Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Garage flooring options

Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 AM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Garage flooring options

Looking at finishing my garage flooring. I got a quote from Premier Garage and they want $6-8 per sq foot depending on which option - I've got 400 sq ft..

Not really wanting to spend that much - are there cheaper but durable quality options available?

thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 AM
infernobuster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on what you want to put down there are a few options;

1. Do it yourself acrylic epoxy
2. Racefloor tiles
3. G Floor

Everyone will have different thoughts on each one, and each has their pros/cons.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM
greatcanadian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took delivery of the Racedeck tiles and they look cool. Have only laid a few out as I am waiting a bit to install( rather my C7 than the Wife's Honda Odyssey park on it)...that of course is if i can ever get the C7 delivered...

The race deck averaged between $2.29 and $3.49 per tile...there are different levels of tile but relatively in expensive. i bought the freeflow tiles which look great and provide vents for dirt and water to drain through.

One thing i will say...don't take their first price if you ask for a quote...they will get aggressive..

all quotes in USD BTW
Old 08-12-2014, 12:07 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

I was just looking at the Racedeck 'Tuffshield'. I like that it looks like a solid floor so I can easily wash it down and squeegee it off. Also if I ever sell the house I can take it with me if the new owner has no interest in it. I think I will request a quote.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Racedeck a great option. Did mne few years ago and still looks new. A tip.. order a few extra tiles in each color. If you happen to damage one it takes a minute to change it out.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

I just got a quote for $4.29 / foot / tile for the Tuffshield which sounds kinda high. On top of this I need to pay for shipping, customs & tax. Definitely time to negotiate!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 04silverZ06
I just got a quote for $4.29 / foot / tile for the Tuffshield which sounds kinda high. On top of this I need to pay for shipping, customs & tax. Definitely time to negotiate!
Wait until they have a sale,they usually do anytime there is a holiday,I.e. Fathers Day,Independence Day, Thanksgiving etc.The price also lowers if you buy so many square feet.I needed about 450 & ended up buying 500.I got a better deal,have spares,& they threw in free shipping to CBI in Niagara Falls NY.Get on their e mail list & you will be notified when deals or sales are pending.Also have them put the invoice on the OUTSIDE of the box & to e mail you a copy.Normally they do not include invoices on non commercial sales.Let me put it this way,I got to know the customs guy better than most of my family.BTW,over 400 sq.ft. will be about 10 4 ft X 4 ft.cases of tiles.Take a vehicle big enough.I had a Nissan Rogue at the time & almost had to leave my wife behind!I had 11 cases.

Last edited by Airwilf; 08-12-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add info/typo
Old 08-12-2014, 03:49 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Airwilf
wait until they have a sale,they usually do anytime there is a holiday,I.e. Fathers Day,Independence Day, Thanksgiving etc.The price also lowers if you buy so many square feet.I needed about 450 & ended up buying 500.I got a better deal,have spares,$ they threw in free shipping to CBI in Niagara Falls NY.Get on their e mail list $ you will be notified when deals or sales are pending.Also have them put the invoice on the OUTSIDE of the box $ to e mail you a copy.Normal they do not include invoices on non commercial sales.Let me put it this way,I got to know the customs guy better than most of my family.
I just remembered that I don't think there is customs fees on any product made in the US?

Where and what is CBI?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just remembered that I don't think there is customs fees on any product made in the US?

