Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Purchasing car in the US

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Purchasing car in the US

Would a trip permit from the state where you purchased the vehicle allow you to drive across the border into Canada (after all paperwork of course)? Do you need Canadian insurance on the car or does the trip permit cover that?

When I purchased my last Vette from the US my insurance company would not insure it until I had a Canadian ownership in hand.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Used to be they (customs) didn't really care what plates where on the car when you crossed the border, all they were concerned with was paper work.

I have taken my own plates with me and put them on to drive home (border people said that wasn't legal but also said nothing to do with them / they didn't really care !)

To answer your question : can't see why a trip permit wouldn't allow you to drive it across into Canada - how else could you do it ?

The trip permit doesn't do $#!T as far as insuring you.
Possibly enables your existing car insurance to cover you (as a newly acquired vehicle) because it proves that the car is in your name (but I sure wouldn't want to "test" it ?!).
Just drive real careful !! LOL

Last edited by QIK59; 04-17-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
ralexcur
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has worked for me in the past. If you call your insurance Co and they give you an insurance slip I think you set. Good luck, but let your insurance know what is going on.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 AM
hihocarp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove mine across with just a permit and my own insurance. Border never said a thing about the permit.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Border does not care. i have used a trip permit many times. But you need to check to see if you have insurance coverage. Some insurers will not afford coverage until you have a canadian ownership. Trip permit from issuing state does not give insurance coverage, in fact some states will not issue a trip permit until you produce proof of coverage.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Used trip permit and had the car insured by my insurance company. You need to have valid insurance to drive it at least in Ontario. Do you really want to take a chance on someting happening? The trip permit cost $30 bucks but the US dealer I bought it from supplied it no charge.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DIPPOLD
Used trip permit and had the car insured by my insurance company. You need to have valid insurance to drive it at least in Ontario. Do you really want to take a chance on someting happening? The trip permit cost $30 bucks but the US dealer I bought it from supplied it no charge.

When I brought cars back it was before everyone was so chicken $#!T paranoid about everything with all the legalities etc.

Didn't know what I was going to be bringing back as far as arranging insurance : VIN's etc etc

Don't think insurance was law then ?

Sometimes you had to take chances (if you had the *****)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Brought a car back a few yrs ago, just used the temp cardboard plate the dealer arranged and put on. Once home I would get all certifications done, dtrl s etc then get your permant plates without driving around too much. Friends of mine on OPP said that they are not legal to use up here but he's never bothered to pull anyone over for them unless he's seen them on the vehicle for an extended period.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

before i picked up my 80, in Ohio, 2007

i took the original title into a Provincial Transportation Office & paid $10 for a 10 day temp plate, that i put on the dashboard.

called my insurance company before i went south to be sure to have insurance on her.

Pete.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing car in the US

Quick Reply: Purchasing car in the US