Canadian Events Canada, eh?

MSD Atomic EFI Seminar Saturday at PI

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default MSD Atomic EFI Seminar Saturday at PI

Just a heads up for anyone that might also be interested, I'm going to a seminar this Saturday morning (10:30 to 12) on EFI conversions. The lead tech from MSD will be presenting/doing an install (alas not on my car - a Mustang.)

Oh- it's at PI in Etobicoke.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I reserved a seat the other day, will hopefully be able to make it.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

any feedback on the event and how the product performed once installed.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

The Mustang at the store that had just had the system installed performed well. For me there are still many questions marks that I would like see answered over the next year or so. From various forums MSD's reliability has come into question fairly often over the last few years. While advertised as a returnless system even the tech recommended installing a rtn line which most of us would have expected anyway for pump life. I have concerns over the everything on a chip/board. It has some excellent features for me however I want to hear back from owners that have been running this system for at least 1 year preferably more. The FAST system had a few growing pains as well. The tech was a good saleperson for the system, time will tell if this unit is reliable and better than the FAST system. I understand that MSD makes the Edelbrock efi system so the company would have learned a lot from the issues that the Edel had over the years.
Bottom line for me would I buy one now - no but that is just MHO at this time in that product's life. My point in going is that within the next few yrs. I will be doing a body off on the '72. I have the original engine and tranny but they will need to be rebuilt again. I can pick up an ls 3 or 7 and install c/w efi ecu etc. when I open the hood I will be looking at a modern engine. Or I could buy an ls engine without the factory efi and install something like the MSD or FAST efi and will appear relatively stock. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, life is good and occassionally fun!
One thing I like about the old carb engines is that they do burp, snort, fart, hiccup etc. on startup and idle - you sit at a stop light and get your own version of a Zoomba workout all while sitting in the vette, it's all part of the vintage experience, lol. Both my wife and I would miss that side of running the old carb system but there are also just so many benefits to an efi system.

Last edited by gdh; 05-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Good turnout and great hospitality from PI.

MSD's Technical Director Joe Pando came in from El Paso to discuss in detail the extremely well thought out engineering, design and manufacturing in these systems. Joe's seems a great guy and an excellent asset to MSD. In fact the more I learn the more I'm really impressed with them. An American company that builds in America. They dyno test every Atomic system for 4 hours. Definitely concerned with quality.

They've thought out the details on what is a deceptively sophisticated system, including CANBUS and fault tolerance/redundancies built in. No suprise it won the Best New Product Award in last November's SEMA.

Although a returnless fuel delivery is possible, as Greg mentios it's clear that the advantages of a return system makes the trouble worthwhile.

The hand held controller is an amazing device for tuning and instant information available. Joe joked that there are so many settings and so much detail you might get charged with texting as you drive, tweak and monitor everything going on with your motor.

The LS swap vs. Atomic EFI question lingers for many of us. The Atomic EFI is quite affordable once you have added all the ancillary LS conversion costs, plus you have the benefits of a hand-based controller that with an LS tuning is a much more complicated issue. If you have a nice motor, it undeniably just looks "right" so even though a vintage ride may lose some of the noise, smell and rumble at least the appearance of character remains.

Personally, I'm sold on the Atomic - and intend to add it to the Edelbrock Performer in my Corvette early next year. This year, I have the boat to complete and too many other automotive projects demanding time and money. I'm also more comfortable giving new products a year to sort out.

I may do an LS conversion later in the Corvette but by then, like Greg it will be part of a major body-off chassis rebuild and refinish of the entire car. When and if I do that, the Atomic/Edelbrock will move from my Corvette and into my boat. Joe said that benefits to marine applications for the Atomic are substantial, and the market there is huge. The Atomic in it's present state is already pretty much ready for freshwater use and currently the matter is clearing legal. This will do GREAT things for my Baja.

A full LS salvage drivetrain swap is definitely in the cards for my '75 Silverado, just in time for us to start hauling the Airstream around - bit that's last on my list - part of my early retirement plans I guess.

Here is an excellent FAQ on the Atomic: http://www.atomicefi.com/AtomicFAQ.aspx

And a good video

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Atomic EFI Seminar Saturday at PI

Quick Reply: MSD Atomic EFI Seminar Saturday at PI