Canadian Events Canada, eh?

C7 Price Increase for Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 Price Increase for Canada

Figured I should put it in its own thread..

We just got notification of the Canadian price increase... This is 5% larger than the US price increase, which bodes well for the future given that CDN has dropped 10% since pricing was released initially. If GM Canada was inclined to get that back, this would have been the time, I suspect...

+$2100 on base coupe and convertible
+$3360 on Z51 coupe and convertible.

Freight, options and packages had no price changes.

Price protected for any 2014 model year orders that are in the system as of end of business today... If you do not get a 2014 built, you will not be price protected on 2015 models.

Last edited by TOVetteFan; 03-21-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the sad part is GM doesn't care about Canadians wanting the C7.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I think this was all part of GM's plan, new model, get people excited then slam them with a hefty price increase.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
squalo3
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan

We just got notification of the Canadian price increase... This is 5% larger than the US price increase, which bodes well for the future given that CDN has dropped 10% since pricing was released initially. If GM Canada was inclined to get that back, this would have been the time, I suspect...

Price protected for any 2014 model year orders that are in the system as of end of business today... If you do not get a 2014 built, you will not be price protected on 2015 models.
I guess the inevidable had to come; on the bright side it's still $6,000 cheaper than a C6. (starting price for base).

On the positive side of this whole ordeal, is the fact that you can't beat the price for a TOTALLY re-created American sportscar icon.

FYI

GM Canada wasted no time updating their website with the increase.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...vette/overview

Last edited by squalo3; 03-21-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Does this price increase even make a difference, considering the fact that there are no allocations left for Canada for this year anyhow? (or is that rumor untrue, can a Canadian actually find a dealer that can order him a 2014 today?)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by Patman
Does this price increase even make a difference, considering the fact that there are no allocations left for Canada for this year anyhow? (or is that rumor untrue, can a Canadian actually find a dealer that can order him a 2014 today?)
The answer is pay now, you'll find out in August when the release of the 2015 is and you MIGHT get on the list to wait several months to likely be told again all allocations are for the USA ONLY.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:52 AM
squalo3
Racer

I'm pretty sure it's a rumor, usually the people who spread these rumors are the ones who can't afford and/or have no intention of buying the vehicle, so they figure no one else should have one, either.
I don't see anyone posting any truth to it on this forum and there are dealer members on here that could verify the truth.

This same ordeal occurred when the Camaro came back in 2009, the issue with allocations, dealers overpricing, like they think it was going to be a "one off".
If it wasn't for the overwhelming success of the Camaro, who knows where GM would be today; that car brought them out of the economic turmoil. I'm not saying this because I own one, it's the truth and had the Corvette been better priced in Canada it would have had success during that time, too.

I'm glad GM came to their senses and priced it right...LONG LIVE THE ICONIC SPORTSCAR!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

I posted something similar with reference to the thread about the US price increase. Someone requested that I comment further regarding allotment, so see below.

It only matters if you haven't already ordered a car, ie you are planning on buying out of dealer stock. As there is almost no dealer stock available in Canada, that is barely relevant. In regards to ordering, if you haven't already ordered a car in Canada, I think you are out of luck on Z51 for sure.

Dealers received their final allotment numbers for the 2014 model year this week, splitting it between Z51 and non-Z51 for the first time. My dealer, as an example, got 2 Z51 allotments and 3 non Z51 allotments for the balance of the model year. As we have significantly more than 2 Z51 orders already, we are looking at 2015 for any new orders, so price increases on 2014's are only relevant in that the floor is raised on what the 2015 cars might cost. We only have 1 non -Z51 car on order, so we can actually still order two of them for 2014 model year delivery. Those cars will be affected by the $2000 price increase, but they will still be cheaper than a 2015, and you will have them this summer.

I presume this is not unusual across the country, I was talking to someone in Calgary yesterday who had spoken to Jack Carter's and heard something similar..
Old 03-22-2014, 09:42 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -=ICE=-
the sad part is GM doesn't care about Canadians wanting the C7.
That is not accurate. The accurate, really sad part is that GM Canada DIDN'T care about Canadians wanting the C6. They priced the car so outrageously relevant to US pricing that it convinced many Canadians to buy American cars from brokers, etc. That is now coming home to roost, as GM Canada lost significant allotment due to lack of sales on 2011-2013 model year cars, and now haven't got a leg to stand on with GM US in terms of getting extra cars.

