Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Bogus Fitness club overdue account

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:55 PM
McFence
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogus Fitness club overdue account

Wondering if anyone has encountered a similar situation.

I just found out an overdue account is on my credit report for a local fitness club.

Over 5 years ago I had a membership for 1 year - at the end of my contract I went to the front counter and told the teenager working there I wanted to cancel and signed whatever form I was presented with. Of course I did not keep any of those forms - I might have kept them for a year or 2 in case I could use it with my taxes or something - I often keep stuff for such reasons (who knows what tax laws will change next) but certainly not for this long.

I just found out the club has been holding my account open as an unpaid overdue account and growing monthly for all these years - if this goes unchecked then in several more years it could be 10's of thousands!! And it was only due to some inquiries about financing for my construction company that I was told this is on my credit report - Holy Crap I might have been years more before I learned!! I could be dealing with major issues with any future financing due to this bogus situation on my credit report!!!!

I found out the Consumer Protection act has a section for Changing, Renewing or Extending contracts and says I am to be presented with Written notice at the end of a contract about such changes, renewals or extensions.
- The notice I should have recieved would list all proposed changes
- Date effective
- How the consumer must respond
- What would happen to consumer if they fail to respond.

First - I know I canceled my contract at the end of my term, but I don't have the paperwork to prove it.

Second - I was never given notice of any changes, extensions or renewals to that 1 year contract.

I own a small construction company and contracts are a way of life for me and I am diligent about my paperwork and the type of person who would follow the rules. I know I did not recieve any such notice of change or renewals.

It was suggested I contact EQUIFAX and start procedures to cancel the claim, but it could take over a year.

Has anyone been through such a situation?? what did you do?? How much did EQUIFAX cost??

I have also read online that one of the top consumer complaints is against fitness clubs and how they often continue to charge clients after they cancel and are often beligerent and unresponsive as people try to sort things out.

This is very unsettling.

Dave
Old 07-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Grok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are well known issues at fitness clubs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/premier-fitne...port-1.1110093

Chances are that there already complaints about your ex-club. Google is your friend.

If it is any comfort, most legitimate lenders recognise the flaky flags on a credit report.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

did they not contact you all this time?

Get notified of new replies

To Bogus Fitness club overdue account

Quick Reply: Bogus Fitness club overdue account