Canadian Events Canada, eh?
View Poll Results: What do you think of my repair bill?
You paid too much. Find another shop.
33.33%
Sounds right to me. Plugs and wires are a pain on these cars.
33.33%
You're lucky it didn't cost more.
8.33%
Even though you said you're not interested in DIY, you should DIY.
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Review my C4 repair bill

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:45 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Poll: Review my C4 repair bill

Hi folks. I've had my first repair bill since getting my C4 in December. 1992 C4 coupe has approx. 90000km. I was getting major vibrating upon acceleration. Thought it was an axle bearing or wheel bearing but turned out to be just plugs and wires. Car runs great now!

Anyway, I took it to a reputable shop that I believe is very competent with this type of car. However repair bill was considerably more than I expected. Just wondering what you guys think. Should I search for another shop or is this about what I can expect to shell now that I'm a vette enthusiast?

(Please... DIYers save your breath suggesting I do my own work. I like my stuff to be top shape, I have no talent or time to fix my cars, and frankly my time is better spent doing my own professional work and paying others to do what they do better. I don't even paint my own house.)

Here's my bill:

LABOUR
$69.95 Lube oil filter check levels (includes oil and filter)
$430.00 Check for engine misfire, replace plugs, wires, fuel filter
$45.00 Differential service

PARTS
$18.95 Fuel filter
$61.20 8 spark plugs
$134.50 708 HT Wires
$8.65 Posi additive
$15.90 Gear oil

TOTAL
$802.15 plus taxes
Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Hi folks. I've had my first repair bill since getting my C4 in December. 1992 C4 coupe has approx. 90000km. I was getting major vibrating upon acceleration. Thought it was an axle bearing or wheel bearing but turned out to be just plugs and wires. Car runs great now!

Anyway, I took it to a reputable shop that I believe is very competent with this type of car. However repair bill was considerably more than I expected. Just wondering what you guys think. Should I search for another shop or is this about what I can expect to shell now that I'm a vette enthusiast?

(Please... DIYers save your breath suggesting I do my own work. I like my stuff to be top shape, I have no talent or time to fix my cars, and frankly my time is better spent doing my own professional work and paying others to do what they do better. I don't even paint my own house.)

Here's my bill:

LABOUR

PARTS
$18.95 Fuel filter
$61.20 8 spark plugs
$134.50 708 HT Wires
$8.65 Posi additive
$15.90 Gear oil

TOTAL
$802.15 plus taxes
It's not so much the cost of the parts. It's the labour that kills my work invoice. They bill you for 5 or 6 hours? It's probably a 1 hour minimum charge and would take about 3-4 hours non-stop IMO for 1 person. But then they did have to search for the source of the vibration. So that might add another hour. And I see they didn't charge you a "disposal" fee for the old oil.

Yeah I'd say it's on PAR give or take a few percentage points.

If you knew someone in the biz, and go to them constantly, you develop a relationship with them, they might give you a better break. ie: lower costs on the parts and/or labour rate.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a lot, way too much, 69 bucks for oil change wow, and 430 bucks for wires, plugs and fuel filter wow just wow.

When i used to have my L98 in USA, i used to change all those above right at Autozone parking lot, they know me and allow me to do over there.

Ur 92 LT1 is little pain to change plugs and wires but still thats a lot.

For differential fluid i could not do it on parking lot, so i took to mechanic and they did it for me 20 bucks just labor, which it was ok.

Well feel sorry for that exxxtra bill. Enjoy the vette.

Edit: I just bought a 97 nissan maxima, and changed spark plugs, fuel filter, Reset IAC and TPS, and Air filter right at canadian tire parking lot, since i live in apt and dont have garage.

Last edited by sami85L98; 08-11-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Thats a lot, way too much, 69 bucks for oil change wow, and 430 bucks for wires, plugs and fuel filter wow just wow.
$70 for 5-6 litres of synthetic oil plus the filter is not out of the ordinary. The labour was $430 for everything else. Plugs and wires was $175.70. As I said earlier, about a 5 hour job for 1 tech works out to $86/hr. The costs of the parts is not out of line. It's the labour that kills.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 08-11-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
LT1vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buy a Porsche

Originally Posted by monstrocity

How did it go from a wheel bearing to spark plugs???? You're right, you are not a DIY guy...

You'll be looking for a 'new" shop for sure if they see this posting!!! What you are insinuating by this posting is THAT this shop is not reputable!!
Take it to the dealer, GM is reputable..... Then get back to me on how much it cost for the same service. The "door fee" in most GM shops is $100+

Here's my bill:

LABOUR

PARTS
$18.95 Fuel filter
$61.20 8 spark plugs
$134.50 708 HT Wires
$8.65 Posi additive
$15.90 Gear oil

TOTAL
$802.15 plus taxes
That would have cost you at least $100 -$200 more if you had gone to the dealer.........
You should try changing plugs for a start and then change the wires on an LT1 with air. You need to be a doulble jointed short person with a 36" sleeve with baby size hands and 20" biceps to feed the wires and reach the plugs. Three hours labour to do that is "not enough"

You got a good deal, time to get in touch with reality!!!!! You could buy a Porsche........ then watch for sticker shock.
You should have discussed this with the shop owner (I notice no name was given) instead of airing your "dirty laundry" here
Old 05-06-2014, 12:42 PM
stock1992
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my plugs on my 1992 and it took 2 1/2 hrs. I had to remove the throttle cable unit and the wheel well liner. Tough on the back. I still think that was somewhat high.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I think it's fairly reasonable. Changing out the plugs and wires on a C4 is a no fun job. There might have been a little "aggravation" tax on that but the guy probably deserved it and if everything was done right, you did OK.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

7 year old thread. Wow, thought this would have been archived years ago. Thing is, I remember this like it was a few days ago. Now that's scary.

IBTL.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

If these prices are 7 years old he got raped. I pay 100 for a oil change in 2014.

Get notified of new replies

To Poll: Review my C4 repair bill

Quick Reply: Poll: Review my C4 repair bill