Canadian Events Canada, eh?

May purchase a C3 "Parts Car" .. ownership issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:15 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default May purchase a C3 "Parts Car" .. ownership issue.

Looking for opinions and any information here. I was looking at a '73 today that has a lot of bits I can use for my own car and sell the rest. OR. When I Dig deep enough into it when (if) I get it home I may consider putting it back together in the future. The issue is the present "owner" can't find the ownership. He is going to look for it but I figure if you are going to sell something you would find that first.. but.. He told me he has had the car for over 30 years but never transfered the ownership to his name because he took it off the road shortly after he bought it because of an issue. He told me the issue and it makes sense. So.. I know if I use it as a parts car there is no issue not having the ownership but if down the road I do decide to bring it back to life.. How or could I register it here in Ontario?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Make a call to the MTO. That's what I did. Letter from owner, photo of car and vin. Get a dealer to "verify" the vin is what the car actually is and take it all to the MTO office.

I did the same thing but only need the ownership in my name due to the fact I sold the birdcage to a guy in Michigan.

That was all a couple years ago, may be different now.

Dodosmike
Old 06-21-2014, 07:43 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner only has to go to the MTO with the Vin and apply for a replacement ownership. on the other hand when I put the 73 Z28 in my name all I needed was the vehicle package and an appraisal

Last edited by stpman; 06-21-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. He is going to the Ministry on Monday to try to take care of it. The problem may be that he never put it in his name 30 years ago. Hoping for the best..
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The registered owner may apply for a replacement ownership, this is true. However it sounds like the registered owner is the guy who sold the car over 30 years ago.
Ontario Legislation requires that a vehicle sold must be transfered into the new owners name within 6 days of the date of sale, as either a fit or unfit vehicle. This is the purchesers resposability. If the purchaser does not comply he/she may be charged with the violation. This protects the seller from any number of future problems.
Driver and Vehicle offices can not lay charges under the HTA, only MTO officers or Police.
The CURRENT owner may be able to transfer the vehilce if he has a valid bill of sale and a notarized letter from the previous registered owner regarding the lost ownership papers.
I have been retired from the Ministry of Transportaions Enforcement Unit since 2003, so policies in resolving these matters may have changed. Call a ministry Enforcement office or a Driver and Vehicles office before you get in to deep, they should be able to advise.

Last edited by macs65; 06-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Well, I got an email from the seller. He went to the MTO today and came out with the ownership in his name. Not sure how he did it but I guess I'll find out on Friday. Perhaps I missunderstood the entire story about the history of the car.. Anyway.. I think I'm getting a heck of a deal.. And delivered to my home to boot. Maybe a diamond in the rough.. Maybe just parts when all is said and done.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Excellent, hope it works out in the end and you get that baby on the road.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

MMmmmmmm I smell a project...............

Keep us posted.

dodosmike
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
MMmmmmmm I smell a project...............

Keep us posted.

dodosmike

Hopefully the smell isn't as bad as my '79 project, which I will put on hold until I get a good look at this one. After I removed the rear wheelwell panels on my '79, I got a really good look at exactly what the rust worm has done to the Birdcage. Way too much work then I'm willing to do on it. The frame is repaired and complete with mostly new parts but I'd be willing to bail on it if the steel parts of this one are as they appeared to me the other day. So, my '79 frame may be for sale soon.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Faaaaaaaaaak.

Seriously? Over the last couple of years I scrapped/parted out a 78 with a bent up frame. I looked high and low for a roller frame!

The B'cage and body from the firewall back was like new. A wrecked 60,000km VERY clean car. Carpet was "done", but the interior was great otherwise.

May have seen these before:

Now everything i have have left fits inside 6 rubbermaid totes, except for the doors, rear end and steering parts.

If your seriously thinking of selling the roller frame please let me know!

dodosmike

Last edited by Dodosmike; 06-24-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

good for you, best of luck with what ever you decide
Old 06-28-2014, 01:32 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

There's more of these turds er "project cars" out there than most people realize.

Many of the "nothing" C3's (74 thru 77's) and C4's are just basket cases in the works - wear and tear and time are doing their thing.

I was trying to talk Greg (gdh) into one : guy had spent over 20 grand on a 75 or 76 : brand new GM 383 crate motor, new Edelbrock w/p , intake, Holley 750, new 18" wheels and tires, rebuilt beefed up Turbo 350 and on and on.
Wasn't 1,000 miles on the motor , guy would sell the complete running car for 9 g's
I even knew of a great running low mileage 78 Vette motor for $500 .
Someone could have done the motor swap flipped the car and ended up with a complete top to bottom crate 383 for 1/2 price or less.

A lot of good deals turn out to be big regrets once you get into them.

I have never lost money on a car, but in retrospect some of them weren't worth the bother !
Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 AM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Hummm. So I spoke to the seller/owner last night (the Father this time) and he tells me that he got a signed affidavit attesting to his ownership of the car; he did not get a new ownership from the MTO. He says he was told we can take the affidavit to the MTO and put the car directly in my name and bypass him totally. I believe he got the used car package but he put the agreed sale price on it. Now, I seem to recall I had to get an appraisal when I put the '79 in my name.. Even if this is a "Parts Car" I'm wondering if I have to do that this time too. Time to make a couple more calls.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
Hummm. So I spoke to the seller/owner last night (the Father this time) and he tells me that he got a signed affidavit attesting to his ownership of the car; he did not get a new ownership from the MTO. He says he was told we can take the affidavit to the MTO and put the car directly in my name and bypass him totally. I believe he got the used car package but he put the agreed sale price on it. Now, I seem to recall I had to get an appraisal when I put the '79 in my name.. Even if this is a "Parts Car" I'm wondering if I have to do that this time too. Time to make a couple more calls.
The age of the car you need an appraisal to put it in your name, I went through this with my 73 RS/Z28. they told me it didn't matter what I paid they wanted an appraisal
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM
macs65
Burning Brakes

The appraisal is for taxes, you would normally pay on the highest amount either sale or book value. Due to the age of the vehicle the book value would be very little, so taxes would be based on the higher of sale or appraised value.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by macs65
The appraisal is for taxes, you would normally pay on the highest amount either sale or book value. Due to the age of the vehicle the book value would be very little, so taxes would be based on the higher of sale or appraised value.

Yes, thanks I understand the way they grab tax money these days. I've rebuilt a few MGB's and the grab is stupid, but... The issue will be with his affidavit he signed for ownership, how will the transfer take place. On hold for half hour yesterday with MOT and had to hang up.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by macs65
Due to the age of the vehicle its not in the book!

Get notified of new replies

To May purchase a C3 "Parts Car" .. ownership issue.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You buying this for "parts" car or to put on road ??
I wouldn't worry about all the BS if just for parts.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QIK59
You buying this for "parts" car or to put on road ??
I wouldn't worry about all the BS if just for parts.

Haven't decided yet. Just had it delivered to my driveway tonight. I'll need to give it a good go over and make a decision.

Will a '79 front clip fit on a '73 car?
Old 07-04-2014, 05:33 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Haven't decided yet. Just had it delivered to my driveway tonight. I'll need to give it a good go over and make a decision.

Will a '79 front clip fit on a '73 car?
you can probably make it fit but there's a lot of differences

Quick Reply: May purchase a C3 "Parts Car" .. ownership issue.