Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06 Track Day @ Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 09:24 AM
Vrrooom
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Z06 Track Day @ Summit Point

My '24 Z06 just hit 1500 miles last week and I celebrated the full break-in procedure by taking it to Summit Point on 4/11. I've been to this track before in different vehicles, but this was my first time running it in my Z06- and clearly my first track day in this car.

Track Prep included an oil change, brake fluid swap to SRF, added the rear brake ducts, removed the front gurney flap (per guide for stock painted front spoiler) and swapped brake pads to GP40 front and rear. I had lowered the car about 1/2" (for aesthetics) and so at that time I had an alignment to track caster/toe spec, but stock camber at -1.5. I can certainly see a need for more negative camber.

My impressions-

Handling- This car is a monster on the track. For essentially an all stock setup, it was fast. I ran 3 sessions all on PTM Sport and was able to improve my times 1.21s at Summit Main which I think is decent. The car was very neutral , turned in well under light trail braking, was predictable on throttle lift, and when the rear wanted to come out, it was predictable and smooth. I'm sure PTM helped me keep things in check. Even with no throttle or brake, the car just grips. There were some turns that the grip was so high that it was more fear keeping the speed off as opposed to any tire squeal or the car letting go. I was on track with several cars (granted with lower hp) but with aggressive suspension, alignment and sticky tires and the Z06 had no problem keeping right with them through the turns.

Brakes- I swapped pads to GP40 hoping for it to last much longer than stock pads and provide great bite and resist any fade. It is showing minimal wear after the 3 20-min sessions at Summit. I had an issue with them- even after burnishing them prior to the track and taking it easy on the first couple laps, as the session progressed I developed some pad build up and brake shudder. Which also saps your confidence a bit into the turns. Another thing about the brakes is the pedal feel is inconsistent. Putting what felt like the same pressure into the turns seemed to yield different brake output and I had to add/decrease pressure while hard braking. I doubt it was caused by overheating given the pad and fluid swap. Not sure how to prevent this for future track days.

Engine/Transmission- This car is solid on the track. Running for 20 mins straight each session at WOT, the temps didn't get higher than 190. It sounded amazing, had excellent power, and felt right at home. I was shifting manually to keep gears predictable, and as noted by others, the 2-3 shift had a big power cut. Especially turn 1-2. There is some steering angle and throttle through this and I think its just the car trying to make sure I don't kill it or myself.

PTM/Diff- This is an interesting area that I'm not sure what to think of it. This car doesn't seem to like early throttle. I felt you really needed this thing to be well past the turn and pretty much no steering angle before getting into the throttle as this caused the car to really push wide. It could be that PTM was in Sport and I need to back off the nannies, but I didn't see or feel an obvious intrusion. It felt like the e-diff locking forcing it wide. I would have loved to get on throttle a lot earlier and more aggressively but I felt anytime I started going in this direction the car wanted to push wide.

Here are 2 decent laps- one was catching up to a Cayman and the 2nd lap was my fastest of the day. Open to 'instruction' from those that track the Z06s.

The following 14 users liked this post by Vrrooom:
23/C8Z (04-28-2024), blackbirdws6 (04-19-2024), c7gsmike (04-19-2024), chrismillion (04-28-2024), dakotagoon (04-19-2024), gtrguy (04-19-2024), PHILLIP YOUNG (04-28-2024), PRE-Z06 (04-28-2024), racerx8 (04-29-2024), Racingswh (04-19-2024), Ragtop 99 (04-19-2024), RapidC84B (04-29-2024), robob (04-19-2024), Wikdstrate (04-19-2024) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Thanks for sharing this! Car looks fantastic!!

I have old and slow, junky cars but I have a lap or two there. I would start the T3 approach as far right as you can and then roll as much speed through there as possible. Starting further left just reduces the speed you can carry, especially at entry.

I would reduce nanny intervention. You drive well and you don't need them to be as intrusive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racingswh:
Vrrooom (04-19-2024), ZRacerLE (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 12:22 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Great review. Try PTM Race next.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:53 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks for the video and write up… good stuff
Old 04-28-2024, 07:07 PM
Vrrooom
Racer

Thanks for the positive feedback!

This week I had an opportunity to go to Watkins Glen. My first time out there- it is a fantastic track! Had a great time. This is a serious facility and everything about it feels so much more special than Summit.

I ran 4 sessions with a best of 2.07.3. I encountered a lot of traffic and so I could only get a handful of full laps.

Lesson from this track day- when you drive to a track 6 hours away, and run 3 sessions and drive back 6 hours- 32gb SD cards will overwrite all your sessions! I’m really disappointed about this.

Luckily, 1 shorter session at the end of the day had open lapping and so I took a buddy for a ride along. This ended up being a 2.09.9. See video-

Old 04-28-2024, 07:41 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Nice laps.

