Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Garage Reno...planning begins

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:04 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Garage Reno...planning begins

Hey guys, really need your help.. I'm starting a garage reno and Im looking for local options of flooring and cabinets. Does anybody know of a place that sells either product or have you used any yourself? For flooring I'm looking at something high end as my last house, I painted the floors and it looked ok...but not great. the two flooring options I'm looking at right now are in the below picture (still trying to find out what this stuff is and also looking at RACEDECK

For the cabinets I want to go wall to wall floor to ceiling across the back of the garage wall (double) similar to the below picture as well.. looking for really clean lines.. any help is appreciated.

Also looking for a place that sells diamond plate as I want to do a border on the lower part of the walls with it

Old 09-05-2005, 10:23 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Steve, do you plan to heat it? If not, I would consider it. My garage is well insulated and heated, and it is a very nice feature to have. The floor in that picture looks really nice, I wonder what it is.....you also can't forget lighting, I see so many garages that are under lit. the garage in that pic should have close to 3 times the lighting in it...I am qualified to make that statement as I am an electrician, which leads me to my next point, get some power in there,fed from a local panel in the garage. Get phone and data lines out there. Home Depot carries Mills Pride cabinets that are affordable, check this out:
http://www.millspride.com/selectroom/garage.cfm
Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

The garage in 'Ferris Buller's day off' appeals to me. All glass walls, 25 feet off the ground the back...nice view! Don't forget room for a couch, fridge and plasma screen!

http://www.ultimategarage.com

Last edited by JETZ; 09-06-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JETZ
The garage in 'Ferris Buller's day off' appeals to me. All glass walls, 25 feet off the ground the back...nice view! Don't forget room for a couch, fridge and plasma screen!

you just want to launch your vette and claim the insurance.

my son & I will start ou garage project next weekend so we'll keep each other informed as to what products we have found, prices etc.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Cyndi76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
For flooring I'm looking at something high end as my last house, I painted the floors and it looked ok...but not great. the two flooring options I'm looking at right now are in the below picture (still trying to find out what this stuff is
Not sure what it's called but it looks a lot like that concrete stuff I've seen in CDN Tire commercials. I saw Mike Holmes, Holmes on Homes, use it in someone's kitchen....I think it's a 3 step process but looks awesome when finished...it can be used indoors or outdoors for patios and sidewalks and stuff....very durable. You can either just leave it plain, or you can make it look like tile by simply making the impressions of the lines. We're going to use it in the basement when we start that project soon.

So.....making room for my car????
Old 09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
99Red&White
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I must agree, a heated garage is nice. I have a 220 service running into the garage to power one of those shop industrial heaters. As well, the garage is insulated. I have a TV/DVD player out there, stereo system and wireless internet. And of course, you cannot forget the fridge! I got my white cabinets from Rona, they had a good selection there.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Steve, do you plan to heat it? If not, I would consider it. My garage is well insulated and heated, and it is a very nice feature to have. The floor in that picture looks really nice, I wonder what it is.....you also can't forget lighting, I see so many garages that are under lit. the garage in that pic should have close to 3 times the lighting in it...I am qualified to make that statement as I am an electrician, which leads me to my next point, get some power in there,fed from a local panel in the garage. Get phone and data lines out there. Home Depot carries Mills Pride cabinets that are affordable, check this out:
http://www.millspride.com/selectroom/garage.cfm
I would love to heat it but how do I do that without extensive wiring? The walls are insulated and I will do the doors, hopefully that will help. I have the single overhead light right now which is just a bulb, can I install a couple flourescent sp* lights and run them from the same wiring? I have wireless phones and highspeed so thats taken care of.
Originally Posted by JETZ

hehe...I think I'll go for the garage look and not the living room like the rich and famous.. how nice would that be
Originally Posted by gdh
my son & I will start ou garage project next weekend so we'll keep each other informed as to what products we have found, prices etc.
let me know what you have planned and what you find. Thanks
Originally Posted by Cyndi76
So.....making room for my car????
I am going to be looking into a lift so.....maybe Also I saw that stuff you were talking about and I thinks similar in looks but I know its a different product. I will keep you informed if I find this stuff out as it goes in and dries in one day with a single step.
Originally Posted by 99Red&White
I must agree, a heated garage is nice. I have a 220 service running into the garage to power one of those shop industrial heaters. As well, the garage is insulated. I have a TV/DVD player out there, stereo system and wireless internet. And of course, you cannot forget the fridge! I got my white cabinets from Rona, they had a good selection there.
Sounds like a great set up Jay... got pics?

Last edited by GettReal; 09-06-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
99Red&White
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I will take some pics tonight and post them. I have added quite a bit to the garage since the last pics I posted almost a year ago. On a side note. I used the BEHR epoxy garage floor paint, and after a year almost, its still holding up strong!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:33 AM
-=Iron Mike=-
Race Director

I have yet to finish mine in our current house but if you are not heating the garage be wary of the flourescent lights, the ballasts do not always operate right when they are cold and can flicker quite a bit.

If you can keep the room above freezing you shouldn't have too much trouble with them though.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Originally Posted by -=Iron Mike=-
I have yet to finish mine in our current house but if you are not heating the garage be wary of the flourescent lights, the ballasts do not always operate right when they are cold and can flicker quite a bit.

