Canadian Events Canada, eh?

sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Default sound deadening

am looking for sound barrier / deadening, have searched all the threads, and haven t seen anything to convincing yet, and when i did, it is only available in the states. anyone used anything successfully ? or i may have my week old PRT s for sale. trying to reduce some of the cabin noise. they told me might be a bit loud, but no drone, well there definition and mine differ i believe. heh
Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

I used the madmatt insulation stuff, really made a big difference in cutting down on the heat transfer, but did little to cut down on the noise...road noise maybe but not exhaust noise....I believe Sami installed the same stuff just recently.... Virtually no weight added, the spray on / brush on stuff does a bit more to cut down on the noise but adds lot more weight to the car if that's a concern to some people.... If you find something better let me know I'll try it too....my car gettin pretty loud...
Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dankhts
I used the madmatt insulation stuff, really made a big difference in cutting down on the heat transfer, but did little to cut down on the noise...road noise maybe but not exhaust noise....I believe Sami installed the same stuff just recently.... Virtually no weight added, the spray on / brush on stuff does a bit more to cut down on the noise but adds lot more weight to the car if that's a concern to some people.... If you find something better let me know I'll try it too....my car gettin pretty loud...
i saw Sami s thread, and what you guys did, didn t sound too good for the noise issue. maybe i ll take a broom handle and stuff them full of steel wool
Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My wife hated the interior noise in my car, a C5 Coupe.

I did basically three things:
First I used the Frost-King duct sealer and applied it on all surfaces in the hatch and interior. Particular attention was given to the storage bins and spare tire cavity. I had a modest improvement. Second I got my hands on some fireproof, sound deadening household insulation available at the big box building stores. I stuffed it in every orfice I could find including the bins and spare tire cavity. The downside it is heavy; way heavier than conventional insulation. The improvement was incredible. It is truly like a different car. Third I installed a divider between the hatch and the passenger compartment. It is basically a piece of plexiglass with carpet attached to both sides. It is not a full partition but rather is even in height with the level where the hatch joins the body. Much to my surprise it did improve things.

Given that I did not have a heat issue if I were doing it again I would forget the Frost-King
Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Not 100% sure that this helped because I barely drove my car before ripping the interior out.

I went and got the Duct insulation rolls they sell at *Blowes* and added it to the entire interior. this stuff is foil with rubber that us pre-glued, just peel and stick.

It did make a difference to the heat transfer and to the sound, but I cannot qualify it for you as to how much if a difference. I think I ended up buying 4 rolls for the entire car at -25.00 each.

I can at least have a conversation with my wife in the car now while we are driving...it was pretty much impossible before. And I here the radio very clear too.

Ken
Old 08-09-2014, 09:08 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 74Ken
Not 100% sure that this helped because I barely drove my car before ripping the interior out.

I went and got the Duct insulation rolls they sell at *Blowes* and added it to the entire interior. this stuff is foil with rubber that us pre-glued, just peel and stick.

It did make a difference to the heat transfer and to the sound, but I cannot qualify it for you as to how much if a difference. I think I ended up buying 4 rolls for the entire car at -25.00 each.

I can at least have a conversation with my wife in the car now while we are driving...it was pretty much impossible before. And I here the radio very clear too.

Ken
Ken. that s what i am looking for, too start with anyway. do remember what it was called ? been to Home Desperate, and they don t have anything like that.

your ramp idea works great for me, that i got from you last year. am sure this wiĺ also.
Al

Last edited by walleyejack; 08-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Hey Al, I am glad the ramps work for you...Still never saw a post of the completed ramps!!!

I am installing a sink in the garage this weekend to add to the 'Vette requirements' I told my wife I needed.

Here is the stuff I got, it was on sale when I did mine.
http://www.lowes.ca/duct-insulation/..._g1194726.html
Old 08-09-2014, 09:21 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

thank you Ken. will try it. double it up. ears are ringing after half hour drive. lol
will get some ramp pics. i cut them into sectioms. easier to handle.
Al
Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure that would work, especially under the carpet...the foil top does tend to separate from the rubber backing if touched to much.
If you are talking in the doors or somewhere else, then maybe.
I have not spray-tacked my carpet down yet as I am still fine-tuning the interior speakers and such.

Just a thought
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 74Ken
I'm not sure that would work, especially under the carpet...the foil top does tend to separate from the rubber backing if touched to much.
If you are talking in the doors or somewhere else, then maybe.
I have not spray-tacked my carpet down yet as I am still fine-tuning the interior speakers and such.