Where and what is CBI?
No customs fees ,but sales tax (HST).It's the customs officer I got to know.CBI is in Niagara Falls NY, about 5 min from the boder.Check out www.cbiusa.com.You do NOT have to join,be a member or have a mail box.Like most of us here on the forum,we pay as we go.There $5.95 per parcel, no time limit on storage.When you're ready to go for a pick up,let me know as I can throw in a few more pointers for you.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I like the look of epoxy, but don't make a mistake of buying the garbage from Home Depot, go to Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams - next time I'll be using their stuff.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Airwilf
No customs fees ,but sales tax (HST).It's the customs officer I got to know.CBI is in Niagara Falls NY, about 5 min from the boder.Check out www.cbiusa.com.You do NOT have to join,be a member or have a mail box.Like most of us here on the forum,we pay as we go.There $5.95 per parcel, no time limit on storage.When you're ready to go for a pick up,let me know as I can throw in a few more pointers for you.
hint: don t go on a long weekend
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by sami85L98
No you can, but by 8 am or before you should be at the border, means start early before mini van hit the road.....lol.
i went last long wknd here, left east side of town here at 8, was there by 9:30 and back home by noon. and even had a interview with customs.heh
Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Canadian Tire Sometimes Has Rubber Tiles On Sale

My double garage is over size and I didn't want to spend a fortune for a garage floor. I purchased rubber tiles from Canadian tire for about $1.70 per square foot. They are very durable and comfortable to walk on. They went down fast with just a rubber mallet.

Two issues:

1. Make sure your garage floor is very level. Dips in floor increase the total distance versus areas without dips. This makes connected tiles more difficult. If I had to do a floor again, I would fill dips using a long straight edge.

2. They can swell somewhat with moisture.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 AM
04silverZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Rich Farr
My double garage is over size and I didn't want to spend a fortune for a garage floor. I purchased rubber tiles from Canadian tire for about $1.70 per square foot. They are very durable and comfortable to walk on. They went down fast with just a rubber mallet.

Two issues:

1. Make sure your garage floor is very level. Dips in floor increase the total distance versus areas without dips. This makes connected tiles more difficult. If I had to do a floor again, I would fill dips using a long straight edge.

2. They can swell somewhat with moisture.
This sounds like an interesting option. Would you happen to know which product at CT it is or a link?

I don't want to spend a lot either - but my real estate agent did say it's an investment so I don't mind spending some as long as it's durable.

thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM
greatcanadian
Advanced

One other option you may want to consider is polishing your concrete. I am having it done under the race deck floor because there are some area's of the garage that I don't plan to race deck.

I have a very large oversized garage and it will cost between $1000 and 1400 to grind the floor and polish it to a shine. I will post some pictures next week when its completed..they are starting Tuesday and it takes about 2 days. You can google "polished concrete" to get an idea of what the end result looks like.

Also to the comment around shipping and duties being expensive with race deck..that is fair, while the product was inexpensive the shipping, customs and duties was $199.00 on my order to Ontario...It did arrive in three days however..
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by greatcanadian
One other option you may want to consider is polishing your concrete. I am having it done under the race deck floor because there are some area's of the garage that I don't plan to race deck.

I have a very large oversized garage and it will cost between $1000 and 1400 to grind the floor and polish it to a shine. I will post some pictures next week when its completed..they are starting Tuesday and it takes about 2 days. You can google "polished concrete" to get an idea of what the end result looks like.

Also to the comment around shipping and duties being expensive with race deck..that is fair, while the product was inexpensive the shipping, customs and duties was $199.00 on my order to Ontario...It did arrive in three days however..
I had originally thought of polishing the concrete so I proceeded to email a couple companies - neither responded. But doesn't there need to be a coating to protect the concrete?

Looking forward to your pics.

Also I like the idea of not loosing any nights of garage use with self installing tiles.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
greatcanadian
Advanced

I had originally thought of polishing the concrete so I proceeded to email a couple companies - neither responded. But doesn't there need to be a coating to protect the concrete?

Looking forward to your pics.

Also I like the idea of not loosing any nights of garage use with self installing tiles.
I will fill you in after I see the finish...My good friend owns a cleaning services company in Toronto and he has a trained crew that polish concrete..I understand they grind and then add some chemicals and finish that pour on prior to buffing out...

we will see...I have been playing around with the race deck tiles a bit while I wait for the floor to finish..they are very easy to connect and set up...if you go that route it should not take long

stay tuned.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage flooring options

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage flooring options