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
It could be that PTM was in Sport and I need to back off the nannies, but I didn't see or feel an obvious intrusion.
The Stabilitrak was kicking in a couple of times there. Go back and re-watch, specially around 10 the first time and another corner on the second lap. You are getting enough slip in there a couple of times that the Stabilitrak needs to cut in. Use the Stabilitrak as an instructor and learn where you might need to be a bit more careful, before turning it off. Lots of folks on CF are pretty aggressive about disabling the Stabilitrak on their Corvettes, but don't be in a hurry to. You don't win when you goof up and put 4 off.

An earlier comment about turn 3 is spot on. I'm not comfortable with the brake tap once you crest the hill heading down around turn 4. Breathe off the throttle slightly instead just as the car heaves itself over that little crest, and it'll settle right down for you. Don't even think about touching the brakes until the entry of 5. You also cut the exit of turn 5 to set up for the entry to 6. That's certainly one way to do it, but another is to use all the black stuff at the exit of turn 5 and let that carry you towards turn-in on 6. But that's up to you.
The following users liked this post:
ZRacerLE (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:29 PM
Vrrooom
Racer

Originally Posted by jvp
Nice laps.

The Stabilitrak was kicking in a couple of times there. Go back and re-watch, specially around 10 the first time and another corner on the second lap. You are getting enough slip in there a couple of times that the Stabilitrak needs to cut in. Use the Stabilitrak as an instructor and learn where you might need to be a bit more careful, before turning it off. Lots of folks on CF are pretty aggressive about disabling the Stabilitrak on their Corvettes, but don't be in a hurry to. You don't win when you goof up and put 4 off.

An earlier comment about turn 3 is spot on. I'm not comfortable with the brake tap once you crest the hill heading down around turn 4. Breathe off the throttle slightly instead just as the car heaves itself over that little crest, and it'll settle right down for you. Don't even think about touching the brakes until the entry of 5. You also cut the exit of turn 5 to set up for the entry to 6. That's certainly one way to do it, but another is to use all the black stuff at the exit of turn 5 and let that carry you towards turn-in on 6. But that's up to you.
Thanks for the feedback. I hit the brakes a bit before turn 4 to reduce the speed a little. In previous cars I would ease off the gas but not sure if the car can carry more speed there. What mph are you carrying through turn 4?

In regards to 6- are you saying stay right into entry of 6 and cut it tighter? Or just use more of turn 5 before setting up for 6?
Old 04-28-2024, 08:37 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

What mph are you carrying through turn 4?
I don't currently drive a Corvette. Former Corvettes (C7, C6s, C5, C4) I was kissing if not a MPH or two over 100 around 4. You're almost there. Just keep your foot on the accelerator, but obviously don't pin it. ;-) You want to keep the mass over the *** for that turn and the throttle does just that.

In regards to 6- are you saying stay right into entry of 6 and cut it tighter? Or just use more of turn 5 before setting up for 6?
I use more of turn 5's exit so I'm further towards the right hand side of the track, then cut diagonally across to set up for a late apex for turn 6. Again, that's a personal preference. Give it a try; I bet you'll be fighting with the car less around 5 and the turn-in for 6 will seem a bit smoother.
Vrrooom (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:07 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Nice job at WG. Wonderful place. Look how different the entrance to the bus stop is now. They put the pointy turtles in the way. Curious to see how much lap times suffer from that addition. Looks like you had amazing weather. It's the kind of place that makes you want to go back.

I am not a fan of nannies but I do use them. This is not my car so I have them on. I just do not like an overabundance of interference from nannies. When I see the squiggly lines in the videos I see unnecessary interference with your laps. If you were a mess I wouldn't tell you to turn them down. That's the beauty of PDR with data. I find videos that do not have data are next to worthless. I can see your throttle and brake application as well as steering angle. Just nice, reasonably smooth inputs. Nothing crazy abrupt. I can definitely work with that. I am guessing I could get you in the sub 2:05 range in just 1 session even with me as a passenger. Minimal nannies required.

Stock power 1LZ C7Z with aero. DSC controller and Pirelli scrubs. PTM settings - Sport 2 / Track

At Summit I do not have whatever it takes mentally to roll into 4 without touching the brakes. I am scared I will wind up in the tire wall on the left. 125 mph when I press the brakes after T3, 106 MPH at the apex of 4. PTM settings - Race / Track

Stock power and suspension 1LZ C7Z on scrubs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Racingswh:
Vrrooom (04-30-2024), ZRacerLE (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:55 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 55 Posts

My '24 Z06 just hit 1500 miles last week and I celebrated the full break-in procedure by taking it to Summit Point on 4/11. I've been to this track before in different vehicles, but this was my first time running it in my Z06- and clearly my first track day in this car.

