Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Rip-Off Alert

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Steve-ECP
Former Site Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rip-Off Alert

In Toronto, major refiner/marketers are charging an unbelievable 6.2 cents/litre above the benchmark NYMEX wholesale price of gasoline.

Email the Prime Minister, pm@pm.gc.ca, and tell him he needs to act, NOW!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-ECP
In Toronto, major refiner/marketers are charging an unbelievable 6.2 cents/litre above the benchmark NYMEX wholesale price of gasoline.

Email the Prime Minister, pm@pm.gc.ca, and tell him he needs to act, NOW!
Have have noticed the thieves are weaseling ( yes it is a word ) the price up 1 cent every day for over a week and half now
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Summer Driving season, Everybody raises the price the same amount thursday night and it creeps down a bit by monday....on and on through the summer until we are paying $1.50 litre again
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 AM
JAX93
Advanced

Originally Posted by hwcoop
Summer Driving season, Everybody raises the price the same amount thursday night and it creeps down a bit by monday....on and on through the summer until we are paying $1.50 litre again

That should be great news for Dalton McSleaze. Maybe he'll move up the date to implement the "Horrible Sales Tax" in Ontario. Imagine 8% on $1.50 per litre for gas, (That's .54 Cents a gallon) not to mention home heating fuels and hydro.... how can he resist ?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
The Cripp
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thread should've been titled the "So... what else is new? alert"
Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM
245onQEW

Originally Posted by hwcoop
That's such a bunch of B.S., this 'Summer Driving Season'. Because come October they pull the 'Winter Driving Season' scam.

Re-introduce the NEP and sell to ourselves before the World Market. Get some Venezuela type gas prices going (ok I'm dreaming) or in the very least par with the U.S.. Tell Oil companies that refuse to explore or develop properties that they can 'use it or lose it'. Start pulling licences and putting expiry dates on them, watch how fast they move then.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

That's why I gas up my Vette in the States. I payed around 90 cents Canadian for 92 octane this week. Same gas (both Chevron) is 20 cents more in Vancouver (We've got that stupid carbon tax here in BC). Don't want to support that

Last edited by Indy; 05-12-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 PM
NOT2MELO
Burning Brakes

Same old gas B.S. different year
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM
PRATASEIS
Pro

Stop crying and bring on the horsepower!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't the $1.20 - $1.50 per liter the brick wall that stopped most people from buying trucks and mid sized to large vehicles. Then what happened....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:55 AM
cargo247
Drifting

Gas prices should be set at one price and stay there if the price on the market go,s down they make profit if it goes up we do better, it would off set itself.
We all buy water for 1.25$ and we can get it from the tap, or how about 1.50 for a coffee (hot water and a little flavor, the cup cost more than whats in it) but we don't bit-h about that tell me why.

P.s I do not work for the gas industry but i do drive a vette and its the cost of entertainment.
Todd
Old 05-16-2009, 11:05 AM
islandman
Racer

Originally Posted by cargo247
Gas prices should be set at one price and stay there if the price on the market go,s down they make profit if it goes up we do better, it would off set itself.
We all buy water for 1.25$ and we can get it from the tap, or how about 1.50 for a coffee (hot water and a little flavor, the cup cost more than whats in it) but we don't bit-h about that tell me why.

P.s I do not work for the gas industry but i do drive a vette and its the cost of entertainment.
Todd
first off we don't drink 50 liters of water,we don't drink 75 liters of coffee.....
Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 PM
JAX93
Advanced

Originally Posted by islandman
first off we don't drink 50 liters of water,we don't drink 75 liters of coffee.....
Perfect response !!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:45 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just returned from Ottawa. gas is 6 cents a litre less there.

How can we teach McGuilty a lesson?

DaveL
Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by islandman
You sure about that? I work with people that buy about 7-8 of those Starbucks large or grande or whatever they call them coffee's a day. That's more than 2 litres a day. And that's just what they drink at work. It wouldn't surprise me that globally, we consume more water and coffee than we do fuel.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 05-17-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM
66 milano
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Smiths Falls (an hour from Ottawa) on the long weekend; regular was 82.5 cents a litre, vs. the 94.8 cents a litre in Mississauga. Did somebody say "bend over?"
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
hellotbone
Racer

I sent mine

Please do something to lower gas prices and keep them reasonable it’s about time the government steps in and helps the struggling Canadians! Enough is enough.

Sincerely
Your hard working over taxed middle class worker

Get notified of new replies

To Rip-Off Alert

Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 AM
hellotbone
Racer

I acutally got a reply

On behalf of the Prime Minister, I would like to thank you for your correspondence regarding fuel prices. Your comments are most welcome.

The Government of Canada fully appreciates the effects that fuel and energy prices have on Canadian businesses, families and individuals. While the federal government has no jurisdiction over the direct regulation of energy pricing, it plays a significant role in monitoring the marketplace for fair competition, and has acted by taking available steps to help Canadians reduce their fuel consumption, by cutting taxes and by offering a balanced approach to combatting climate change.

By cutting gas taxes through the decreases in the Goods and Services Tax from seven per cent to five per cent, the Government has reduced the gasoline tax burden on Canadian consumers. You may also wish to note that the Government has been redirecting some of the revenues collected from gasoline taxes to help municipalities repair our aging infrastructure.

By introducing tax credits for public transportation; by investing $2 billion in a renewable fuel program; and by providing $1.5 billion to the provinces and territories to reduce greenhouse gases and smog, the Government has been actively taking steps to reduce demand for gasoline.

Please be assured that your comments regarding fuel and energy prices are appreciated and will be carefully considered.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

blah blah blah to tha tstandard government response. They all get their gas paid for with our taxpayers dollars and ghet free parking, they expense their cab fairs, and get a free TTC Metro pass. And their limo drivers drive them around anyways. What do they care?!

And why is is when the cost of a barrel of oil goes up, the gas goes up, but when it goes down, (which it has been WAY down since last year) the gas price does not?

And why is it that gas in the Toronto area is all the EXACT same price at every brand of gas station? Can you say Collusion??!

Also, gas is actually CHEAPER now in the small towns, where it ALWAYS used to be more expensive. The other week, gas was .90 cents at the Sunoco in Orillia when it was 95 cents here Toronto? How does THAT work?

And I don't buy that "gas is cheaper than water" argument. No, you don't drink 60 liters of water twice a week. (I also don't believe in buying bottled water, but that's another scam altogether. $2 for a bottle of water?!? It comes out of the tap for MUCH cheaper. Fill a bottle with it.

Gas prices are unecessarily high, there's no competition in the market anymore, and the government is making more money because they tax a percentage of the gas prices. it's BS.

As for the Starbucks drinkers, I can't explain them. More money than brains I guess, it's not a bad coffee, but if you're buying several $5 coffees a day, you need to invest in a nice coffee machine at home and a thermos. That would be much more cost efficient. Call me cheap, I call it monetarily frugal!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 AM
fuel-guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real issue is the lack of competition. There are little to zero independants now. The big guys have squeezed them out.

Why would the governement do anything....as the price goes up.....so does the revenue. (GST 5%) 5% of .80 cents per liter is 3.8 cents ..... while 5% of 1.50 is 7.1 cents.

Quick Reply: Rip-Off Alert