Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Buying from forum members

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Buying from forum members

I'm curious to find out what other opinions are regarding buying used items from forum members. My view is 50% down balance upon receipt of a tracking number. Seems reasonable to me otherwise the vendor has little motivation to get down to the shipping depot ASAP.

I've heard numerous stories of people paying in full upfront and having to wait for unreasonably long periods of time or simply never seeing their items.

I'm particularly concerned when the vendor is south of the border.

Opinions?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

over the last 5 years i have bought or been given parts from the folk in this Corvette community & i have found they operate with a high degree of integrity...absolutely no probs
Pete.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done local and cross-border purchases with forum members and have never, ever had a issue.

If you have any concern, you can always do a thread or user search before purchasing to see if there are any negative posts about problems.

Solid members tend to weed out both forum and vendor members that don't deliver the goods.

Also, you have protection through PayPal. That is the best way to pay. Security both ways

lauri
Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Spocc
over the last 5 years i have bought or been given parts from the folk in this Corvette community & i have found they operate with a high degree of integrity...absolutely no probs
Pete.
I would NOT expect a forum member to send me parts at 50% down and the rest if I liked them, or felt like paying. That would make the buyer look like a thief and I doubt you would ever find anyone here to sell to you. Most people here are honest but I can tell you that under those conditions, I wouldn't sell you anything.
Get pics. Check out what he has sold before. Ask questions. You probably have a better chance of being ripped off at Walmart than you do here but check things out. I would rather send you something for nothing than get caught in a "50% now and 50% later" gimmick.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I would NOT expect a forum member to send me parts at 50% down and the rest if I liked them, or felt like paying. That would make the buyer look like a thief and I doubt you would ever find anyone here to sell to you. Most people here are honest but I can tell you that under those conditions, I wouldn't sell you anything.
Get pics. Check out what he has sold before. Ask questions. You probably have a better chance of being ripped off at Walmart than you do here but check things out. I would rather send you something for nothing than get caught in a "50% now and 50% later" gimmick.
Not at all what I'm saying. When you take a package for shipping they give you a tracking number immediately. 50% down 50% upon receipt of the tracking number makes sense to me. Otherwise the vendor has the product and your money and you are at their mercy waiting for them to ship.

I've had problems business wise with companies south of the border demanding payment up front and dragging their feet on delivery. It got to the point where I'm playing private investigator trying to find the home residence of the business owner.

As for Walmart, they get my money when I get my product not before. If I'm not happy with it I just bring it back. They must be doing something right.

Last edited by PEERPSI; 07-01-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no issues here after numerous transactions...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
kingdady
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just dont fall for a nigerian scammer lol but all jokes aside you should be good with members.. also if your worried pay with paypal .. your always protected there. NEVER PAY BY WESTERN UNION OR MONEY GRAM!!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

I've spent several hours on the phone with Paypal trying to sort out a fraud issue. They are not perfect. Had to change credit card and reorganize preauthorized payments. Real pain in the butt.

No one seems to be getting my main point. What's wrong with half down and half on receipt of a tracking number? I believe the risk should be shared equally between vendor and buyer.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I pay up front and the packages arrive..........all the time.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by PEERPSI
Not at all what I'm saying. When you take a package for shipping they give you a tracking number immediately. 50% down 50% upon receipt of the tracking number makes sense to me. Otherwise the vendor has the product and your money and you are at their mercy waiting for them to ship.

I've had problems business wise with companies south of the border demanding payment up front and dragging their feet on delivery. It got to the point where I'm playing private investigator trying to find the home residence of the business owner.

As for Walmart, they get my money when I get my product not before. If I'm not happy with it I just bring it back. They must be doing something right.
Thing is, nobody is going to sell to you for 50 down and 50 on delivery. With the poor shipping to Canada, it could take more than a month to get your item and then you decide to pay the rest.
Buy from a reputable dealer. Buy from a forum member other people have done deals with and were happy.
I've bought crap before but it has been my own fault. Didn't pay attention to what was advertised or the wrong part number. I don't agree to buy anything unless I get a complete description but I pay up front. Never had a problem with US companies dragging their feet or not delivering and in the last 4 years I have probably ordered over three hundred grand worth of parts.
In the last five years, the only guy that screwed me was my brother in law but he's gone now....
Old 07-02-2011, 01:53 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you talking about forum members? Or forum vendors?

