Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Cheese Truck Fire in Milton yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Cheese Truck Fire in Milton yesterday

Hey Chris (jutskin). Hope this wasn't one of yours.

http://www.cp24.com/news/hwy-401-wes...ames-1.1949679

Joshua Freeman, CP24.com
Published Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:54AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:16PM EDT

All westbound lanes of Highway 401 have reopened at Highway 25 in Milton after being closed for hours Thursday because of a truck fire and diesel spill.

The fire happened around 7:45 a.m. Pictures shared on social media showed a truck engulfed in flames. Ontario Provincial Police said the truck was carrying cheese at the time.

Firefighters, paramedics and police were called to the scene. No injuries were reported.
Photos
Highway 401 west closed after cheese truck fire

Firefighters work to extinguish a blaze after a tractor trailer carrying cheese burst into flames on the westbound lanes of highway 401 in Milton Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014. (@WilcoxBodies /Twitter)
Highway 401 west traffic

A backlog of traffic is shown on Highway 401 west Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014. (@graceofrhythm/Twitter)

The road reopened briefly around 11 a.m. to allow a backlog of vehicles to clear, but then closed again for repaving. The highway fully reopened around 3 p.m.

Motorists who were stuck in the backlog during the busy morning commute took to social media to express their frustration.

“We have been stuck here for over 1 hour!” Twitter user @LuluTTMark wrote around 8:30 a.m.

“Stay off the 401 west between Mississauga and Guelph line. I haven't seen a traffic jam like that in years. 13km of parked cars!” wrote @jdalgetty.

The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I was stuck in that traffic jam! And I'm off work for the summer too, so I figured I wouldn't see any traffic jams until September!

I was heading to Manny's shop in Breslau, and as soon as I got towards Milton I could see the black smoke in the air, but it looked to me like it was north of the 401 so I thought I'd be ok, as I didn't hear anything on the traffic report yet either. But then soon after that the traffic slowed down and then completely stopped. I shut off my engine and sat on the 401 for two hours!!! Worst traffic jam of my entire life. I heard on the radio that the backlog was as much as 17km!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

I wonder if Justkin is gonna have to raise his prices now 'cuz of the cheese shortage...

Get notified of new replies

To Cheese Truck Fire in Milton yesterday

Quick Reply: Cheese Truck Fire in Milton yesterday