Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Edmonton Service

I am looking for fellow Edmontonians.
I am new to the Vette world with a 2008 3LT Coupe.
Where is the best place for general service?
Where is the best place for mods and tuning?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Service

Hi 08.

I've had very good service from Westgate Chevrolet which is located on the west side of Edmonton.

If you live on the south side of the city I'd try Nicholson Chev. They are also a Callaway dealer. Sometimes when I drive by I stop to check out the Callaway Corvette's in the showroom.

Dick
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the response Dick.
I am trying to decide between Nicholson and Don Wheaton.
Nicholson are the Callaway dudes and do have cool vettes...that is where I bought mine.
For some reason, I think that Don Wheaton is a stronger Chev dealer.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Don Wheaton

I've never tried D.W.

I've been inside the Nicholson and Westgate shops. Both are huge and I've seen Vettes being worked on in both. From what I have seen I would have no qualms with either shop. I have had GM service from Vancouver Island to Saskatchewan and I will stand by Westgate. I've also purchased five cars from them and will continue to see them first in the future unless Cathy gets an Audi R4. .

I would consider Nicholson a "Vette" dealer as I suspect they move the majority of Vettes in the area. On the other hand Westgate has very few Vettes on their lot, if any at all.

Dick
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Tuning

I am interested in a local tuner as well.

I have no plans to spend a tonne of money on performance mods because I have always kept/returned my toys to stock but I have had very good experience with after market tuners, like Superchips for my truck. I did see an instant increase in fuel economy.

I'm thinking that maybe the Diablo Tuner will be handy for trouble shooting any error codes, possibly down-load a better ignition curve and possibly I'll be able to "fix" my cooling fan issue myself. It's only $400 locally but I just haven't had the time to investigate this further.

Now if there is a local shop with Corvette tuning experience, well now I'd have to knock on his door to see what they have to offer.

Dick
Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

In my searching for Z06 dual mode mufflers, I ran into Steve at Davenport Motor Sports in Calgary.
They specialize in mods and tunes for corvettes.
I am thinking of driving to Calgary in the spring for a tune and minor mods.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Sherminator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please check out our website if you have some time www.davenportmotorsports.com

Bryan

Last edited by Sherminator; 01-01-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Interesting

Yeah, dual mode is getting lots of talk right now.

You may have read this from me before in other posts but I am a very reluctant convert to Corsa Sport. No solenoids or switches to fail, just a very powerful rumble, all the time. Now, you can easily elevate the rumble to a scream, you just have to pick your places.

Not one complaint from my neighbors, just compliments.

Look this isn't another pickup or Civic with a buck-ninety-five piece of pipe bolted on. This car is a statement and is anything but subtle. The sound just works with the car.

BRAD, PM me if you want to hear it. It's in my garage but I fire it up about once every two weeks anyway. Be happy to meet you too.

Dick

Last edited by Dik; 01-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Dik
Instructor

There is a YOUTUBE clip floating around with a yellow Corvette and Corsa Sport exhaust recorded. This is exactly what my car sounds like too. Same color....coincedense?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Hi Sherminator

Originally Posted by Sherminator
Please check out our website if you have some time www.davenportmotorsports.com

Bryan
Interesting. I'll have to stop in to say hi the next time I'm in your fine city!

Dick
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Sherminator
Racer

Originally Posted by Dik
Interesting. I'll have to stop in to say hi the next time I'm in your fine city!

Dick
I've lived in St. Albert, finer city
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dik
Look this isn't another pickup or Civic with a buck-ninety-five piece of pipe bolted on. This car is a statement and is anything but subtle. The sound just works with the car.

Dick

I spent a lot of hours listening to exhaust packages.
Yours does sound great.
I convinced my wife that our vette is more than a racing machine.
It is the classiest vehicle to take to any upscaled event.
Sometimes the stelth mode fits half of the cars split personality.
I also prefer a quiet car when on an extended road trip...and we plan on doing a fair bit of northwest canada trips.
I'm not too concerned with the reliability of the valves and electronics involved in converting my car to NPP exhaust.
I have already bought the Z06 dual mufflers...they are at ABC muffler getting cut open and modified for the full effect of NPP exhaust.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Hold that thought...

I haven't had the opportunity for a very long drive yet and I think you are onto something. Even though I experience no drone with my exhaust the NPP system sounds like a very good idea for a road trip.

I have talked about a road trip to Jasper with my wife but there is a sacrifice to be made; golf clubs or luggage? We could rent sticks but at 6'3", using standard length clubs does nothing for my game.

08, I re-read my last post and I have to apologize for coming across condescending. Definitely not what I intended.

Dick
Old 01-03-2010, 09:51 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dik
I haven't had the opportunity for a very long drive yet and I think you are onto something. Even though I experience no drone with my exhaust the NPP system sounds like a very good idea for a road trip.

I have talked about a road trip to Jasper with my wife but there is a sacrifice to be made; golf clubs or luggage? We could rent sticks but at 6'3", using standard length clubs does nothing for my game.

08, I re-read my last post and I have to apologize for coming across condescending. Definitely not what I intended.

Dick
I can fit 2 sets of clubs (no cart) and luggage in my coupe...with the roof on. I can only fit 1 set of clubs with the roof in the back.

I didn't pick up on the condescending thing...no need to apologize.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Don Wheaton is quickly becoming a better choice with the new anouncement of teaming up with another dealer to create a GM super dealer. Don Wheaton will only do chev cars and vettes.
I guess I will drive down one day soon and talk to the service manager and tour their shop.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Default Try AFI Performance

Really the only reason to go to a dealer is for warranty stuff. I took my 02 to Nicholsons for the column lock thing and they were pretty clueless but for just routine stuff I don't think there is much difference. Edmonton Motors treated me very well with my 03 for warranty stuff. At least I got free washes out of them

http://www.afiperformance.com/
Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Dik
Instructor

Default Hello Nuck

Nice car, very similar to my yellow C6.

Do you get out the St. Albert way very often? I've noticed one other yellow C6 last October in town.

I've never been to E.M. but I have a friend that brings his Caddy to them. He is pretty happy so far.

Being new to the Corvette family I'm going to stick with what I know (very little) and that is a dealership for now. As I mentioned I've had very good workmanship at Westgate. No returns, all the clips replaced, etc. They take care of the details and shuttle me to/from St. Albert with a smile. I can't say that about any other place I been to in the last twenty or so years.

AFI website is (still) pretty skinny so I'll have to stop in to say hi, maybe this Friday?

08; I jut heard the new advertisement on the radio for Don W. They are telling all that they are a Corvette Dealer. Do you know who they partnered with?

Dick

Get notified of new replies

To Edmonton Service

Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Dik: Don W. joined forces with the dealer 1 block east of them South Park
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 AM
SNOTRKT
Advanced

I know of a couple local tuning businesses, Campbell automotive and Horsepower Solutions. Neil at Horsepower knows his tuning well, he runs a mid 9's in the 1/4 ls powerplant. Even does rear wheel dynos. Campbell auto is another big name around here, guys at Mopac tell me nothing but good about them.
The other big name but it's in Calgary is Davenport.

I'm taking my car to Neil at Horsepower once the LS3 is in to get the programming and rear wheel dyno.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks snotrkt.

Quick Reply: Edmonton Service