Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Oil back to 2010 levels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Oil back to 2010 levels.

Just did a quick reference check so given the current price per barrel the price per liter should be $.35 to $.40 less per liter. Oil stockpiles are at 22 yr highs yet our price per liter has not really reflected any of this.

Last edited by gdh; 06-20-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

and your point????? pay at the pump or park the Vette they got us buy the 's................
Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had an idea for a while. While we all need gas and a one day boycot of any gas station is a joke. How about we organized a movement that boycotted let's say Shell for a month. Then Esso for a month etc. Can you imagine the chaos it would cause with staffing and food spoiling. I bet they would adjust their pricing!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you seen the price for casual labour in Calgary or Edmonton?$30 per hour for someone to ride a fancy lawnmower around one of those huge Springbank acreages,the rest of Canada has no choice but to pay for it!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

they know we have no choice
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 AM
McFence
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price of oil is only 1 commodity that is traded and thus speculators can affect it's price - but gas itself is another commodity that is traded seperate and speculators are still affecting that price.

I used to think it was all about the price of oil and how every year we would go from .70 to a high of 1.00, then next quarter it would go from .95 to 1.10 and so on until they have us trained now that 1.20 is cheap and 1.5 is the feared new ceiling - and while the price of gas does indeed test new highs and never drop down to old lows it's not on the oil companies for that - it's the commodities market.

I'm sure it's 100 times more complicated then that - but the main point is it's not just about Sheik Abdullah deciding papa needs a new yacht so lets run the price up a few pennies - the same markets many of us build our RRSP's etc with affect the price of gas more significantly.

Dave
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Approx $.90 per litre in Ohio right now
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

$2.99/gallon in southern Tennessee...

Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The companies can't make new record profits each year if they keep the barrel to finished product pricing the same. And every corporation just ~must~ make new record profits each year or their stocks take a hit and the board gets fired.

I do agree with the market speculators screwing everything up as well. The trading board used to be for oil companies to trade product but the regulators opened up the trading and began to allow speculation driving up both crude and refined costs.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone's making allotta extra dough.
wonder why other sectors of the economy are not growing as planned ... this is one of the reasons.
price of gas hurts the average Joe by reducing disposable income.
Americans realize that.
pisses meoff.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by McFence
The price of oil is only 1 commodity that is traded and thus speculators can affect it's price - but gas itself is another commodity that is traded seperate and speculators are still affecting that price.

I used to think it was all about the price of oil and how every year we would go from .70 to a high of 1.00, then next quarter it would go from .95 to 1.10 and so on until they have us trained now that 1.20 is cheap and 1.5 is the feared new ceiling - and while the price of gas does indeed test new highs and never drop down to old lows it's not on the oil companies for that - it's the commodities market.

I'm sure it's 100 times more complicated then that - but the main point is it's not just about Sheik Abdullah deciding papa needs a new yacht so lets run the price up a few pennies - the same markets many of us build our RRSP's etc with affect the price of gas more significantly.

Dave
wouldnt it be nice if our rrsp's grew at the same rate as the price of gas lately.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
jimbo2golfgolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
I've had an idea for a while. While we all need gas and a one day boycot of any gas station is a joke. How about we organized a movement that boycotted let's say Shell for a month. Then Esso for a month etc. Can you imagine the chaos it would cause with staffing and food spoiling. I bet they would adjust their pricing!
Start it, send out emails to 20 friends and ask them to send it on to 20 friends and it keeps going, lets start the month of July and Boycott Shell for July, then Chevron for the month of Aug, then Esso for the month of Sep, Petro-canada for the month of Oct and Mohawk (Husky) for the month of Nov, then start again, if you think gas is expensive back east you shold see the prices out here, LETS START NOW.

Last edited by jimbo2golfgolf; 06-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
jimbo2golfgolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimbo2golfgolf
Start it, send out emails to 20 friends and ask them to send it on to 20 friends and it keeps going, lets start the month of July and Boycott Shell for July, then Chevron for the month of Aug, then Esso for the month of Sep, Petro-canada for the month of Oct and Mohawk (Husky) for the month of Nov, then start again, if you think gas is expensive back east you shold see the prices out here, LETS START NOW.
Done my part and sent out to 20 friends as above, now it's your turn.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boycotted Chevron
Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM
jimbo2golfgolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRNZ06
Boycotted Chevron
If everyone will not boycott in the same order it will not work
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Help Stop Excess Pricing.

Help - Husky
Stop - Shell
Excess - Esso
Pricing - Petro-Canada

July --- Husky
Aug --- Shell
Sep --- Esso
Oct--- Petro Canada

What do you think? Something we can remember?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
jimbo2golfgolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
Help Stop Excess Pricing.

Help - Husky
Stop - Shell
Excess - Esso
Pricing - Petro-Canada

July --- Husky
Aug --- Shell
Sep --- Esso
Oct--- Petro Canada

What do you think? Something we can remember?
Good one, but keep it in the same order.

Stop - Shell
Excess - Esso
Pricing - Petro-Canada
Help Me - Husky Mohawk

Get notified of new replies

To Oil back to 2010 levels.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Retsujou
Racer

If everyone will not boycott in the same order it will not work
You do realise that most parent companies own more than one brand? Boycotting one brand only shifts the income to the other brand. It hurts the owner (franchisee of the station) but not the parent company.

Even when a station is owned by one company the actualy franchisee (owner) of the station prepays for the fuel in their tanks, so in the end you hurt that station owner, not the gas company.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Originally Posted by Retsujou
You do realise that most parent companies own more than one brand? Boycotting one brand only shifts the income to the other brand. It hurts the owner (franchisee of the station) but not the parent company.

Even when a station is owned by one company the actualy franchisee (owner) of the station prepays for the fuel in their tanks, so in the end you hurt that station owner, not the gas company.
Do you think they have a voice? I bet if enough of them get together they do. You need to start somewhere.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you realise that most stations get the fuel from the closest refinery/tank farm? All the major companies have trucks lined up to be filled at the Esso refinery in Nanitocoke.

Quick Reply: Oil back to 2010 levels.