RIP Constable Garrett Styles

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 PM
kingdady
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RIP Constable Garrett Styles

For those who dont know

This morning Constable Garrett Styles had stopped a vehicle on Highway 48 at Herald Road, east of Highway 404, in the hamlet of East Gwillimbury at around 4:50 a.m. He parked his cruiser directly behind the 2005 Dodge Caravan, walked up to it and discovered four teenagers inside.

The officer ran the van’s licence plate, discovered the vehicle did not belong to any of the occupants and reached inside for the keys

At that point the van suddenly lurched forward, snagging Constable Styles and dragging him for about 300 metres. The driver lost control and the van rolled over on top of the officer

Constable Styles, who was able to radio for help, was freed from the wreckage by firefighters, then rushed to nearby Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, where he died from his injuries at around 6 a.m

Our thoughts and prayers go out to PC Styles friends and family during this time of mourning.

I have had the opportunity to meet PC styles on a few occasions and he was a very outstanding person with a great personality.

He leaves behind his wife melissa, his 2½-year-old daughter Meredith and 9-week-old son Nolan

Please keep them in your prayers.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

A sad, sad event. That 15 year old kid's life just took a drastic turn. A split second bad decision on his part and that poor cop paid with his life. So sad
Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

Worst part is the stupid 15 year old will get a slap on the wrist. He'll never really pay the price.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Cachet_kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An event that didn't have to happen. Really hits home when a young family is ruined. RIP PC Styles, hopefully justice will finally be served.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

how many other folk in this Province are sick of Police Officers getting taken out by no-good scum behind the wheel of cars, mini-vans , snow ploughs etc

maybe the approach should be sidearms out when approaching the vehicle, demanding the occupants show both hands

another law-enforcement family shattered forever...dang

prayers for the family
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 PM
95ragtop
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As the wife of a retired police officer, it is a terrible tragedy. Two childen will never know their father and a wife is left to explain this when they grow up. Where were the parents of all these underage kids that were in the van? RIP and prayers to the family.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Such a shame.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doublec4
Worst part is the stupid 15 year old will get a slap on the wrist. He'll never really pay the price.
Sorry but that's not exactly true. While his ultimate sentence may not be as severe as you may have wished it will be only a small part of his ruined life. Imagine at 15 having to deal with the fact that you killed a man, not on purpose but killed him for sure, and the legal price he pays will fall quite short I'm sure of the emotional, social, and human costs he will pay for the rest of his life.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
ZROCKET6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To PC Styles Family are Deepest Condolences
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Terrible tragedy. Deepest condolences to his wife and two young children.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

,,,,,,words are not enough,,,,
Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
roysvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kingdady
For those who dont know

This morning Constable Garrett Styles had stopped a vehicle on Highway 48 at Herald Road, east of Highway 404, in the hamlet of East Gwillimbury at around 4:50 a.m. He parked his cruiser directly behind the 2005 Dodge Caravan, walked up to it and discovered four teenagers inside.

The officer ran the van’s licence plate, discovered the vehicle did not belong to any of the occupants and reached inside for the keys

At that point the van suddenly lurched forward, snagging Constable Styles and dragging him for about 300 metres. The driver lost control and the van rolled over on top of the officer

Constable Styles, who was able to radio for help, was freed from the wreckage by firefighters, then rushed to nearby Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, where he died from his injuries at around 6 a.m

Our thoughts and prayers go out to PC Styles friends and family during this time of mourning.

I have had the opportunity to meet PC styles on a few occasions and he was a very outstanding person with a great personality.

He leaves behind his wife melissa, his 2½-year-old daughter Meredith and 9-week-old son Nolan

Please keep them in your prayers.

See the 15 year old has been charged with first degree murder. Not enough by a long shot. As a member of a family of law enforcement officers, it's especially hard to see another one downed so senselessly. Our heartfelt condolences to the poor family he left behind.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
BAD-C5
Pro

So sad....RIP.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Retsujou
Racer

Originally Posted by roysvette
See the 15 year old has been charged with first degree murder. Not enough by a long shot. As a member of a family of law enforcement officers, it's especially hard to see another one downed so senselessly. Our heartfelt condolences to the poor family he left behind.

Just to put this into perspective for those who are not familiar with the sentencing structures of the Canadian legal system. First degree murder means a person who is convicted of first degree murder is sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years. It also means that there is no possibility for a pardon unless a court so orders. As much as I agree with your sentiment, having worked with youth offenders I can assure you that the burden of having killed a man at 15 and going to jail for 25 years without parole will punish him more than enough. Even if the sentence is commuted until he reaches 18 years of age. Given the severity and his age this will almost certainly mean he will be tried as an adult.

My condolences go to the family, however as someone who has had to work on both sides of the fence I would wish we could keep this comments sensible. Thank you
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Retsujou
Just to put this into perspective for those who are not familiar with the sentencing structures of the Canadian legal system. First degree murder means a person who is convicted of first degree murder is sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years. It also means that there is no possibility for a pardon unless a court so orders. As much as I agree with your sentiment, having worked with youth offenders I can assure you that the burden of having killed a man at 15 and going to jail for 25 years without parole will punish him more than enough. Even if the sentence is commuted until he reaches 18 years of age. Given the severity and his age this will almost certainly mean he will be tried as an adult.

My condolences go to the family, however as someone who has had to work on both sides of the fence I would wish we could keep this comments sensible. Thank you
Well written and
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

My deepest and sincerest condolences to the family of this brave young man.

Get notified of new replies

To RIP Constable Garrett Styles

Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

very sad
Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I wish we never had to loose a man in uniform. I can't beging to imagine what his wife is going through. I remember what it was like the first few months of my childrens lifes. How do you manage in that situation.

At the end of the day two families have had their lifes ruined.

I understand the automatic reaction is to blame the teenagers parents but there are children who are simply bad.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
LS12NV
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So the sentence for someone convicted of this sort of crime would be the same, regardless of whether they were under age or not? I did not realize that. I thought the sentencing for a youth was much shorter...

Quick Reply: RIP Constable Garrett Styles