Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Track or Not to Track, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k
You have a gorgeous ZR1..... For the last few years at Mosport ALMS race, I keep seeing a white ZR1 pace car.

Made me think of that
Thank you !

Originally Posted by TrackClub
1) First of all, congrats ICE for taking your car where it belongs: a track! A ZR1 is an awesome machine and very stout, but get oil tank and pan inserts form AviAid or your motor could go "boom". It is worth spending $500
Also Thank you! I think the ZR1's are garage kept too much! Although I do think it is going to be a collectible, for me I want to say I enjoyed my collectible and look how it still looks untouched..

2) Going to a school which provides rides (mainly USA based) is awesome but very costly in comparison to available choices (read: a few thousand vs a few hundred)
They do have instructor options depending when you sign up where you can have one with you all day giving you tips and helping you understand not only the track but your car. It's a respectable way to enjoy your car and there's rules so you don't pass unless you are signalled to do so, this keeps the chances of damage to your car to a min and giving you the opportunity to enjoy what your car was built to do while keeping your drivers licence

3) While mishaps do happen on tracks, it is virtually always the person at the steering wheel vs somebody else (aka "an idiot"). Unlike on public roads and hiways...
On the track don't have people playing with their cell phones, doing their nails, shaving, reading a book (yes reading a book WTF ) eating cereal in a bowl with milk, yes being on the road SO much I see all kinds of crazy things, and thankfully on the track it is a more controlled environment. I think those that have not tried it are the ones to judge against it

5) a proper racing license if for "wheel to wheel" racing, with a proper race car, according to proper sanctions, classifications, rules, safety, etc etc. This means one needs to have a dedicated race car, a hauler and a trailer. Read:$$$ Oh, and one needs to be very proficient skills wise already lest one may not survive T1 on lap 1.
Don't know if i'll pursue my car to go this far, or even if I will, more of an odd time out enjoying the power at my feet/hands.

7) The best way to learn high performance driving is to attend a proper driving school in your own car. I may sound biased, but I have done many different events and like Trillium Club as a leading school. Why? It is not for profit, so it is relatively cheap (in comparison only as a word cheap and track don't go together very well . It is run by volunteers. It provides for professional track marshals, EMS, etc. Yep, the same folks who you will see at the TUDOR event at CTMP next weekend work Trillium events as well. They are pros vs friends/family/buds of the organizer. It provides catered curriculum for all levels, from a complete novice to an expert driver who laps "solo". It has a well designed program, incl track, classroom and skid pad exercises. It is open to all makes and we get lots of Vettes! Go to www.soBMW.ca and then read "schools" tab on top left. It has all the info on prices, schedule, events, prep, pre-requisites, etc. Then go to www.torontotrackdays.com and see how Trillium compares to other orgs.
It is really interesting to sit passenger to your own car while someone shows off how easy it is to go around the track so easy and like a bird gliding away but at a high speed lol

8) It is absolutely worth tracking your Vette, even if just once. That's what they were DESIGNED for. And trust me, no amount of "spirited" street driving will ever equal a single lap at a race track. Not even close. Not to mention that would be totally dumb and illegal to start with. And if you think you already have the "skills" - wait until you go out with an instructor in his/her car (which you will as part of the Trillium's school curriculum
I agree what your 'skills' are on the street are really like being excited to do well with training wheels on your bicycle, you take them off and a whole new world !

Quick Reply: Track or Not to Track, that is the question