Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Importing from US - 'gas tax'

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 AM
zoro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing from US - 'gas tax'

I'm investigating buying a vehicle in the US and importing into Canada(newer Vette is one possibility).
Has anyone imported a Vette since March, 2007 been charged excise tax on a used C5 or C6 based on the fuel economy of the vehicle (gas guzzler tax)?
If so, how much was the charge?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
245onQEW

Originally Posted by zoro
I'm investigating buying a vehicle in the US and importing into Canada(newer Vette is one possibility).
Has anyone imported a Vette since March, 2007 been charged excise tax on a used C5 or C6 based on the fuel economy of the vehicle (gas guzzler tax)?
If so, how much was the charge?
Greetings Scranton Man,

The gas guzzler tax for the moment, is only applicable to Canadian-sold gas guzzlers. I expect this will change given the amount of imports coming in now.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
zoro
Pro

I have been waiting to speak to someone at canada customs and now I have their advice on this.
Any vehicle registered prior to March 20, 2007 is exempt. Gas guzzlers which are passenger vehicles (including SUVs) registered after that date will pay the tax. Pickup trucks are exempt.
All corvettes meet the fuel efficiency standards and are exempt.
I was looking at a jeep srt8--the tax to import is $4,000!
Here is a list of the vehicles and the tax:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whatsnew/items/list_veh-e.pdf
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by zoro
I have been waiting to speak to someone at canada customs and now I have their advice on this.
Any vehicle registered prior to March 20, 2007 is exempt. Gas guzzlers which are passenger vehicles (including SUVs) registered after that date will pay the tax. Pickup trucks are exempt.
All corvettes meet the fuel efficiency standards and are exempt.
I was looking at a jeep srt8--the tax to import is $4,000!
Here is a list of the vehicles and the tax:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whatsnew/items/list_veh-e.pdf
I knew that all C6's were exempt from the guzzler $ but was surprized to see the LS7 churning out 505HP had enough fuel economy to pass under the min 13L/100km hurdle (11.5)..

Last edited by frankmp; 11-08-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Originally Posted by 245onQEW
Greetings Scranton Man,

The gas guzzler tax for the moment, is only applicable to Canadian-sold gas guzzlers. I expect this will change given the amount of imports coming in now.
Are you positive and where can I confirm?? A friend wanted to import in a new 07 AWD TrailblazerSS but when someone told him it's got a $4K guzzler tax hit he decided to look at something else.

When I called up the notice letter in the link within the above link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/etsl64/etsl64-e.pdf

....it seems to clearly state that IMPORTS after Mar 07 also have to pay the piper.

So I assume this tax is collected at time of delivery if bought from CND dealer; so would the imported car guzzler tax be collected at CND customs?????

thanks Frank

Last edited by frankmp; 11-08-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
BUBBAS 01Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gas guzzler tax is only applicable to NEW vehicles !
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
zoro
Pro

Originally Posted by BUBBAS 01Z06
Very useful information, I will be sure to take a copy with me as I cross the border.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Originally Posted by BUBBAS 01Z06

So is it on NEW only purchased in Canada and NEW imported. The .pdf file that explains things does'nt make reference to new vs. used. Can you please point me to where it says this. The phone number at the bottom of the document go's unanswered.............
Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I brought a Tucson AWD across last week and checked to make sure it would not be hit with the gas tax - but I agree the website does not distinguish btn new vs used. I have been waiting 1 week for the cdn customs paperwork so that I can get it registered at the MTO and put permanent plates on it for my wife.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
zoro
Pro

Originally Posted by frankmp
So is it on NEW only purchased in Canada and NEW imported. The .pdf file that explains things does'nt make reference to new vs. used. Can you please point me to where it says this. The phone number at the bottom of the document go's unanswered.............
Why would you rely on that statement? What do you mean by "New"? '08 model year? '07 calendar year? untitled vehicle?
If you are importing a used 2007 vehicle that is on the inefficient list and it is wasn't registered before Mar. 20/07 they will collect excise tax according to the schedule.

Get notified of new replies

To Importing from US - 'gas tax'

Quick Reply: Importing from US - 'gas tax'