Canadian Events Canada, eh?

New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know

Hello fellow Canadian forum members , I received this information from one of my vendors yesterday and think that it is very important that we all read it .

I have changed some of the wording to suit my own business platform .

This is not a solicitation for business you can go anywhere you choose . Most you who have had as little as headers installed in the past years will have to have these issues addressed before you do your etest .

Prepared on Feb 22, 2013 by Patrick Arlia, Certified EFI Calibrator.
Recently Ontario's Drive Clean Program introduced a new, standardized ODBII testing procedure.
In the past Drive Clean was simply a gas analyzer.? A probe would be inserted into your tailpipe that monitored emissions.? If it found emissions to be in range you?d pass, if not you?d fail.? As of recent Drive Clean is using your on-board ODBII diagnostic system (which is capable of monitoring emissions) to perform the test instead of an exhaust probe.? The main difference is that your ODBII emissions monitoring system allows for far less emissions before if reports a failure, so it?s harder to pass the new test.
What does this mean for my high performance Corvette /Camaro / CTSV and other newer performance modified car's ?
Simply put , you may not pass emissions tests anymore even if you had success in the past.
Why may I not pass emissions tests anymore?
The new test looks for ODBII readiness in several categories (catalytic converters, EGR, EVAP, etc). In 99% of vehicles programmed in the last 10 years, rear o2 sensors we're disabled.? If you've had your vehicle tuned by any tuner (on the dyno or just a a hand held programmer) chances are your rear o2 sensors have been disabled.
This means, you'll fail the new test because it requires that your rear o2 sensors are enabled (for readiness).
Why disable my rear o2 sensors?
In many applications high-flow catalytic converters are installed.? When high flow catalytic converters are installed, your onboard ODBII diagnostic system will report a catalyst inefficiency? and your check engine light will be illuminated. We disable rear o2 sensors to prevent this from occurring. Turning off the rear o2 sensors had no effect on your vehicles performance and no effect on emissions test results, so we had no reason not to do it (until now of course).
What if I'm not from Ontario?
If your province hasn't adopted emissions testing, or has yet to adopt the ODBII testing procedure for emissions, chances are they will in the near future and for this reason the same fate awaits you.
How do I know if I'll pass the new emissions test?
It basically boils down to how efficient your catalytic converters are.If you have high flow cats installed, you may have passed emissions tests with flying colours in the past, however you'll fail now (the new test is much more demanding of your catalytic converters).

You don't have to visit an accredited Drive Clean centre to discover that you'll fail.? You may setup an appointment with Dasilva Motorsports or any other shop of your choosing prior to setting up an emissions test at an accredited Drive Clean centre.? We may perform the same test here, so we?'l be able to tell you if your car will pass emissions before you waste your money and time failing an emissions test.
What if the pretest determines I won't pass the new emissions test?
Chances are you?ll pass the new emissions test however if you don't, it's not the end of the road , we've built 1000hp cars that have passed emissions tests legitimately.We know what needs to be done to produce an emissions compliant vehicle (regardless of its modifications) and will recommend the necessary components in order to make your vehicle emissions compliant.
You may require new, more efficient catalytic converters. We offer high-flow catalytic converters that yield less emissions than factory (restrictive) converters. These converters typically aren't standard with high-flow x-pipes or h-pipes that are available on the market however they may be swapped out with relative ease.
What if my exhaust system is stock?
If your exhaust system is stock, you'll likely pass the new test without issue. We may still have to reprogram your vehicle and re-enable the rear o2 sensors (assuming theyre disabled).
When should I contact Dasilva Motorsports or other performance shop with tuning capabilities that can related to my vehicle's emissions compliance.
Don't panic!
We recommend that you setup an appointment with us or any other professional shop 1 month prior to when your next emissions test is required. This will give ample time to establish your vehicles emissions compliance status and take the necessary steps to make it emissions compliant if needed.
I still have questions?
Not a problem, if you have further questions related to emissions testing and how it potentially affects your vehicle's emissions compliance we'd ask that you email us. We'll be more than happy to answer your questions at our earliest convenience.

manny@dasilvamotorsports.ca

Last edited by Dasilvamotorsports; 02-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Email sent...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the update Manny, I guess if one is buying a used C4 - C6 he has to include this as a pre-requisite to any purchase, that will be another roadblock to buying in the US, is there an OBD reader that is portable and can be used to perform a test on a car? ... so much for halting e-testing! ... Rob
Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
Thanks for the update Manny, I guess if one is buying a used C4 - C6 he has to include this as a pre-requisite to any purchase, that will be another roadblock to buying in the US, is there an OBD reader that is portable and can be used to perform a test on a car? ... so much for halting e-testing! ... Rob
Only the 1996 C4 was OBDII.