It is not that they don't care about Canadians wanting C7's, it is that our distribution network has failed us, and it will take time to recover that share. Unfortunately, there is little reason for them to bother fixing the problem, as long as they are selling as many in the US as they are giving them. As soon as US dealers stop ordering every piece of allotment available to them, then extra cars, above the number we have EARNED by our previous sales, will be made available to Canada.

I actually think this is starting, but only on non Z51 cars, as US dealers have a number of those on ground due to Z51 slowdowns earlier.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:23 PM
squalo3
Racer

Thank you for taking the time to clear up this issue, as we now have a better understanding where we (Canada) stand.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I can confirm my dealer will have two base 2014 inbound for the summer, even if he sold his 4 allocations. If you want to build to your personal taste get in line for a 2015 and if any will do some are on the web for sale, mostly base, and the odds are you will have to make certain concessions with regards to the build. If you are looking for a new 2014 Z51 for the summer you are mostly looking for a miracle...
Old 03-22-2014, 04:26 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

That is not accurate. The accurate, really sad part is that GM Canada DIDN'T care about Canadians wanting the C6. They priced the car so outrageously relevant to US pricing that it convinced many Canadians to buy American cars from brokers, etc. That is now coming home to roost, as GM Canada lost significant allotment due to lack of sales on 2011-2013 model year cars, and now haven't got a leg to stand on with GM US in terms of getting extra cars.

It is not that they don't care about Canadians wanting C7's, it is that our distribution network has failed us, and it will take time to recover that share. Unfortunately, there is little reason for them to bother fixing the problem, as long as they are selling as many in the US as they are giving them. As soon as US dealers stop ordering every piece of allotment available to them, then extra cars, above the number we have EARNED by our previous sales, will be made available to Canada.

I actually think this is starting, but only on non Z51 cars, as US dealers have a number of those on ground due to Z51 slowdowns earlier.

First decent answer i've heard in the Dec-Feb when I was trying to purchase one.

I do know that in some states they sell more than all of Canada together and I'm sure that gives them the pull they need to take what is coming available.

HOWEVER .... I still feel GM USA or Canada or as whole should not shun Canada for low sales, product sells or doesn't, it's not personal which feels this has become between GM USA & GM CDN. if not, it wouldn't matter if there was low sales during those years, rather they would be happy to see the new sales blow alway previous sold. but with this current NO you can't have any market in CDN this obviously won't come about so how could you prove 2014 and onward would have been improved? With the 'we could have sold' stats?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:12 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

First decent answer i've heard in the Dec-Feb when I was trying to purchase one.

I do know that in some states they sell more than all of Canada together and I'm sure that gives them the pull they need to take what is coming available.

HOWEVER .... I still feel GM USA or Canada or as whole should not shun Canada for low sales, product sells or doesn't, it's not personal which feels this has become between GM USA & GM CDN. if not, it wouldn't matter if there was low sales during those years, rather they would be happy to see the new sales blow alway previous sold. but with this current NO you can't have any market in CDN this obviously won't come about so how could you prove 2014 and onward would have been improved? With the 'we could have sold' stats?
The reality is that the Canadian market, at its highest, was about 3% of total Corvette sales. This is when there really weren't any restrictions on allotment, and pricing was reasonable. As such, the variance in sales between then (call it 1000 cars) and now(call it 400 cars), just isn't enough to matter to anyone on a corporate level, either here or there. As US dealers stop snapping up all of their available allotment, extra cars, Non Z51s for now, will come to Canada, and our share will grow as we order and sell those cars. It is not personal in any way between Canada and the US, it is simply that the number of cars we are talking about is so small in the corporate scheme of things that no one in Canada is prepared to go to war over it, and no one in the US even notices.. Imagine if you will, GM Canada goes to GM US and demands 600 more Corvettes... GM US turns around and says, OK, how about we triple your allotment on Corvettes, and cut your share of pickups by 10%, or, say, 10000 trucks... What would you say/do if you were GM Canada?

