Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Calling all those living in Alberta to Ontario :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 PM
scube
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did that drive this past Oct, picked my car up in Edmonton and drove back through Northern Ontario. It took me 3 days and was a fantastic drive. You will have to watch the weather but for me it was a no brainer, 3 days and 3500km getting to know the car.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
That must have been a hard decision to give up the G. Sorry to hear that you let it go. One of my favs after the Countach. But at least you're getting back into a vette.

Good luck.
It was tough, but as a businessman it has been a lot of judgement and not in a good way. you think people would understand hard work can equal cool toys and if you want to pick someone why not pick a successful company vs ones driving rusted van's and the owner a beat up car/truck too? I have never bought something to impress, but rather enjoy. Heck I drive a Hummer all winter, and most dislike those, won't stop me from loving that beast ... I can talk pages on how wrong I think the judgement can be, but that won't help my new car getting here any faster LOL

This deciding is getting harder. some companies won't get back to me at all, the two suggestions by you guys included. And the one that I did feel comfortable I found another website bashing them, vs the one I found them on saying great things.... now i don't know to trust them or not. they are called JJ movers in Brampton.

really it makes me more and more want to fly over, however just need this weather to break enough for 3-4 days

Dannyman - If i waited till July I'll be the one behind the wheel

Last edited by -=ICE=-; 03-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -=ICE=-
Dannyman - If i wanted till July I'll be the one behind the wheel

Just trying to help out.

You sound as if you need to take a break. Get on a plane and drive it home. Take your time and drive only on sunny days. Take 5 or 6 days and enjoy the ride! That's what I'd be doing.

Dannyman
Old 03-09-2014, 12:33 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by dannyman

Just trying to help out.

You sound as if you need to take a break. Get on a plane and drive it home. Take your time and drive only on sunny days. Take 5 or 6 days and enjoy the ride! That's what I'd be doing.

Dannyman
Just wish the weather would break. I think the car should be ok to drive in cold weather, just snow/ice has me concerned.

I'll admit, not sure what excites me more about the idea of flying and driving back, the trip and pleasure of getting to know my new to me car, or the well deserved break
Old 03-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Just wish the weather would break. I think the car should be ok to drive in cold weather, just snow/ice has me concerned.

I'll admit, not sure what excites me more about the idea of flying and driving back, the trip and pleasure of getting to know my new to me car, or the well deserved break
How about renting a u-haul or covered car trailer and doing a round trip? Get a friend to go with you. THat way, when the weather's ok, you can drive the vette and they drive the truck pulling the trailer and if the weather gets bad, just put the car on the trailer and continue on your way.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 03-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

ICE,
Congratulations on the ZR1 purchase. It looks fantastic!

I've sent you a PM about my shipping research that should have my car arrive tomorrow, Monday.
I investigated renting a truck and enclosed trailer to trailer myself. It was significantly more expensive than having a reputable company ship in their enclosed transport.
The big transport companies will coordinate pick-up and delivery of multiple cars for their run so it takes time. My shipping inquiry to delivery of the car will be 3 weeks. The company did share the approx. delivery time as 2-3 weeks.

There's another consideration against shipping your new ZR1, and that is possible damage to the lower carbon fibre panels. GM delivers these cars with lower panels uninstalled. They are installed at the dealer.

So, maybe the suggestion to drive south to nicer weather and east might work better than driving east through Canada.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Nice to see you back in a Vette, no offence, the G is a pretentious car, you'll fit back in here much better in the Z
Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

just thought another couple weeks, snow will be almost gone, may be little cold but who cares car heater take care of that, its a golden opportunity and to better understand your car too, and ofcourse a drive memorable for a while.

Just fly out and drive back....done. We hit winter hard here than those west guys....drive easy enjoy scenery couple stops for 4-6 hrs each and drive mostly in day time....i think you will enjoy this way rather than swiping CC for transportation and keep your fingers crossed.

congrats on that beautiful yet beast ZR1 and GL in getting here.

Last edited by sami85L98; 03-09-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 AM
scube
Pro

If you are going to drive the car back and not plate it you will have to stay in Canada with your trip permit.

I would recommend the northern route (hwy 11), it's longer but will take less time. I did it in 3 days but I would budget for 5 days in case you hit some weather. I hit some cold weather in Manitoba but just took it easy until the roads warmed up.

Very relaxing 3 days getting to know the car.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
How about renting a u-haul or covered car trailer and doing a round trip? Get a friend to go with you. THat way, when the weather's ok, you can drive the vette and they drive the truck pulling the trailer and if the weather gets bad, just put the car on the trailer and continue on your way.
I really did think of borrowing or renting a trailer and use my hummer to drive out and back. But being away from work that long, as well my son and pregger wife .. would miss them too much (yeah too mushy for a Corvette forum LOL )

Originally Posted by Vernon
ICE,
Congratulations on the ZR1 purchase. It looks fantastic!