Either way, unless the user has been a member for less than 6 months, I wouldn't hesitate to pay everything up front.

But then again, this is coming from someone who wire transferred over $20,000 to a forum member for his C5 FRC.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I've bought and sold several items through the forum(s) over the years, and ALWAYS paid or been paid 100% up front.

I think everybody "gets your point", but I think it would be a tough sell, quite frankly (the 50/50 deal).

If/when you're dealing with private members (not businesses), within reason, you ought to expect/forgive that "people" have lives, and sometimes it's not convenient to get to the shipping office that very instant to send off the sold item. Perhaps that's something you need to discuss with the person before sending them the money: "when can I expect you to get this shipped out?".

Just my $.02 .
Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Been a member since '98 have bought, sold and given away parts - not one issue but I have heard of a few going very bad. I wouldn't ship anything with less than full pymt. up front not expect to not pony up the full amt. if I were buying. As always it's up to you to do your due diligence and then hope the other person is as honest as you are.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 AM
PEERPSI
Pro

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Thing is, nobody is going to sell to you for 50 down and 50 on delivery. With the poor shipping to Canada, it could take more than a month to get your item and then you decide to pay the rest.
Not what I'm saying at all. They could have all their money the same day. The second half is dependant on their motivation to get it down to the shipping agent.

I'm talking used items from members not commercial vendors. If you buy from a major online vendor you get an order number right away and normally a tracking number within a day.

Many I've bought from don't hit your credit card if the items are back ordered or need to be built until they are actually ready to ship.

Must be just me I guess. As long as the majority are willing to pay up front and have faith that the vendor will do the right thing I have no choice but to follow suit.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:47 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have concerns that the sellor isn't motivated to get the item shipped out because they've been paid in full then you shouldn't be buying that item from them. Check out the sticky at the top about Madvette Motorsports. That's a former forum vendor that couldn't keep up with demand for his product, people waited months for them and they had paid up front. So it's not just private sales, you need to be careful with, it's all vendors.

But to answer your question, yes there is alot of trust in buying an item because the only acceptable practice for paying is payment in full.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Billf6531
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50/50 will never work. It introduces the element of distrust. When you buy remotely, you make a judgment decision of the seller's honesty, reputation, etc., as the result of reviewing his/her previous postings, length of time on the forum, etc. If I'm not satisfied, I don't make a purchase.

One key element that has served me well is to provide my name, address, and telephone number in my emails and PMs, and ask for the same. Reluctance to share those details is an automatic 'tilt'. No honest person would refuse to provide that information.

I've never been stung, and I've bought things large and small from sellers all over the world for at least 15 years.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:04 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Racer
I pay up front and the packages arrive..........all the time.
,most times I have it shipped to my US address if it is coming from there,,,,

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
If you have concerns that the sellor isn't motivated to get the item shipped out because they've been paid in full then you shouldn't be buying that item from them. Check out the sticky at the top about Madvette Motorsports. That's a former forum vendor that couldn't keep up with demand for his product, people waited months for them and they had paid up front. So it's not just private sales, you need to be careful with, it's all vendors.

But to answer your question, yes there is alot of trust in buying an item because the only acceptable practice for paying is payment in full.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying from forum members

Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I've dealt with a few vendors and never had a problem in getting my stuff shipped. On the flip side, people have bought from me and sent me full payment in advance.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I've dealt with a few vendors and never had a problem in getting my stuff shipped. On the flip side, people have bought from me and sent me full payment in advance.
,,btw your avatars are starting to match Racers,,,,
Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
,,btw your avatars are starting to match Racers,,,,
just a different pose

Quick Reply: Buying from forum members