Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Track wheels and tires - help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 AM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Track wheels and tires - help me decide

I have decided to buy a set of track wheels and tires for my C6 Z51. I plan to do approximately 6 track days a year. My stock GY Supercups are pretty well worn (3.5 years old and 12,000 km) and don't have sufficient grip for the track.

I have read every thread on the topic and although my ultimate choice would be a set of CCW C14 wheels, because of the price (~$2800 + shipping), I think that I am going to order a set of Factory Reproduction split spoke 18 x 9.5 57mm offset and 19 x 11 79mm offset wheels (~1000 + shipping). For tires, I looked at Kumho XS, Nitto V710, Bridgestone RE-11, Michelin Sport Cup, Hoosier R6, and Toyo R888. They don't all come in the same sizes. Based upon what I read I was looking for 275/35/18 front and 305/30/19 rear. I narrowed it down to the R6 and the R888 and I have finalized on the R888 as I believe they will last longer (expect 4 track days on R6 and 6+ on R888) although they will have less grip than the R6. I really don't want to have to buy new track tires more than once a year.

Questions

1. Can anyone give me any advice as to tire or wheel that I have not considered? Are the R888's a bad choice?
2. Has anyone run both the R888 and the R6? If so, what feedback on wear and how long did they last?
2. Can anyone recommend a vendor for the R888 in the Toronto area?

Greg, Steve(s), Ramon, I am especially interested in your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Ed.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

The track crew will no doubt chime in, but based on what I've heard, I would not feel comfortable with the aftermarket reproduction wheels for track duty. Pretty sure the OEM speedlines that come with the car are forged and would be a better choice.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would stay away from the Factory Reproductions for choice of wheels. I put a post up on the C6 for sale side looking for a set of used CCW's and ended up with a great deal that included Toyo RA1's....although they are an 18f and 18r combo.
If you can't find a set that way and if you want to stay with an 18f and 19r combo, look at the LG WC wheel....very good wheel for the money.
I ran R6's and they lasted 6 track days....front's corded first, rears might have had one track day left. They were a very fun tire to run.

The RA1's that came with my CCW's had a couple of track days on them and I've put 4 more on them, they still have life in them. They are definitely a close second for grip, but a clear winner in cost vs life.
Steve N ran the Nitto's and they lasted almost a whole season.

Steve and I are now going to try some Pirelli scrubs that we picked up fairly cheap which for the cost of 8 tires is still less than 4 new hoosiers.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM
TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
The track crew will no doubt chime in, but based on what I've heard, I would not feel comfortable with the aftermarket reproduction wheels for track duty. Pretty sure the OEM speedlines that come with the car are forged and would be a better choice.
No recommendation re rims, tires, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
tires.
Pls read Jacks post, very wise.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
I would stay away from the Factory Reproductions for choice of wheels. I put a post up on the C6 for sale side looking for a set of used CCW's and ended up with a great deal that included Toyo RA1's....although they are an 18f and 18r combo.
If you can't find a set that way and if you want to stay with an 18f and 19r combo, look at the LG WC wheel....very good wheel for the money.
I ran R6's and they lasted 6 track days....front's corded first, rears might have had one track day left. They were a very fun tire to run.

The RA1's that came with my CCW's had a couple of track days on them and I've put 4 more on them, they still have life in them. They are definitely a close second for grip, but a clear winner in cost vs life.
Steve N ran the Nitto's and they lasted almost a whole season.

Steve and I are now going to try some Pirelli scrubs that we picked up fairly cheap which for the cost of 8 tires is still less than 4 new hoosiers.

Hey Ed, I am going to have to support the "say no" to aftermarket wheels. You might get lucky and have no issues with the set you are looking at but we have heard of a few people (too many) who had them crack or break with track use especially when you put a sticky tire on them and create higher G-loads. I would do what Greg suggested and post in the C6 general and C6 for sale sections and see if you can pick up a used set of CCWs or at least an OEM set. The C5 speedlines are great wheels but the offset didnt work too well on a C6.

As far as tires go, I loved the R6s for how they performed but I dont like how fast they wear 4-6 track days max.. I still have a fairly new set of r6's that I need to go through this year but I wont be buying them again. I got a set of Dunlop slicks from Greg last year and I was pretty happy with those so I need to finish those off too and then I have 2 full sets of Pirelli slicks to go though as well.

I dont have direct experience with the 888s but they seem to be a good track tire and used by quite a few guys in HPDE events, but as mentioned I used the Nitto 555RII and I was extremely happy with how sticky they were and how long they lasted. Really a great tire.