I've sent you a PM about my shipping research that should have my car arrive tomorrow, Monday.
I investigated renting a truck and enclosed trailer to trailer myself. It was significantly more expensive than having a reputable company ship in their enclosed transport.
The big transport companies will coordinate pick-up and delivery of multiple cars for their run so it takes time. My shipping inquiry to delivery of the car will be 3 weeks. The company did share the approx. delivery time as 2-3 weeks.

There's another consideration against shipping your new ZR1, and that is possible damage to the lower carbon fibre panels. GM delivers these cars with lower panels uninstalled. They are installed at the dealer.

So, maybe the suggestion to drive south to nicer weather and east might work better than driving east through Canada.
Hey Vernon, Thanks for the info I'm going to touch base with your contact and see where it goes from there. What i'm thinking if it is going to take 3-5 weeks I will just wait it out and drive back is my thought.

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Nice to see you back in a Vette, no offence, the G is a pretentious car, you'll fit back in here much better in the Z
I honestly prefer the Vette even after having the G. yes it is exactly that and that isn't who I am at all.

Originally Posted by sami85L98
just thought another couple weeks, snow will be almost gone, may be little cold but who cares car heater take care of that, its a golden opportunity and to better understand your car too, and ofcourse a drive memorable for a while.

Just fly out and drive back....done. We hit winter hard here than those west guys....drive easy enjoy scenery couple stops for 4-6 hrs each and drive mostly in day time....i think you will enjoy this way rather than swiping CC for transportation and keep your fingers crossed.

congrats on that beautiful yet beast ZR1 and GL in getting here.
Thanks!! I really am leaning towards this, I have a home show coming up which will keep me busy for 10 days straight, then a week or two from there and fly out. Just need to figure out how to get front he airport to Grande Prairie which i'm told is a 3 hour drive. minor problem in the picture of things.

Originally Posted by scube
If you are going to drive the car back and not plate it you will have to stay in Canada with your trip permit.

I would recommend the northern route (hwy 11), it's longer but will take less time. I did it in 3 days but I would budget for 5 days in case you hit some weather. I hit some cold weather in Manitoba but just took it easy until the roads warmed up.

Very relaxing 3 days getting to know the car.
The car will be my name I have to look into the trip permit stuff since they don't have E-testing or need cars to be safetied in Alberta ... Thanks for the extra advice
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I honestly prefer the Vette even after having the G. yes it is exactly that and that isn't who I am at all.

You are now forgiven for owning that "thing" and actually posting about it on a Vette forum

Last edited by RAGGDOLL; 03-10-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
You are now forgiven for owning that "thing" and actually posting about it on a Vette forum
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks!! I really am leaning towards this, I have a home show coming up which will keep me busy for 10 days straight, then a week or two from there and fly out. Just need to figure out how to get front he airport to Grande Prairie which i'm told is a 3 hour drive. minor problem in the picture of things.

You can fly into Grande Prairie, check out WestJet. Edmonton to GP is a 5 hour drive.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I really did think of borrowing or renting a trailer and use my hummer to drive out and back.
I might be "Captain Obvious" but look into renting a trailer once your out there. It might save you a few bucks. Check out the "one way drop fees".

Also renting a truck to make the drive out. Some rental places wont allow a trailer to be towed. Some rental outlets trucks dont even have hitches on them. I know, I tried to rent a truck to haul some sled west one time. All ready to go, had the truck loaded with all my crap, went to a buddies place to grab the sled --NO HITCH! A-holes

dodosmike
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by KOZ

You can fly into Grande Prairie, check out WestJet. Edmonton to GP is a 5 hour drive.
Just did, thanks!! that gets me right there and for a decent deal too !
Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Lots of mud gravel gets dragged onto the highways in the spring. You could get some protection done on the car in Grande Prairie before you get here.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by Thorson
Lots of mud gravel gets dragged onto the highways in the spring. You could get some protection done on the car in Grande Prairie before you get here.
So looks like I am going to do the fly and bond with my car

Do you know anyone that can do a 3m that won't do a crap job or rip me off?

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all those living in Alberta to Ontario :)

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 AM
scube
Pro

I did mine up Nascar style to get it home and I will do the clear bra here.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

So looks like I am going to do the fly and bond with my car

Do you know anyone that can do a 3m that won't do a crap job or rip me off?
There's a few places in town that do it. The only one I've personally used is ShadeAll. http://www.shadeall.com/products.htm
They tinted the rear glass on my '65 and did a nice job. Probably a good idea to phone ahead and book an appointment when know your travel plans. Or maybe you can get it done before you get here.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm sure Doug Marshall can set you up with the full 3M treatment before delivery

Quick Reply: Calling all those living in Alberta to Ontario :)