Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Tiles for garage. What do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 PM
cobra279
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiles for garage. What do you have?

I have finally got around to painting my garage and setting up the cabinets. I am considering some sort of plastic tile for the floor. What are you guys using and any pros and cons to what you have? I know about the Race Deck and I found a local company that does one very similar. Any other options? I am also considering an actual Porcelain tile. Not interested in Epoxy.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

this is what I think of getting its a stick on tile but no water can get underneath seems to have good reviews

http://www.elite-xpressions.com/raceday.htm
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM
GiggityGiggity
Racer

if your considering porcelain, you have lots of options. Best bet would be to use a self levelling cement base before laying your tile down to avoid hollow spots and cracking when you drive over them.

Epoxy is easy quick and durable, lots of options there.

Race deck is very nice and I would lean toward that if your inclined.

Any options you should consider should be easy to clean and stain resistant which eliminates slate or other porous materials. What about Vinyl? Have you considered something like Duroc? Like patterned concrete, you can make your own template/style and just roll the finish over the existing floor in your garage.

Whatever you decide, post pics when your done
Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

What you use depends to some extent what the slab is like. If it's cracked and uneven then racedeck or equivalent would work better (and you can take it with you if you move). If it's a perfect floor then you have lots of options. Also depends what you do in the garage. If you roll a creeper around and use a jack and jackstands then you want something smooth and flat which grouted tiles aren't.

PM Jamie (WATTACAR) as he's in the flooring business and will have some suggestions.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:16 PM
cobra279
Advanced

[QUOTE= Have you considered something like Duroc? Like patterned concrete, you can make your own template/style and just roll the finish over the existing floor in your garage.[/QUOTE]

what is Duroc? any links to a website?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 AM
GiggityGiggity
Racer

try this http://www.durock.ca/ (forgot the K in my last post, sorry bout that)

their Jewelstone product can give you a very unique and special look. Or, have a look at the Interior products can give you that more traditional look.

I've used their venetian plaster in my home to top coat my hallways (up and down stairs) as well as in my family room and on an accent wall in my kitchen. They make great products.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a CVT (commercial vinyl tile) it's been down for over 3 years now and works amazing. Very durable, cleans very easily and dirt cheap. Jamie (wattacar) as suggested can also point you in the right direction. I think I spent about $375.00 total to do my garage floor and I did it myself over a weekend.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Monte04ss
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
I used a CVT (commercial vinyl tile) it's been down for over 3 years now and works amazing. Very durable, cleans very easily and dirt cheap. Jamie (wattacar) as suggested can also point you in the right direction. I think I spent about $375.00 total to do my garage floor and I did it myself over a weekend.

your floor looks great !

I hear that the CVT tiles can be VERY slippery for someone who uses their garage year round. Any input over the last 3 years of use ?

as for the original OP, I have been looking at flooring from Big floor .com
they sell the racedeck flooring and the race deck entry line tiles too. just one more item to explore. at 1.99 a tile it sure beats the $5 we get quoted up here

thanks,

thanks,
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Monte04ss
your floor looks great !

I hear that the CVT tiles can be VERY slippery for someone who uses their garage year round. Any input over the last 3 years of use ?

as for the original OP, I have been looking at flooring from Big floor .com
they sell the racedeck flooring and the race deck entry line tiles too. just one more item to explore. at 1.99 a tile it sure beats the $5 we get quoted up here

thanks,

thanks,
1) Thanks
2) If used year round the floor when wet can be slippery if waxed like I did with mine. Mine does not get year round use (in the sense of snow driven car parked inside) and it is heated in the winter so any water dries quickly. If this is a year round use garage then I would go with the race deck type flooring. More expensive but will suit your year rounds needs more appropriately I think.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a commercial vinyl tile put down. Parked the 2011 on it over the winter. BAD tire stains. Took a lot of work to get most of it out.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bishs
We had a commercial vinyl tile put down. Parked the 2011 on it over the winter. BAD tire stains. Took a lot of work to get most of it out.
Yep, the white tiles will get a brownish stain from the tire rubber. When I stack tires in the store I put cardboard under them to avoid the stains, have a few of them on the floor though. I don't know if the sealer will prevent this as I've always put something down since I sealed the floor.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 AM
cobra279
Advanced

I saw some vinyl tile at Rona yesterday and it was dirt cheap. How do you fasten it to the floor though? Is it glued down with some type of adhesive?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

The commercial stuff (CVT) is almost 1/8" thick and is glued down. Regular house stuff will crack as it's a lot thinner. Even the CVT will crack if there is no support under it (large floor crack or void). There is also a vinyl plank you can use. I have some from HD but haven't installed it yet. Search on here for Allure.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cobra279
I saw some vinyl tile at Rona yesterday and it was dirt cheap. How do you fasten it to the floor though? Is it glued down with some type of adhesive?
I sealed mine and have no spots from where I park my car over the winter although before I did I did get some tire marks when I had a set stored directly on the tile. Now I use a fllor mat if I store any tires.

What I did to my floor is I acid etched the floor first with muriatic acid. I actually did this twice. I also filled any imperfections in the floor to ensure the floor was mint. I then used a proper CVT adhesive following the directions and laid my tiles. No issues 3 years later after floor jacks etc etc of working in the garage. It is a cheap bang for the buck but slippery when wet if you wax the floor!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a web search for Roll Flooring. The vinyl Roll looks pretty good. Different patterns and colours available.
Here is one site. There are many others.
http://www.americangaragefloor.com/?...FUTBKgodLw5eVQ

Get notified of new replies

To Tiles for garage. What do you have?

Quick Reply: Tiles for garage. What do you have?