If you can keep the room above freezing you shouldn't have too much trouble with them though.
Cdn tire puts the "Cold Start" flourescents on sale a couple times a year, they work great.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Cyndi76
Instructor

I am going to be looking into a lift so.....maybe Also I saw that stuff you were talking about and I thinks similar in looks but I know its a different product. I will keep you informed if I find this stuff out as it goes in and dries in one day with a single step.
I hope to sell it WAY before then....I don't want to have it by the time winter comes....Definitely let me know about the other stuff, one step would be brilliant! Have a hard enough time getting the Mr. to do one step never mind 3!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Redmenace
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=GettReal]Hey guys, really need your help.. I'm starting a garage reno and Im looking for local options of flooring and cabinets. Does anybody know of a place that sells either product or have you used any yourself? For flooring I'm looking at something high end as my last house, I painted the floors and it looked ok...but not great. the two flooring options I'm looking at right now are in the below picture (still trying to find out what this stuff is and also looking at RACEDECK
QUOTE]

That's the coating from Premier Garage http://www.premiergarage.com/html/flooring.html
Old 09-08-2005, 12:02 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Redmenace]
Hey guys, really need your help.. I'm starting a garage reno and Im looking for local options of flooring and cabinets. Does anybody know of a place that sells either product or have you used any yourself? For flooring I'm looking at something high end as my last house, I painted the floors and it looked ok...but not great. the two flooring options I'm looking at right now are in the below picture (still trying to find out what this stuff is and also looking at RACEDECK
QUOTE]

That's the coating from Premier Garage http://www.premiergarage.com/html/flooring.html
Thanks for the heads up. I actually found that today and emailed them. They replied and said the only dealer they have in Canada is in Alberta, so I cant get it But thats the exact look I want
Old 09-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up. I actually found that today and emailed them. They replied and said the only dealer they have in Canada is in Alberta, so I cant get it But thats the exact look I want
Can't it be shipped??
Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bishs
Can't it be shipped??
I asked that and here is their reply

"Sorry, but we are unable to ship any of our floor product to you. It is a very involved process and therefore is an installed product only.
Sorry I could not be of more help. You might be able to check with a
concrete company and see what kind of floor product they can offer. I
guess until there is a Premier in Ontario that is the best alternative I
could offer."
Old 09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Bilyk
Drifting

Pop over to www.garagejunkies.net

Say hi if you see me there
Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I would love to heat it but how do I do that without extensive wiring? The walls are insulated and I will do the doors, hopefully that will help. I have the single overhead light right now which is just a bulb, can I install a couple flourescent sp* lights and run them from the same wiring? I have wireless phones and highspeed so thats taken care of.
To heat it electrically, you will need to have two side by side free spaces in your electrical panel, that will get you 240volts for the garage. The wire gauge and breaker size you use will depend on the size(watts) of heater you choose. I have a fan-forced 4000w heater that is built into the wall, the kind of heater you see in entrances of buildings, it doesn't take up any floor space being built in. To figure out current (amps) draw, you divide power(watts) by voltage: in my case 4000w divided by 240v = 16.6 amps, which means a 20amp breaker and 12 gauge wire. 14 gauge is good for 15 amps, and 10gauge is good for 30amps. It is not a hard job to do, the hardest part will be getting the wire out to the garage,especially if your basement has a finished area where the wire will have to pass through.

As for the lights, without measuring the load on your existing light circuit, I can't tell you how many flourescent lights you can use. Most garages have a double 15amp breaker feeding the garage, half for the central vac, and the other half for lights and receptacles. If that is the case, if you have a double car garage, I would suggest a minimum of 9, 4 foot,2-lamp T5 or T8 (high output) fixtures. They are brighter and use less energy. You will be very happy, and wonder how you worked in there without them! My 1 1/2 garage has 6 of them. Here are some pics of my garage, a real man's garage, none of those girlie cabinets!!

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Reno...planning begins

Old 09-08-2005, 10:40 PM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

... Here are some pics of my garage, a real man's garage, none of those girlie cabinets!!
If by that you mean cluttered, then that works!! but you gotta love that calender!!

BTW Bruce, I looked for your centre caps in Carlisle and was told by a number of vendors that American Racing would not cough up the doe to GM for emblem rights so if you do find a set with Vette emblems, they're illegal

Steve, here are some pics of my playpen. When I couldn't find cabinets to fit the spaces I need them in, I just built them out of white press board. The floor is procelain so it resists the cold and water and cleans up like a charm...a bit slippery when wet though.

I installed a 40,000 BTU Hot Dawg gas heater suspened from the ceiling...very inexpensive to run and heats the place up in less than 30 minutes from a stone cold start of 0 degrees Centigrade and had it professionally installed by a gas guy and hook up an electrical supply direct to the box. I also put in a drop ceiling and wired 3 double flourescent fixtures right off the existing wire...work like a charm once the heat is on.

If you're around this weekend, swing by and take a look in person...I'm just off Ford Drive not too far from the Timmies we meet at.

Last edited by 4GTABODT; 09-08-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4GTABODT
If by that you mean cluttered, then that works!! BTW Bruce, I looked for your centre caps in Carlisle and was told by a number of vendors that American Racing would not cough up the doe to GM for emblem rights so if you do find a set with Vette emblems, they're illegal
Hey, its an organized clutter! Thanks anyways for looking for the caps. I have seen them in the past, but they weren't made by AR. I guess I will keep trying Ebay!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Hey, its an organized clutter! ...
Just razzing ya buddy...place looks great. I especially like the night shot with the car's outline pearing out at you...looks mean!!

May come to Dyno day but gotta admit I didn't have a good experience the last time I put it on the Dyno...and with all the waiver forms you have to sign it's a bit of a scary proposition...but I will definately think about it....

Quick Reply: Garage Reno...planning begins