Canadian Events Canada, eh?

flappy paddle shifter coming to Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
Yep, them was my comments and I stand by them. Some things Corvette needs to leave alone and an Automatic in a Z06 from factory would make me heave. If that does happen I believe there are better choices out there but as long as the Z06 is a manual gearbox then I will Drive a vette. If you compare interiors of cars half the Vette's price by GM they are better. For a premium Halo car it should be better for the price being charged. Z06 and GTR are similar in price yet look at the technology you get in the GTR. Its a complete package which is where GM should have fixed this out of the gate. I happen to love big engines with RWD and stick. Take that combo away and I'd move in a heart beat.
amen.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
Yep, them was my comments and I stand by them. Some things Corvette needs to leave alone and an Automatic in a Z06 from factory would make me heave. If that does happen I believe there are better choices out there but as long as the Z06 is a manual gearbox then I will Drive a vette. If you compare interiors of cars half the Vette's price by GM they are better. For a premium Halo car it should be better for the price being charged. Z06 and GTR are similar in price yet look at the technology you get in the GTR. Its a complete package which is where GM should have fixed this out of the gate. I happen to love big engines with RWD and stick. Take that combo away and I'd move in a heart beat.

There are other Corvettes that come with automatics if you must have one, so leave the ZO6 alone. Might as well ask for a back seat and a trailer hitch..... Instead of adding an auto, how about removing the child restraint, the cup holder, the vanity mirror, and the mufflers.
Actually, GM could reduce the cost of the ZO6 by offering it without an Onstar module. That would also free up a 12 volt power source for something that is actually useful. Like a beer cooler....

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
dasilvaszo6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Overdrive;1576881363]A dual mode manual would be nice. Shift normally if you want, go to paddle mode for when you don't.

That way I could have the stick I like and my wife who doesn't drive stick (yet) could drive it too.

I'm not sure? But I don't think it can work that way. I have never seen a regular manual with a paddle shift as well. A sequential yes but not full out manual. Maybe today's tech might be able to do it? My .2 cents on the manual vs paddle! No one could ever replicate the speed of a paddle! I love rowing through the gears like anyone else and the downshift process at a race track is a feeling like no other to me... Rev matching braking and fethering the clutch back out all within split seconds can never be replaced as a feeling! But to be able to tap twice on a paddle and grab two downshifts in the time it takes to think about pressing the clutch. Bring on the paddles baby. Oh and while their at it... Put a F'n interior in the car to put it in the league they belong. Ridiculous that the vette still has shoddy materials in the car. Look at all the other supercars and their interiors. Quality materials at least, styling all your choice.
Cheers
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

We have a DSG transmission in our 2011 VW CC (Passat)
This is also a duel clutch system in an automatic mode.
You have the ability to shift the gears on your own with the console shifter.
So far I am very impressed with this transmission. This car has a 2 ltr. Turbo and is sneaky fast, gets awesome mileage, great handling & very cool.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought a 2011 Chevy CRUZE this week & the interior is superior to my C6.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airwilf
I just bought a 2011 Chevy CRUZE this week & the interior is superior to my C6.
Considering the positioning within the product line and the price the Vette has a pretty poor interior quality.

The SRT seats in my Magnum are way more comfortable and supportive than Vette seats and it's a grocery getter.

The Cruze is a nice car though and they're selling bunches of them.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Corvette is doing something to address some of these short commings. Don't get me wrong as I love my vette and wouldn't want to trade it for anything unless I absolutely had to. I don't consider flicking the paddle to shift gears a manual trans however. I like the fact that Corvette has engineered the LS7, the wide body etc. I think they fell a little short on the interior to make it feel like the true sports car that it is. A little more seat support and less cheap plastic to give the interior a more quality look and feel for the price would have likely done more to sell the car as well. But overall the Vette is a killer machine. Change the recipe and I doubt I could say the same...?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike our new-to-us Audi S5 coupe is most often found with a manual tranny. The V8 is awesome. Wait too long and it'll come with a V6 and Supercharger (the 'vert is already built that way.)

The coupe sounds incredible too. Handling is awesome. It took us to Chicoutimi in October. We found snow with PZeros on and the audi tracked beautifully. Not a Vette substitute but a great car. We run snows in the winter.

As an aside, I didn't drive our M3/Dinan/SMG enough. But the SMG messed with my mind. I'd rather have a 6 speed myself, but my wife needed it because of the driver's position in the M3. It has morphed into a 335 cab with 6-speed.

So based on experience with only one car, I would rather have a clutch too.

DaveL
Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total M6 guy myself, but for you track guys, the flappy paddle has proven faster. I'll bet lots of Z's get purchased that way. I'm surprised GM didn't do it earlier.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Racer
How's your 8 track working...
Is that you Racer44?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by lager99
Is that you Racer44?
Wow, haven't seen you around for a while, how's the Americans and off topic????

Quick Reply: flappy paddle shifter coming to Z06?