In the mid 90's, the C4 car was a dog with fleas, but a few dealers, Wilson Niblett especially locally, stepped up and ordered and sold aggressively. This allowed GM Canada to maintain, even grow their share of allotment in advance of the C5 being released. We still had waiting lists of a year or more at most dealers, but in that pre-internet world, it wasn't as big a deal.

No one did that this time, it is a different time, financially, for GM dealers in general, and the cars are a lot more expensive, as is the carrying cost for them. No sales=no share=no allotment=no sales..
Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Tell me, what would you say to Kerbeck's, who inventoried hundreds of Corvettes, all the time during the C6 era, if you now take 50 of the cars that they have earned from that time, which they can now sell for decent profits, to give to Canada, because I know what I would say if I was Kerbeck's.... Same thing we used to say at WN when we wanted extra allotment to fill orders in the C5/C6 startup eras, and cars went to dealers that hadn't sold a Vette in 3 years...

I would love to just point to all the Corvette owners, here and elsewhere in Canada, that run around telling everyone they should never buy a new car from a dealer here, go down to the US and buy from a broker, etc... and blame them for causing the problem, but I can't because they were not wrong in terms of the savings. They just didn't recognize, or maybe care, about the longer term implications of their actions, and in that they are not alone in this world.

They should not, however, be the ones now complaining about current availability problems in Canada, at least not when I am in the room... ;-)

Last edited by TOVetteFan; 03-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:26 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

All that said, I can still custom order 2 non Z51 cars for 2014 builds, according to GM...;-)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Imagine if you will, GM Canada goes to GM US and demands 600 more Corvettes...
We know as Canadians the most that would happen would be a friendly email of saying " please give us more Corvettes... " Response (in short) NO... reply to that "ok, thank you!"

GM US turns around and says, OK, how about we triple your allotment on Corvettes, and cut your share of pickups by 10%, or, say, 10000 trucks... What would you say/do if you were GM Canada?
Of course this would result in a bad thing.

I do get our climate doesn't allow such a huge number for GM to fall off their chair on a purchase order, but should still be on their radar to not offend buyers as in the "your not important enough"

In my industry I had a supplier being demanding and want to control my company telling me I can only sell their product and not another line if I wanted to sell theirs, I said in response, "please don't let the door hit you on the out, and while you are at it please lose my email and phone number" ... But I am a principle Man, maybe that judgement can get in the way, and I guess it kinda rings in along the lines of this topic.

I really respect you as a dealer stepping up to take on a conversation like this, thank you ! And wish you all the allotment you can sell soon !
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

We know as Canadians the most that would happen would be a friendly email of saying " please give us more Corvettes... " Response (in short) NO... reply to that "ok, thank you!"

Of course this would result in a bad thing.

I do get our climate doesn't allow such a huge number for GM to fall off their chair on a purchase order, but should still be on their radar to not offend buyers as in the "your not important enough"

In my industry I had a supplier being demanding and want to control my company telling me I can only sell their product and not another line if I wanted to sell theirs, I said in response, "please don't let the door hit you on the out, and while you are at it please lose my email and phone number" ... But I am a principle Man, maybe that judgement can get in the way, and I guess it kinda rings in along the lines of this topic.

I really respect you as a dealer stepping up to take on a conversation like this, thank you ! And wish you all the allotment you can sell soon !
As I said, it is not a case of anyone saying GM Canada isn't important enough, it is simply that we proved to GM US that Corvette wasn't important enough to us, with our rate of sale over the last number of years. Now, all of a sudden, because the demand is there, dealers are trying to get cars that they didn't want previously, and GM US is basically saying that we need to wait until those dealers who bought cars through the last 5 years say that they have enough. Then we will get ours..

Imagine you keep offering your child the ability to drive your minivan to meet their friends at the mall every weekend, to let them prove that they can handle the responsibility, and tell them that doing so will let them earn the right to drive different cars in the future, and they keep saying no thanks, we don't want that thing... Then, you get your new Stingray, and every single day, your child is begging you to let them take it to the mall... What would you say? Is it because they aren't important enough, or because they haven't earned the privilege yet?