If you can, really try to get a good track wheel since you plan on doing this a few times, you wont regret the investment.. I wish I just bought a good set up front and didnt mess around with different set ups.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

CCW's rock for track duty. Safer then even OEM wheels. I definitely wouldn't go with anything made in the east.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM
TurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jumper5836
CCW's rock for track duty. Safer then even OEM wheels. I definitely wouldn't go with anything made in the east.
How about the women from the East, Mr. Jumper?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TurboS
How about the women from the East, Mr. Jumper?
I don't know about that been married far to long.
Though I would tend to think Paul McCartney regrets it.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ed, as I read your post i was saying NO to aftermarket. I agree with the peanut gallery (greg/steve) No comment on the tires, haven't learned enough yet. I ask Devon and he tells me what I need to know and happy so far

lauri

PS..My track wheels are C5z Speedline

Last edited by WYCKD 1; 02-08-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get brand new OEM speedline wheels from house of wheels dirt cheap right now. Drop him a line. under $1K new! These are not the cheaper made in China ones. There are the real deal OEM wheels.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
MikeG06
Advanced

Not sure about the Z51 brake/ brake fluid, but when I track my 6Z6 with CCW and R6 the OEM fluid boiled, pads wore down fast, so if using R6 you may consider changing those to dot 4 fluid and racing pads...
Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
TurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
Hi Ed, as I read your post i was saying NO to aftermarket. I agree with the peanut gallery (greg/steve) No comment on the tires, haven't learned enough yet. I ask Devon and he tells me what I need to know and happy so far

lauri

PS..My track wheels are C5z Speedline
Talk about feeling left out. What about me and the Jumper,don't we belong in the gallery? Or are you trying to segregate the
Peanut gallery, from the Walnut Gallery?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the guidance. Good point about the reproductions. I don't want to have a wheel break at the track or even worry about it. I will likely order the CCW's and the family will have to sacrifice (e.g. no grad dress for my youngest daughter ). Now I have to decide whether to buy 18" or 19" for the rears.

With respect to the tires, I looked at the Nitto 555R2's but they only come in 285/35/18 and 305/35/18 sizes. I think 285 is too big.

I will have to do a little more research.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboS
Talk about feeling left out. What about me and the Jumper,don't we belong in the gallery? Or are you trying to segregate the
Peanut gallery, from the Walnut Gallery?
Mea culpa Porschaaaa boys...had Corvette tunnel vision

lauri

PS..speaking from the experience of brake failure, you want a really good hi-temp brake fluid..although even that needs to be watched..right John And suffering a "some-timer" moment, can't remember what's in my car...
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
Mea culpa Porschaaaa boys...had Corvette tunnel vision

lauri

PS..speaking from the experience of brake failure, you want a really good hi-temp brake fluid..although even that needs to be watched..right John And suffering a "some-timer" moment, can't remember what's in my car...
you are most likely using Wilwood High Temp 570 as I think we all are and yes, this is a must.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
Thanks for all the guidance. Good point about the reproductions. I don't want to have a wheel break at the track or even worry about it. I will likely order the CCW's and the family will have to sacrifice (e.g. no grad dress for my youngest daughter ). Now I have to decide whether to buy 18" or 19" for the rears.

With respect to the tires, I looked at the Nitto 555R2's but they only come in 285/35/18 and 305/35/18 sizes. I think 285 is too big.

285 should be fine if you have the right offset but if you are buying the CCWs new, Talk to John or Chip and they will tell you what you can run on the C6. My C5 had 245s from the factory on the front and I'm now running 300's and 305's. The only advice I can offer on 18 vs. 19 is.... you will have better availability and options if you go to 18 and they are much cheaper then 19".
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoC6

I'm running a 275/35/18 and 305/35/18 in the RA1's. If you're ordering new from ccw, get the set that will fit a BBK so down the road you can upgrade your brakes without having to change the wheels again.
If you run stock ride height you can run a 295 up front, but then camber needs to be adjusted. I went with the smaller tire so I could lower the car a bit.

Last edited by 1BDRSK; 02-08-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Track wheels and tires - help me decide

Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
TurboS
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=WYCKD 1;1573032771]Mea culpa Porschaaaa boys...had Corvette tunnel vision

lauri

Mea culpa, is that like, My Bad.
Porschaaaa, have you been influenced by, Canada Wolf_Eh?
At least you didn't say, Porch.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 PM
DNJ
Intermediate

I would stay away from the R888's as I found that would only last about 2 days on the back of my M3.3 or 4 hot laps and the grip level would just start to go away and then they would start to come apart.I switched to RA1's and had none of these issues even after running hard for 30 minute sessions.I think they only work on light low powered cars not heavier moderatly powered ones.Here are some pics of what I have done to 888's.

This set had 3 hours use from new.

This had 3 days including 2 at MIR.

By the way this was on a E92 V8 M3
Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
You can get brand new OEM speedline wheels from house of wheels dirt cheap right now. Drop him a line. under $1K new! These are not the cheaper made in China ones. There are the real deal OEM wheels.

Mike is dead on. That is where I got my C5 Z06 o.e. rims.

Quick Reply: Track wheels and tires - help me decide