Track Prep included an oil change, brake fluid swap to SRF, added the rear brake ducts, removed the front gurney flap (per guide for stock painted front spoiler) and swapped brake pads to GP40 front and rear. I had lowered the car about 1/2" (for aesthetics) and so at that time I had an alignment to track caster/toe spec, but stock camber at -1.5. I can certainly see a need for more negative camber.

My impressions-

Handling- This car is a monster on the track. For essentially an all stock setup, it was fast. I ran 3 sessions all on PTM Sport and was able to improve my times 1.21s at Summit Main which I think is decent. The car was very neutral , turned in well under light trail braking, was predictable on throttle lift, and when the rear wanted to come out, it was predictable and smooth. I'm sure PTM helped me keep things in check. Even with no throttle or brake, the car just grips. There were some turns that the grip was so high that it was more fear keeping the speed off as opposed to any tire squeal or the car letting go. I was on track with several cars (granted with lower hp) but with aggressive suspension, alignment and sticky tires and the Z06 had no problem keeping right with them through the turns.

Brakes- I swapped pads to GP40 hoping for it to last much longer than stock pads and provide great bite and resist any fade. It is showing minimal wear after the 3 20-min sessions at Summit. I had an issue with them- even after burnishing them prior to the track and taking it easy on the first couple laps, as the session progressed I developed some pad build up and brake shudder. Which also saps your confidence a bit into the turns. Another thing about the brakes is the pedal feel is inconsistent. Putting what felt like the same pressure into the turns seemed to yield different brake output and I had to add/decrease pressure while hard braking. I doubt it was caused by overheating given the pad and fluid swap. Not sure how to prevent this for future track days.

Engine/Transmission- This car is solid on the track. Running for 20 mins straight each session at WOT, the temps didn't get higher than 190. It sounded amazing, had excellent power, and felt right at home. I was shifting manually to keep gears predictable, and as noted by others, the 2-3 shift had a big power cut. Especially turn 1-2. There is some steering angle and throttle through this and I think its just the car trying to make sure I don't kill it or myself.

PTM/Diff- This is an interesting area that I'm not sure what to think of it. This car doesn't seem to like early throttle. I felt you really needed this thing to be well past the turn and pretty much no steering angle before getting into the throttle as this caused the car to really push wide. It could be that PTM was in Sport and I need to back off the nannies, but I didn't see or feel an obvious intrusion. It felt like the e-diff locking forcing it wide. I would have loved to get on throttle a lot earlier and more aggressively but I felt anytime I started going in this direction the car wanted to push wide.

Here are 2 decent laps- one was catching up to a Cayman and the 2nd lap was my fastest of the day. Open to 'instruction' from those that track the Z06s.

https://youtu.be/7aLQ1S2FN7I?si=PKaS_BFEamCDWINb
pretty awesome! 2 questions, which tires were you running? Trying to find a good rim/wheels option, looking for non-slicks as I drive in street as well. 2nd, which tow hook are you using?

I have heard from a few people about the brakes, they stated they don’t like the “brake by cable” setup that GM, that it lacks feel

Last edited by Aku700; 04-29-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Even in RACE2 I still had the big 1-2 cut coming out of T1 at VIR which is very similar to T1 at SP. Something in the algorithm doesn't like that power application in that specific scenario. Manually shifting it at slightly less RPM worked better for me. Next time out I plan to try everything off and leaving it in auto to see what it does.

I had zero issues w/ the stock brake pads juddering or doing anything strange. Until I start out braking the OEM pads I'll keep running them.
Vrrooom (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:08 PM
Vrrooom
Racer

Originally Posted by Aku700
pretty awesome! 2 questions, which tires were you running? Trying to find a good rim/wheels option, looking for non-slicks as I drive in street as well. 2nd, which tow hook are you using?

I have heard from a few people about the brakes, they stated they don’t like the “brake by cable” setup that GM, that it lacks feel
Stock tires- PS4S. Tow hooks are from ZL1AddOns
Old 04-29-2024, 10:12 PM
Vrrooom
Racer

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Even in RACE2 I still had the big 1-2 cut coming out of T1 at VIR which is very similar to T1 at SP. Something in the algorithm doesn't like that power application in that specific scenario. Manually shifting it at slightly less RPM worked better for me. Next time out I plan to try everything off and leaving it in auto to see what it does.

I had zero issues w/ the stock brake pads juddering or doing anything strange. Until I start out braking the OEM pads I'll keep running them.
I may try Race 1 next time at Summit to see the difference. I like the safety net of Sport and not trying to extract every bit out of it.

