Dolton MaGuilty snuck in and Kathleen (Premiere Reddenbocker) is happy to keep. They just pull these fees and amounts out of a hat. I remember buying cans of paint, same cans, same store at different times with different amounts of this 'Eco" fee.

How the hell did they get voted in AGAIN?!? I never voted for them once, let alone twice.

Sorry to go on a Political rant, but looks like this is what this Tire fee is to me.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I've been paying this for the last few years.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by up nprth al
from what i was told you do not have to pay it , its for disposal of tires well you are not getting rid of them yet so they can not charge you plus i don't know about your area but i can dispose of up to 12 tires a year with no charges
if you have more on this I would be interested to know...in our area you can dispose of tires for free at Canadian Tire
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by up nprth al
I have tried to find more information about this but no luck. Dealer says it is required by the province for them to collect. I think this is another tax grab by the Liberals. We really need a consumer revolt about these eco fees since there is no proof they are doing any good.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 207 Posts

on heavy trucks it's invoiced to us right from the manufacturer at $14.60 per tire. It was tested legally and the outcome was that they have to charge us for it (from manufacturer to dealer)..only in Ontario btw.....so pretty much all dealers will pass it along whether they show it on the bill of sale or not..... not really a big deal on a car IMO at $6 - 7 per tire when you're buying one for 75 Gs, not as bad as the AC excise tax but still a bitter pill when there's taxes on top of those taxes!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:03 AM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm buying tires for aftermarket rims on my half ton, the tire guy calls it a "tire levy".
Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

This falls under the Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS) Program.

Here are the list of fees.

http://rethinktires.ca/program-parti....qXjYRMee.dpbs
Old 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Monte04ss
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
This falls under the Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS) Program.

Here are the list of fees.

http://rethinktires.ca/program-parti....qXjYRMee.dpbs

Funny,

I bought tires for my daily driver, sent them to CBi, paid the 13% at customs and had them mounted last week. No tire ECO charge ! ( also saved 200$ Vs buying here, with shipping, exchange and CBi fees incl)
Another reason our gov't is making it harder to do business in Canada !
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Here in Quebec, customers are charge 3$ / tires when they buy new tires. At the purchase of a new car whit a spare it is 5X3$=15$.

It doesn't mather if you leave old tires or not, they get you at the start. After that if you have 25 old tires at home, just bring them to you regular shop for disposal at no cost. The good thing about this is for the retailers. Before this 3$ fee on new tires it was 1$ / used tires to be paid when you where getting rid of them, almost every morning I was opening the shop whit a bundle of scrap tires that peoples had left overnignt because they didn't want to pay the 1$ fee
Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte04ss
Funny,

I bought tires for my daily driver, sent them to CBi, paid the 13% at customs and had them mounted last week. No tire ECO charge ! ( also saved 200$ Vs buying here, with shipping, exchange and CBi fees incl)
Another reason our gov't is making it harder to do business in Canada !
that is a heck of a deal, i priced some last week doing it the same way, and $160 more to ship to CB warehouse, + i would have to go fetch them and pay for mounting and balancing, not sure what that would be, maybe $25. tire ? so would be upto $250. minimum more to buy US.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I have tried to find more information about this but no luck. Dealer says it is required by the province for them to collect. I think this is another tax grab by the Liberals. We really need a consumer revolt about these eco fees since there is no proof they are doing any good.
We are changed the tax on each and every tire we purchase. It is not a disposal fee. It's just like buying a TV.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
that is a heck of a deal, i priced some last week doing it the same way, and $160 more to ship to CB warehouse, + i would have to go fetch them and pay for mounting and balancing, not sure what that would be, maybe $25. tire ? so would be upto $250. minimum more to buy US.
Bought my tires last summer when the dollar was in better shape.Shipped to my doorstep by Discount Tire Direct for $40 per tire extra for shipping & misc fees.UPS dropped them off in two days-no extra charges,no CBI tire fees,no trying to be nice to the Cdn customs guy telling me to add another 13%.GS/Z06 tires can be pricey ,especially the Michelin Run Flats,but i'm happy & felt I did well.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:05 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Polar Jet
We are changed the tax on each and every tire we purchase. It is not a disposal fee. It's just like buying a TV.
I think the auto manufacturer should be paying this fee and absorbing it in the cost of the vehicle. Seems to me that we get too many fees passed down to the end consumer. How about the $400 doc fee most dealers charge to print your bill of sale ? It has to stop somewhere. Before long I think the goverment will charge us a "dangerous fluid eco tax" for all the fluids in the vehicle. I think they have someone staying up late trying to find other ways into our pockets.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 PM
up nprth al
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

the one i really hate and refuse to pay is PDI , (pre deliver inspection) if i am buying a new car motorcycle or snowmobile it better be right from the factory when i pick it up , if not i am bringing it back under warranty anyways so i am refuse to pay PDI .

and tell me why i pay more for freight on a Chrysler built in Brampton then someone in California and unless you are paying me for advertizing there better not be any dealer stickers either
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You're not alone-every province has some sort of eco-tax grab on all new tires,governments everywhere need to keep those cubicles full of useless overpaid paper shufflers putting in time to collect their inflated pensions...

Get notified of new replies

To Ontario Tire Surcharge ?

Quick Reply: Ontario Tire Surcharge ?