Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

AWESOME car and color!!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM
HIGH MPH
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my brother-in-law's Pantera. Project is coming along great, we're very excited to see the end result. We know Champions gonna do an amazing job.
If only the trans was a bit tougher, and less expensive to repair, we'd be putting a big single turbo in it, or maybe twins, we could keep the boost down, hmmmm.....
That might just be the next project
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pantera updates

We started some grinding in order to fit front bumpers only to find some patch work just spot welded and filled with bondo. The lower half of the front end is fibreglass and was barely riveted to the metal and again just filled with bondo. Structural adhesive was used in order to correctly mesh the two materials.
Attached Images     
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM
0VJ@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this car in person, really nice. Keep the pics coming.

Should drop one of Robs TTV8s in there...something like this one

/vj

Last edited by VJ@ChampionMotors; 03-04-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete@ChampionMotors
We just got in a 1972 Detomaso Pantera for surgery. This car will be getting new floor pans, an underbody restoration and of course a Champion Motors custom Body and Paint Job. Our customer would like to use House Of Colours Wild Cherry Candi for colour and we will be using our Sherwin Williams Super Glamour Clearcoat as a topcoat.
AS a Pantera owner since 85, I agree, Floor pans are a must, 90% will have rust, 10% will not. Mine does not. If the floor pans are rusted out then expect to find rust all over. The most important is the frame rails where the front and rear suspention attaches to. If not modded they will rip out of the frame on the early cars. I did the the mods and did
way more sway bars.The pantera was like a go kart.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mechron
AS a Pantera owner since 85, I agree, Floor pans are a must, 90% will have rust, 10% will not. Mine does not. If the floor pans are rusted out then expect to find rust all over. The most important is the frame rails where the front and rear suspention attaches to. If not modded they will rip out of the frame on the early cars. I did the the mods and did
way more sway bars.The pantera was like a go kart.
Frame seems to be a good shape, the car is heavily undercoated and we just ordered all the extra bracing for in the engine bay and underbody. We will be removing all undercoating from the undercarriage.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 AM
mechron
Drifting

Frame seems to be a good shape, the car is heavily undercoated and we just ordered all the extra bracing for in the engine bay and underbody. We will be removing all undercoating from the undercarriage.
Hey Pete, that looks like an L model (I can tell from the front pics, the pre L had different bumpers mounts than the L model)

That is a Hall pantera air dam on the front also, I know, I have one on my car too...

Check out Hall Pantera. Also check out the web sight "the pantera place" it is a great source of info and mods...

Real big is where the current pantera owners hang out with the latest mods. Go to pantera place and find the web ring.

By the way, my car was stock when I bought it, that car in your pics is set up in GTS5 trim.

Driving my bone stock pantera at over 100 MPH scared the crap out of me (it is meant to be driven way fast, so go figure) the air would get under the front end and already light front end would just float.

So i bought the Hall air dam to solve that, plus it funnels the air through the rad for cooling. I see on that car you have vents in the hood. Another Hall mod.

As for the delta wing, the pantera acts like a wing at speed just like a lambo. The Delta wing forces the rear down. At 120 MPH it it was scary light

Last edited by mechron; 03-07-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Hey Pete, that looks like an L model (I can tell from the front pics, the pre L had different bumpers mounts than the L model)

That is a Hall pantera air dam on the front also, I know, I have one on my car too...

Check out Hall Pantera. Also check out the web sight "the pantera place" it is a great source of info and mods...

Real big is where the current pantera owners hang out with the latest mods. Go to pantera place and find the web ring.

By the way, my car was stock when I bought it, that car in your pics is set up in GTS5 trim.

Driving my bone stock pantera at over 100 MPH scared the crap out of me (it is meant to be driven way fast, so go figure) the air would get under the front end and already light front end would just float.

So i bought the Hall air dam to solve that, plus it funnels the air through the rad for cooling. I see on that car you have vents in the hood. Another Hall mod.

As for the delta wing, the pantera acts like a wing at speed just like a lambo. The Delta wing forces the rear down. At 120 MPH it it was scary light
We have been getting most parts from Hall Pantera. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 AM
mechron
Drifting

Unfortunately you have to be about 5ft 2 and 100lbs soaking wet to fit in this car.!!!
Just chiming in late for fun. Sorry but not true, I'm 5ft 8" and 170 lbs. The deal is not how big you are but how tall you are, 6 foot and taller guys hit the roof with their head. Back in the 80s I took a customer for a ride, At 6'2" he had to lean his head to get in. He had a blast but his head was leaning sideways all the time and still hitting the roof.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by FireRoc
So not the original engine. As I recall the "stock" engine was a 351 Cleveland with a big dent in the drivers side exhaust.

The "dent" was required to clear the frame or suspension as I recall.
The 351C was the origonal engine. It got castrated in 73, Low compression heads, a retarded cam. I have the closed chamber 72 Boss heads on my car, Big block chevy rockers work just fine.

No Dent. Just small pipes that ran thoough the rear suspention.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Nathanknorr
Instructor

Unfortunately you have to be about 5ft 2 and 100lbs soaking wet to fit in this car.!!!
You just descibed me... can I drive it????
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathanknorr
You just descibed me... can I drive it????
When you in town we'll take you for a ride.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 AM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Default Pantera Updates

So after putting the grinder to these rocker panels , looks like we will be replacing them. After finding some pinholes we decided to pull out the plasma cutter and see exactly how much rust is behind these rockers. Luckily the inner rockers were in great shape.
Attached Images    
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Canam
Pro

Watch this seriously race prepared Pantera kick some serious *** at Spa.

oh yeah, turn the volume up.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Default Pantera Update

Well got all metal work, and body work all done. Whole car was primed with Sherwin Williams 2 part hi-build primer and ready for final block sanding.
Attached Images      
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

That car looks sick!

Get notified of new replies

To Champion motors project 72 pantera

Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 AM
mechron
Drifting

Well got all metal work, and body work all done. Whole car was primed with Sherwin Williams 2 part hi-build primer and ready for final block sanding.
I assume the hood vents came from Hall, they came with a template to cut those holes in the hood. The template did not even come close to matching the vent grills they sold me in the same box. Lucky for me I checked to see if the vents matched the template before cutting the hood. That would BLOW!!!

Apparenty there were two sizes of vents produced, small and large, I got the large ones with the small template, this was circa 2000. I would assume Hall only sells the larger vents now.
Who cares, The vents are placed for cooling.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

I assume the hood vents came from Hall, they came with a template to cut those holes in the hood. The template did not even come close to matching the vent grills they sold me in the same box. Lucky for me I checked to see if the vents matched the template before cutting the hood. That would BLOW!!!

Apparenty there were two sizes of vents produced, small and large, I got the large ones with the small template, this was circa 2000. I would assume Hall only sells the larger vents now.
Who cares, The vents are placed for cooling.
The vents were already pre-installed when we got the car and fit really well.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

looking forward to the finished pics...

Quick Reply: Champion motors project 72 pantera