Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Non-Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM
roysvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Non-Starter

Help! Anyone have any ideas? My car won't start only with a boost. Battery tender on all winter. Battery appeared dead. Put a charger on overnight, it says the battery is fully charged but no start. Just clicking and then nothing. When I boosted it, I drove around fo 1/2 hour. Ran perfectly. Then no restart! 2010 GS vert with 8,000 klicks. I can boost and get back to the dealer but I'm wondering if any of you know about similar issues? Fuses, relays etc.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
SoulSurfer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roysvette
Help! Anyone have any ideas? My car won't start only with a boost. Battery tender on all winter. Battery appeared dead. Put a charger on overnight, it says the battery is fully charged but no start. Just clicking and then nothing. When I boosted it, I drove around fo 1/2 hour. Ran perfectly. Then no restart! 2010 GS vert with 8,000 klicks. I can boost and get back to the dealer but I'm wondering if any of you know about similar issues? Fuses, relays etc.
I had that problem years ago. Do you have a real charger, like a Schumacher one? My tender was not on a good ground until I permanently bolted the quick-connect wire to the car. It cost me a new battery. Try and borrow a normal charger and it may get you going.

Just a thought. Best of luck.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Could be a premature failure of the battery, any way you can check that? I can come over if you want and put mine in there to see...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 AM
tony 69 ls6
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like you need a new battery .cheek the battery terminals some times they get corrosion if this is ok you need a new battery

Last edited by tony 69 ls6; 03-18-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
JUSTAKAR
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Take jags offer

Try the new battery with Mike's offer as I am pretty sure it's a new battery you need.....see Devon as he may have a good used battery for a good deal.
Ian
Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Your battery is junk Roy, don't be so cheap just go buy a new one!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dankhts
Your battery is junk Roy, don't be so cheap just go buy a new one!
Aw, just buy a new Vette Roy I'll take your current POS, dead battery and all, off your hands
Old 03-18-2012, 11:39 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Aw, just buy a new Vette Roy I'll take your current POS, dead battery and all, off your hands
And that is the best deal of the day for you Roy
Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd be suspicious of that battery tender. It might have failed, over charging the battery all winter, cooking it and boiling it dry. This seems to be a common failure mode of the Deltran Battery Tender brand.

Can you open the caps on that battery to see if it's a little dry inside?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM
roysvette
Pro

Hi Mike. I'll be home by 1:30 if you're available. I can't believe battery is junk already, but you never know....posts look clean and no corrosion. put hands on both posts and one isn't heating up as if there is one loose and excess resistance. So I'm totally baffled. If I have to get a new battery I will. Hopefully I can get one today somewhere.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
roysvette
Pro

Thanx for all the great advice guys! Especially you Dan....
Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
roysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I'd be suspicious of that battery tender. It might have failed, over charging the battery all winter, cooking it and boiling it dry. This seems to be a common failure mode of the Deltran Battery Tender brand.

Can you open the caps on that battery to see if it's a little dry inside?
I've used the other two that are very similar on my Harleys and no problems so I'd be surprised as I don't reserve any special tender for any special vehicle. But you may be right.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM
roysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
And that is the best deal of the day for you Roy
you guys are definitely the best! That's why I didnt stop at PBB Friday night. I was afraid to shut the damned thing off!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
jimbo2golfgolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 Your Battery should be covered under your Warranty.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
roysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by jimbo2golfgolf
2010 Your Battery should be covered under your Warranty.
I was thinking that it should be covered. But I'll have to wait and check with Dealer tomorrow. Thanx.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I was thinking that it should be covered. But I'll have to wait and check with Dealer tomorrow. Thanx.
and while you are at the dealer...................you would look pretty good in a new zr1
Old 03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
and while you are at the dealer...................you would look pretty good in a new zr1
Go in for a battery and come out with a $100,000+ automobile, sounds reasonable.

Get notified of new replies

To Non-Starter

Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
roysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by AGVI
Go in for a battery and come out with a $100,000+ automobile, sounds reasonable.
Unfortunately that seems to be the way it works sometimes!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
roysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Thanx to Raggdoll for stopping by and confirming what everyone's saying! New battery needed. Hop it's warrantied. I'll be calling the dealer first thing. Friday I was able to boost it and it started right up. Hopefully it'll do the same tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've used the other two that are very similar on my Harleys and no problems so I'd be surprised as I don't reserve any special tender for any special vehicle. But you may be right.
I'm not saying their failure is common, I'm saying that if it failed, one of the common ways to fail is a failure mode which over voltages the battery and basically cooks it. Personally, I'd monitor that tender for over voltage or not charging next time you use it. Basically, the voltage should be holding somewhere around 13V give or take about a 1/2 volt.

Hope you get a warranty on the battery.

Quick Reply: Non-Starter