Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Lift Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Lift Install

Thought I would give a quick review of my lift install, and my overall impression of the process.

Decided on the Restomod, 8000lb 4 post from the Lift Superstore in Oakville. Dealt with James, he knew his stuff. The locks on this model are slightly different from their other model as well as the Direct Lift. I liked the steel drip trays, and the 12x12 base plates. I used this model as I have a 3 inch slope over the length of the lift. Apparently this lift is good for up to a 4 inch slope. Looks scary, but quite stable.

Picked it up at their store, on Speers Rd. I rented a U Haul 5x12 box trailer, handled the 1800lbs no problem, but it was strapped down well, very heavy. Once home, I was lucky enough to be able to borrow an extendable forklift. I dismantled the crate right in the trailer, then used the forklift to lift the two ramps right in to the garage. Everything else could be handled by one person.

I (old) had two friends (old) and my wife ()helping out so we all maybe totalled 1.75 able bodies. In a short time we were able to get the 4 posts, the two cross members, and the two ramps in to place and bolted together. I spent a few more hours myself putting the rest together. Because of the slope, and a little uneven floor I decided to bolt it down.

My ceiling height was 128 inches so I had to have a company come in and do the high lift conversion on the garage door. I opted not to mess with the spring.

Overall everything went well, as planned. The instructions/ install manual is c$@p, to the point of being useless. It was almost as if the instructions were for a different lift (but they were not)I will follow up with the Lift Superstore. I had no issue at all with the fit of the components, everything was there in good condition. I did experience a leak in the hydraulic line, but with no proper assembly instructions, and not having a background in hydraulics I probably missed an O ring or Teflon tape. I used 220 power, wired by way of an extension cord to my welder plug. The lift works great, and would recommend it, and The Lift Superstore. (And I have no connection whatsoever to this company)
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Thank-you for the write-up and info. The next place we build will have a lift.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the review - I am looking at a lift as well. It's down to this one and the ParkPro8 from Direct lift (ADG Forward).

It would be so nice to be able to work on my own car as well as having the extra space.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 04silverZ06
Thanks for the review - I am looking at a lift as well. It's down to this one and the ParkPro8 from Direct lift (ADG Forward).

It would be so nice to be able to work on my own car as well as having the extra space.
I agree, thanks for the review as I've also been on the lookout for a lift but am in no hurry. I guess when the right deal comes along.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

At first glance (to my 60 year old eyes) the Vette looked like a station wagon conversion. It didn't actually look bad either..
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM
slickpete83
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

stupid question , but how high (feet) is your garage ceiling ??? , reason I'm asking is because i've been to a few open houses with only 1 garage and I'm always thinking if it could fit a lift in there
Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by slickpete83
stupid question , but how high (feet) is your garage ceiling ??? , reason I'm asking is because i've been to a few open houses with only 1 garage and I'm always thinking if it could fit a lift in there
See first post.
Originally Posted by Norm07
My ceiling height was 128 inches so I had to have a company come in and do the high lift conversion on the garage door. I opted not to mess with the spring.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Take it from a former LiftSuperstore customer - they are not that great to do work on, the ramps are wide leaving not too much in the middle. Great for oil changes, maybe exhaust and few other items + lifting cars up slightly to clean/wax 2 post best for working on cars
Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

Maybe different models available?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, but most larger and longer.....mine I had about 4-5 inches clearance to the mirrors. ramps are simply wide period.....and if you had the space for these larger lifts....well, do you really need a lift in the first place?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
2 post best for working on cars
I agree, unfortunately they're two wide for my and most garages. If you want a narrow host (103.5") then you don't have a choice other then the 4 post.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I, too, would like to purchase and install a 4 post lift.
My primary purpose is storage.
I've done a bit of shopping for a lift to fit my garage - positive company referrals as shared in this thread are helpful.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by slickpete83
I have 128 inches, ceiling height. My garage door guy did a great job and was able to move the door to within inches of the ceiling. My intention was to put two bikes underneath because of the limited height but when it was all said and done I could get the Corvette to the highest position, and walk freely beneath it. I can now put a car or ride the bikes right underneath with no headroom issues.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 AM
slickpete83
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm07
I have 128 inches, ceiling height. My garage door guy did a great job and was able to move the door to within inches of the ceiling. My intention was to put two bikes underneath because of the limited height but when it was all said and done I could get the Corvette to the highest position, and walk freely beneath it. I can now put a car or ride the bikes right underneath with no headroom issues.
^ nice height u have , the freehold townhouse i was looking at was 105" ( 8' 10") with a bedroom above the garage , not enough i guess , and no way to increase ceiling height

Last edited by slickpete83; 08-21-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lift Install

Quick Reply: Lift Install