Canadian Events Canada, eh?

O/T - Kitchen Exhaust Venting re Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default O/T - Kitchen Exhaust Venting re Code

I have not be able to find whether there is a specific code stating whether you need a specific cfm rating on natural gas range/stove tops....... to meet code. It's been stated that the rule of thumb is, you should match the cfm to the btu output that the range is set up for, for e.g. if you have six burners that total 90k btu you should match it with a 900 cfm exhaust fan. With that said, I've seen 600cfm hoods stating they're rated for 108k btu by having a larger cavity (10" high x 23" length X 30", 36" or 48" depending on which width you prefer) and 10" exhaust. I've also read that if your cfm's are around 900 cfm or higher then there should be make-up air in place.

Are all these "rule of thumb" or are there specific codes in place in the Toronto, Mississauga area?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 PM
QIK59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

There you go complicating the living $#!@ out of things again LOL

Most kitchen vent hood fans are around 200-300 cfm

10" duct - that's almost commercial size LOL.

Yeah if you have 900 cfm you sure are going to need make up air (if your house is sealed ?!)
What do you heat the house with ?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by QIK59
Not LOL
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Most kitchen vent hood fans are around 200-300 cfm

10" duct - that's almost commercial size LOL.

Yeah if you have 900 cfm you sure are going to need make up air (if your house is sealed ?!)
What do you heat the house with ?
There is really nothing complicated about it.

Yes most residential vent/exhaust fans are 300 cfm but that's not nearly enough to exhaust 90,000 btu's. The range being installed is not a standard 30" 4 burner range, but that has nothing to do with my question. Hence my original question. If this was a standard ng range I wouldn't have posted this question.

Yes 10" is large, commercial would be much large but 7"-10" is standard on an exhaust fan that needs to vent 100,000 btu capacity.

I heat the house with natural gas.

Since my question remains unanswered is there anyone with info I could use, or be helpful?

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 10-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM
QIK59
Drifting

Just buy the tomato sauce it's easier LOL
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr

Yes most residential vent/exhaust fans are 300 cfm but that's not nearly enough to exhaust 90,000 btu's. The range being installed is not a standard 30" 4 burner range, but that has nothing to do with my question. Hence my original question. If this was a standard ng range I wouldn't have posted this question.

Yes 10" is large, commercial would be much large but 7"-10" is standard on an exhaust fan that needs to vent 100,000 btu capacity.

Since my question remains unanswered is there anyone with info I could use, or be helpful?
Frank - I don't believe there are "codes" that apply in the residential area for such things. At the same time I would spring for the 900 CFM set up because the fans at this volume are higher quality and quieter.

If your house is super air tight (probably not unless you live in an R2000 or Energy Star house) the fan will work well because of the leakage. If your house is more air tight, just crack a window open while it's in operation and it will eliminate odours much better.

That's about it - it's not that compilcated...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Superbee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I am an expert but I can assure you if you are intending to exhaust 1000 cfm you will require a make up air system, this will be gas code related and comes from the fact that your stove and other gas fired appliances (furnace, hot water tank) will require air for combustion and releif air. You will risk sucking products of combustion from these appliances and possibly raw natural gas with potential for carbon monoxide. More and more homeowners are getting caught on this and in some cases serious problems arise.
You can not be to careful, it's your family. Only correct path is to consult both an engineer and gas fitter.

Be safe
Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Frank - I don't believe there are "codes" that apply in the residential area for such things. At the same time I would spring for the 900 CFM set up because the fans at this volume are higher quality and quieter.
Thanks for chiming in Jack;

It's code that I'm only concerned with since the 600cfm kitchenaid professional series range hood does a better job of exhaust by having a 10" duct vent size, larger vent cavity as well it's rated for 108k btu's at 5.3 sones at a price of around $1250. The 900 cfm range hood has a 7" duct vent size, smaller range cavity and only rated for 90k btu, at 7.5 sones at a price of around $1150.00. I'd rather have a quieter motor not have make up air, albiet larger hood size.
Originally Posted by Superbee
Not that I am an expert but I can assure you if you are intending to exhaust 1000 cfm you will require a make up air system, this will be gas code related and comes from the fact that your stove and other gas fired appliances (furnace, hot water tank) will require air for combustion and releif air. You will risk sucking products of combustion from these appliances and possibly raw natural gas with potential for carbon monoxide. More and more homeowners are getting caught on this and in some cases serious problems arise.
You can not be to careful, it's your family. Only correct path is to consult both an engineer and gas fitter.

Be safe
Thanks superbee, but I don't intend on having a 1000 cfm motor, hence the reason for this thread. I'm trying to get a quieter motor, and forgo the make up air.

It's not in the field of the gas fitter and I don't need an engineer, it's more a HVAC question.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM
QIK59
Drifting

Originally Posted by Superbee

Be safe
That is what I was trying to allude to when I asked if he heats with natural gas.

Seems the OP has it all "covered" - he can find out on his own LOL !
Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Seems the OP has it all "covered" - he can find out on his own LOL !
Why am I not surprised you would say something like that!.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
QIK59
Drifting

Why am I not surprised you would say something like that!.
Because that's how people learn.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Because that's how people learn.
My surprise to your reply has nothing to do with me, or anyone learning for that matter, it has to do with your reply, you totally misunderstood my point........... to you.

This is adding absolutely no value to this thread so why bother replying?

It’s been said many times before by other members that no longer frequent this forum, therefore I also have to ask myself, why I keep coming back to the Canadian Secton!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

My surprise to your reply has nothing to do with me, or anyone learning for that matter, it has to do with your reply, you totally misunderstood my point........... to you.

This is adding absolutely no value to this thread so why bother replying?

It’s been said many times before by other members that no longer frequent this forum, therefore I also have to ask myself, why I keep coming back to the Canadian Secton!
You keep coming back because of guys like me and Les

Seriously Frank, SLO59 hasn't made a ton of friends here, just add him to your ignore list
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
You keep coming back because of guys like me and Les

Seriously Frank, SLO59 hasn't made a ton of friends here, just add him to your ignore list
As long as Mike and myself love you, don't worry about that stugats.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

There appears to be something wrong with the numbers you are posting. Either the CFM or BTU ratings of one of those 2 hoods is wrong or the CFM is not directly related to the BTU. At any rate, that data makes the BTU ventilation capabilities of at least one of those hoods questionable.

Does the range manufacturer specify anything? If the instructions say to use X CFM of range hood ventilation then you basically have to use at least that much ventilation. Basically, what the manufacturer specifies would be considered an extension to the building code.

As for the air make-up. You have to figure out what you need for your house. If the house is older and not well sealed, then closing the furnace room door and giving the furnace room an external air opening so that room never goes under a vacuum could be acceptable. If your furnace is a high efficiency with the external air intake then it might be fine to put a vacuum on the house. You may need an intake fan that moves the same CFM as the range hood.

Here's the building code. I doubt you'll find much useful.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_060350_e.htm
Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM
MSTRBLUE
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out 9.32.3.10. Ducts via the link to the Ontario building code. Commercial range hoods are covered in Part 6 but I think your are talking about residential hoods and that is what 9.23.3.10 covers. Other than that the OBC will generally allow for manufactures specs to govern things not specifically covers. I'll check with one of our HVAC examiners tomorrow and get back to you.

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To O/T - Kitchen Exhaust Venting re Code

Quick Reply: O/T - Kitchen Exhaust Venting re Code