On the note of pads- Girodisc said they have some occasional cases of pad smearing on new pads. To clean off with street use and re-bed. I did just that and had 0 issues- smooth and excellent results. My main reason for switching is the wear rate of stock pads. With 4 full sessions at Summit and 4 at WGI, which seemed much harsher on the brakes, they performed well and I don’t have any noticeable wear.
RapidC84B (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 10:02 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Clean off w/ street use as in just drive around for a bit? How long? I was able to get two VIR weekends out of my front pads and 5K miles on the street including a trip to tail of the dragon for four days. Have been able to buy sets used online from folks swapping to ceramics. LMK how the Giros end up doing. Are they streetable? Do they squeal cold? I put some Cobalts on my Stingray and the car was undrivable on the street. Usually I run Carbotechs and they make a lot of dust but are tolerable on the street, but they made their rear pad shape wrong for the Z51 and the owner was an idiot about it.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:47 AM
Vrrooom
Racer

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Clean off w/ street use as in just drive around for a bit? How long? I was able to get two VIR weekends out of my front pads and 5K miles on the street including a trip to tail of the dragon for four days. Have been able to buy sets used online from folks swapping to ceramics. LMK how the Giros end up doing. Are they streetable? Do they squeal cold? I put some Cobalts on my Stingray and the car was undrivable on the street. Usually I run Carbotechs and they make a lot of dust but are tolerable on the street, but they made their rear pad shape wrong for the Z51 and the owner was an idiot about it.
The pads rotors were perfectly smooth after about 50 miles. Cold stops smoothened out any of the build up.

They are very streetable. I kept my stock pads with the intent of swapping if needed, but I’ve driven about 1000 street miles on the GP40 and they are excellent. Don’t notice any difference in braking when cold- haven’t done an emergency stop. They squeal a little at a very low speed but I only hear it with the windows down. With them up I don’t hear any squealing. I have the satin graphite wheels and their brake dust is a similar color as well. I plan to just drive around with them all the time.

As mentioned the track performance is great- clearly out brake the stock tires, repeatable, 0 fade, etc. and best thing is wear. Have 4 hard sessions at Summit and 4 30 min at WGI. Full brakes from 152 down at turn 1 summit and back straight to the bus stop at WGI. The downhill braking to turn 1 there is also harsh on the brakes. I measured them to be 11mm new and they’re currently about 10.7 front and 10.6 rear.

Especially excellent for driving distance to tracks and not worrying about needing anything. Arrive and drive.

Pic of pad and rotor as of now. Little rush on pad from washing the car and getting rust on rotors from letting it sit.

RapidC84B (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 11:52 AM
Aku700
Instructor

The pads rotors were perfectly smooth after about 50 miles. Cold stops smoothened out any of the build up.

They are very streetable. I kept my stock pads with the intent of swapping if needed, but I’ve driven about 1000 street miles on the GP40 and they are excellent. Don’t notice any difference in braking when cold- haven’t done an emergency stop. They squeal a little at a very low speed but I only hear it with the windows down. With them up I don’t hear any squealing. I have the satin graphite wheels and their brake dust is a similar color as well. I plan to just drive around with them all the time.

As mentioned the track performance is great- clearly out brake the stock tires, repeatable, 0 fade, etc. and best thing is wear. Have 4 hard sessions at Summit and 4 30 min at WGI. Full brakes from 152 down at turn 1 summit and back straight to the bus stop at WGI. The downhill braking to turn 1 there is also harsh on the brakes. I measured them to be 11mm new and they’re currently about 10.7 front and 10.6 rear.

Especially excellent for driving distance to tracks and not worrying about needing anything. Arrive and drive.

Pic of pad and rotor as of now. Little rush on pad from washing the car and getting rust on rotors from letting it sit.

How are you measuring the pad thickness? Very precise measurements there
Old 04-30-2024, 11:57 AM
Vrrooom
Racer

How are you measuring the pad thickness? Very precise measurements there
I bought this tool from Amazon that allows to check with 6mm adjustment for the backing plate, which is what I measured the GP40 plate to be as well before installing it. It goes 0.5mm increments, so the 10.6 is because it’s a little more than 10.5. And the 10.7 because a little more- half way to 11. But take that with a grain of salt as it only shows 0.5mm increments.

https://a.co/d/81puHML
Old 04-30-2024, 12:02 PM
Aku700
Instructor

I bought this tool from Amazon that allows to check with 6mm adjustment for the backing plate, which is what I measured the GP40 plate to be as well before installing it. It goes 0.5mm increments, so the 10.6 is because it’s a little more than 10.5. And the 10.7 because a little more- half way to 11. But take that with a grain of salt as it only shows 0.5mm increments.

https://a.co/d/81puHML
Thx
Old 04-30-2024, 12:03 PM
Vrrooom
Racer

Thx
I copied the link from my Amazon app. Here’s a screenshot if you want to search for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Track Day @ Summit Point

Quick Reply: Z06 Track Day @ Summit Point