GM Canada, their dealers, and their customers have basically spent much of the last 3 years saying they didn't want the C6, but now all of a sudden, they are GM US's best friend. I blame GM Canada for this, mostly, due to their pricing policies, but it doesn't really matter who's fault it is at this point, it is just the reality of the situation.

Last edited by TOVetteFan; 03-24-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Price Increase for Canada

Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 AM
emc7
Intermediate

"If you do not get a 2014 built, you will not be price protected on 2015 models" Where did you get this piece of information from? Is this up to GM Canada to regulate or the dealer's discretion? If a customer who has down payment and a written agreement from future price hikes shouldn't the customer be reassured regardless of model year, given that it is GM's fault for not fulfilling orders.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 AM
emc7
Intermediate

I posted something similar with reference to the thread about the US price increase. Someone requested that I comment further regarding allotment, so see below.

It only matters if you haven't already ordered a car, ie you are planning on buying out of dealer stock. As there is almost no dealer stock available in Canada, that is barely relevant. In regards to ordering, if you haven't already ordered a car in Canada, I think you are out of luck on Z51 for sure.

Dealers received their final allotment numbers for the 2014 model year this week, splitting it between Z51 and non-Z51 for the first time. My dealer, as an example, got 2 Z51 allotments and 3 non Z51 allotments for the balance of the model year. As we have significantly more than 2 Z51 orders already, we are looking at 2015 for any new orders, so price increases on 2014's are only relevant in that the floor is raised on what the 2015 cars might cost. We only have 1 non -Z51 car on order, so we can actually still order two of them for 2014 model year delivery. Those cars will be affected by the $2000 price increase, but they will still be cheaper than a 2015, and you will have them this summer.

I presume this is not unusual across the country, I was talking to someone in Calgary yesterday who had spoken to Jack Carter's and heard something similar..
I don't understand why GM even assign these non z51 allotments to dealers when there is only one on order with the rest all wait listing for z51s. My dealer asked me if I wanted a non z51 and I don't, cannot figure out why are they even getting these allocations that has nothing to do with what customers signed up for and there goes my last shot at a 14.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by emc7
I don't understand why GM even assign these non z51 allotments to dealers when there is only one on order with the rest all wait listing for z51s. My dealer asked me if I wanted a non z51 and I don't, cannot figure out why are they even getting these allocations that has nothing to do with what customers signed up for and there goes my last shot at a 14.
I am going to answer both your posts in one, if that is OK...

Firstly, to the pricing question. You have a bill of sale specifying the price if you are to take delivery of the 2014 model. It is not valid if you are taking delivery of a 2015. GM, in my experience(20+ years) does not provide price protection on orders that are filled in subsequent model years, with very rare exceptions, or in the event of a large volume fleet order placed before new model year pricing is available, in which case they will provide a cap on possible price increase. Where the fault lies in you not getting a vehicle for 2014 is

a) not relevant in most cases, unless there was an error made during the ordering process by GM that caused you to not get your vehicle, and

b) debatable in any case. Those who moved quickly got cars, if you chose to wait before ordering, or ordered from a dealer with no allotment, that is not the fault of GM or GM Canada. I say that with no malice, and certainly not to place the blame on you, either, simply to point out that customers that recognized the likelihood of extremely limited availability moved very quickly, and they, for the most part, have or will have, their cars for 2014. If you waited to see it, or drive it, or hear it, or sit in it, no one can blame you, but if the result is that you can't get your car this year, it certainly cannot be anyone else's fault! ;-)

Z51 cars have exceeded demand expectations and as such, their availability is nil at this point. GM cannot build all Z51's, the suppliers cannot provide parts in that quantity, and so they have to maintain some non-Z51 production, or shut the line down. As such, non-Z51 allotment is now available, despite the fact that most sold orders are Z51 cars... I agree that it is frustrating, as a dealer with 13 sold Z51 orders and 1 non Z51, it is pretty tough to get allotment for 3 non and only 2 Z51 cars for the balance of the model year. But I understand the cause, and hope that I have been able to communicate to you.

Quick Reply: C7 Price Increase for Canada