Just a thought
Frost King is what's being talked about here.
Easy to use and relatively cheap but not really made for sound proofing.

There are all kinds of professional products (with out all the hype) out there - and all kinds of info on the internet.
Anything that works requires "mass" - weight !

I bought Kool Mat that NASCAR race shops use, haven't installed it yet.

Got a great deal ; bought it right from the lady who invented and who distributes it in NC.

Plain old jute (carpet under padding) works marvellous.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by QIK59
Frost King is what's being talked about here.
Easy to use and relatively cheap but not really made for sound proofing.

There are all kinds of professional products (with out all the hype) out there - and all kinds of info on the internet.
Anything that works requires "mass" - weight !

I bought Kool Mat that NASCAR race shops use, haven't installed it yet.

Got a great deal ; bought it right from the lady who invented and who distributes it in NC.

Plain old jute (carpet under padding) works marvellous.
as most ppl are going with something like Dynamat/clone or spray from cos like Second Skin, DEI etc on which has the mass to deaden the sound and for heat add things like al foil backed closed cell foam, spray again with ceramic spheres like Second Skin etc. There are plenty threads on the CF or just search Google/Bing on how to make your own spray on heat paint using regular latex and adding ceramic micro ***** which is a much cheaper route than going with the name brand suppliers and ppl have had excellent results.

I wasn't aware of the sound and heat issues in the C5/6's but owning a C3 we sure get it. I am doing this next spring when I add Vintage Air and install my new carpet, door panels etc.

I'm looking fwd on reading what you guys found worked best.

Last edited by gdh; 08-14-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

i am waiting on info back from KoolMat. going to check them out and see what they have to offer.

am starting look like a Google. fingers down to the second knuckle.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Google alternatives to Lizard Skin, some interesting threads. I know LS uses micro ceramic ***** in their mix. Ppl have had excellent results using inexpensive latex and the ceramic *****. Can be sprayed, brushed or rolled. Put this down first, let dry then add a sound deadener. Here's one to check out. http://www.hytechsales.com/insulatin...additives.html

Last edited by gdh; 08-14-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gdh
Google alternatives to Lizard Skin, some interesting threads. I know LS uses micro ceramic ***** in their mix. Ppl have had excellent results using inexpensive latex and the ceramic *****. Can be sprayed, brushed or rolled. Put this down first, let dry then add a sound deadener. Here's one to check out. http://www.hytechsales.com/insulatin...additives.html
very interesting.. don t see anyone has used it on the forum here, but will keep searching.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

There have been a number of C1 - C3 owners make their own up with good results. Here's an ongoing thread in paint/body with Punisher Vette. If you go this route use the ceramic *****/ballons not the reg glass balloons. They are finer and stronger, if painting with a brush only brush in one direction too keep the ***** suspended *** much as possible vs forcing them to the bottom of the paint. I've seen lizard Skin being applied and it is sort of the consistency of pancake batter and make sure to use a mask/respirator when mixing. This stuff is like a fine white powder and would not be good to get into your lungs.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pain...-painting.html

Last edited by gdh; 08-14-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:30 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Here ya go, cheap and easy, and they even match your car!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Here ya go, cheap and easy, and they even match your car!

eh !

Get notified of new replies

To sound deadening

Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gdh
Yep bought a gallon of that along with the special thinner ? too (hypertech stuff) - and there it sits in my basement LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i am waiting on info back from KoolMat. going to check them out and see what they have to offer.

am starting look like a Google. fingers down to the second knuckle.
They had kits for special type cars (early Vette's , Jag's etc) - they were roughly cut to size and then required trimming to suit.

Stuff is heavy and expensive to ship.

I have a box of cut-off's she gave me - just small pieces.
I could possibly give you a piece to check out (see if you care to invest in it).

You could always "undo" whatever "improvement" you made to bring the problem on LOL - whatever PRT'S are ??

Last edited by QIK59; 08-15-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by QIK59
They had kits for special type cars (early Vette's , Jag's etc) - they were roughly cut to size and then required trimming to suit.

I have a box of cut-off's she gave me - just little stuff - could possibly make starter shields from them.

Stuff is heavy and expensive to ship.

I could possibly give you a piece to check out (see if you care to invest in it).

You could always "undo" whatever "improvement" you made to bring the problem on LOL - whatever PRT'S are ??

PRT s = B&B Bullets, only with a resonator on them.
no drone on the highway.

Quick Reply: sound deadening