Not sure how the e-testing will be done on the OBDI's, as that system did not have near the same capabilities for monitoring emissions that OBDII has,
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FireRoc
Only the 1996 C4 was OBDII.

Not sure how the e-testing will be done on the OBDI's, as that system did not have near the same capabilities for monitoring emissions that OBDII has,
I'm not too sure on that one either , haven't got that far yet .

It's pretty sad when what comes out the tail pipe is fine and they still want to screw you around. It is nothing more than a money grab. Get vocal and e-mail or call your MP and MPP. Pester them all. Phoning is better because someone has to answer the phone and you can actually tie them up for a while answering questions. Have lots of questions ready. Bury them in phone calls and they might just get the message. If they are actually taking in $30 million a year, then they are not going to be too quick to give up that income unless they see votes disappearing.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

You could always move north to avoid it.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_078453.pdf
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info not a JAUT...lol. Man i need to renew emission inspector/repair although not doing etest anymore at my current place. This what makes a good tuner providing useful info on stuff like this great going manny.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
vt65
Safety Car

You could always move north to avoid it.
I have been thinking about moving up to the Sundridge Area or Mattawan, Hwy 11 would be a blast at 150 mph as long as the mooses stayed away

Last edited by vt65; 02-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Good info here. I'm just wondering if anyone would consider going back to a stock setup to avoid not getting their plates renewed?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:32 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AGVI
Good info here. I'm just wondering if anyone would consider going back to a stock setup to avoid not getting their plates renewed?
That's a good point Les.

We are however able to build performance cars today and still pass emissions and get insured .

So you can still have your cake and eat it too
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
vt65
Safety Car

So you can still have your cake and eat it too
Manny in my day we used to say: your Kate and Edith too
Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasilvamotorsports
I'm not too sure on that one either , haven't got that far yet .

It's pretty sad when what comes out the tail pipe is fine and they still want to screw you around. It is nothing more than a money grab. Get vocal and e-mail or call your MP and MPP. Pester them all. Phoning is better because someone has to answer the phone and you can actually tie them up for a while answering questions. Have lots of questions ready. Bury them in phone calls and they might just get the message. If they are actually taking in $30 million a year, then they are not going to be too quick to give up that income unless they see votes disappearing.
OBD1 cars are still required to pass and need to do a two-speed idle test with a sniffer in the tailpipe. Limitations have been raised for OBD 1 cars. We have been successful in making OBD 1 and 2 cars pass with the new laws.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pete@ChampionMotors
OBD1 cars are still required to pass and need to do a two-speed idle test with a sniffer in the tailpipe. Limitations have been raised for OBD 1 cars. We have been successful in making OBD 1 and 2 cars pass with the new laws.
Thanks Pete
Old 02-23-2013, 02:40 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Pete
No problem Manny. Came to see you at the auto show on Monday(Family day) but nobody was at your booth. Nice booth!!! Nice Caddy!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pete@ChampionMotors
No problem Manny. Came to see you at the auto show on Monday(Family day) but nobody was at your booth. Nice booth!!! Nice Caddy!!!
Sorry I missed you Pete . We had been at the show all for 4 straight days , and were a little tired so we headed for home @4pm .

Thanks for coming by and checking out the booth
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

might be a dumb question, but, if your car is stock and the "check engine light" is not on, does that mean your car will pass?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
might be a dumb question, but, if your car is stock and the "check engine light" is not on, does that mean your car will pass?
Actually no , there are many cars without CEL's on , that are failing .

The CEL is only the visual part . The run cycles in all the sensors will be checked and you could still fail .

Last edited by Dasilvamotorsports; 02-23-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

LOL @ the ministry I think these tests are so stupid. 1 Airplane lets out enough emissions as a million cars over several months. Until I see cats on airplanes Im never using them again

I dont see how a single cam motor that will spin 8500 rpm will have any chance at passing anyways.. especially since the whole oem computer has been removed

Time to budget for the tickets every year
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Actually no , there are many cars without CEL's on are failing .

The CEL is only the visual part . The run cycles in all the sensors will be checked and you could still fail .
I cannot express my feelings in words (for the fear of being banned )
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

The tests are getting ridiculous. My Son's 2000 Jetta Turbo failed his E-test this week. His check engine light was on, he re-set it before the test and it didn't come on for the two days prior. During the E-test it failed and the code showed "Low Voltage." He cleaned up the grounds under the battery tray, redid the test and it passed..

Quick Reply: New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know