Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Parking Your Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 06:58 AM
Gang Green
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Parking Your Z06

Howdy Fellas! I was just curious about your approach to parking your car in public? Your do's & don'ts as it relates to leaving your car behind...

I ask because next Saturday, Im finally back in town and able to pick up my car from MM. I figured Ill make a day out of it (since my wife will be by my side) and drive it straight up to Lake George from the dealer, spend the night at a hotel and drive home to Long Island Sunday morning. That way Ill get some nice driving experience getting to know the car - put some break-in in miles on her (456 total) and enjoy the beauty of the Adirondack's. When I was sharing the plan with my wife she asked "you're gonna park that thing in the hotel parking lot?" I was taken aback a little and asked should I rethink that? Those of you that know Lake George, its a nice quiet area (especially in early spring) no rowdy crowd, there aren't many top tier hotels in the area (we're probably going to stay at the Holiday Inn which is a 4 star in the area) but now it's in my head...I've owned 2 other Z's in the past - no parking issues but certainly this is the most expensive out of the group and now she has me 2nd guessing.

Help me out here guys - Am I over thinking this? What would you do?

Popular Reply

03-27-2024, 08:07 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 54 Posts

Sadly, I’ve come to realize that people just suck!!!! Last week, I was in front yard and I noticed something odd, on my wife’s brand new bmw, someone door dinged her car so hard, it took out about 4mm of paint and it was right on the crease, they hit it so hard, you can see it warped the metal a bit. Few months ago, took my Porsche GT4, parked my car across to parking lot, not a car within 100ft+, when I was done with my golf round, some pathetic jack *** parked his car 1 foot from my drivers door, I had to get in on other side. Lots and lots of stories of too many *** wipes out there.

If you gonna park in public areas, park at end spots as close as u can to curb, I would also have PPF on the car, especially the doors, that’s a requirement!!! Too many people out there think your the root cause of their failure to make it, their jealousy, think your the guy that doesn’t pay your fair share, etc, all these reasons for them to take it out on you. End of the day, just always remember people suck.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:05 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Pick a good hotel.

My sister used to manage a hotel years ago and they even have signs in the parking lot that says, "not responsible for damaged property".

So you're basically parking at your own risk. She said in the 3 years she worked there, there were at least 1 break in/car stolen once per month. This was a while ago so who knows what hotels implement now in terms of security.

I think you should be fine. What color is your z06? A bright color will catch the wrong eyes if someone is just skimming through the parking lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z0HS1CK:
Gang Green (03-27-2024), Q Pilot (03-28-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:09 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,302 Likes on 531 Posts

You are probably overthinking it. Try your best to park in an isolated spot if possible. If not, second preference would be an end spot so cutting the fear/ chance of door dings in half. Otherwise, enjoy the car and make ownership a pleasure, not a worry. Yes, it is a Z06, but to 90% of the general population, its "just another corvette".
The following 2 users liked this post by ChevyChad:
Gang Green (03-27-2024), Glennm27 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:33 AM
jswatek
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

I've wondered if a cover would help or hurt? Would a cover attract attention or defect it?
Old 03-27-2024, 07:36 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,869 Likes on 4,272 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I tend to park all my cars in end spots whenever possible & that's about all I worry about. It's just a car
The following 4 users liked this post by JABCAT:
416vette (03-27-2024), Gang Green (03-27-2024), newchevyman (03-27-2024), saleen556 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I tend to park all my cars in end spots whenever possible & that's about all I worry about. It's just a car
Agreed 👍🏻
Old 03-27-2024, 07:56 AM
XXXX
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Use a black car cover or park it in a gated garage and uber to the hotel.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:59 AM
Z06-MAN
Racer

Received 676 Likes on 225 Posts

Stay at the Sagamore Hotel, no problems there its a well guarded parking lot and fantastic place!
The following 3 users liked this post by Z06-MAN:
Gang Green (03-27-2024), JerriVette (03-27-2024), NakedDave (03-28-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:07 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Sadly, I’ve come to realize that people just suck!!!! Last week, I was in front yard and I noticed something odd, on my wife’s brand new bmw, someone door dinged her car so hard, it took out about 4mm of paint and it was right on the crease, they hit it so hard, you can see it warped the metal a bit. Few months ago, took my Porsche GT4, parked my car across to parking lot, not a car within 100ft+, when I was done with my golf round, some pathetic jack *** parked his car 1 foot from my drivers door, I had to get in on other side. Lots and lots of stories of too many *** wipes out there.

If you gonna park in public areas, park at end spots as close as u can to curb, I would also have PPF on the car, especially the doors, that’s a requirement!!! Too many people out there think your the root cause of their failure to make it, their jealousy, think your the guy that doesn’t pay your fair share, etc, all these reasons for them to take it out on you. End of the day, just always remember people suck.
The following 7 users liked this post by Aku700:
danm1 (03-29-2024), Gang Green (03-27-2024), JohnnyCash (03-27-2024), jpmotorsport (03-29-2024), Mitchell_B (04-03-2024), robob (03-27-2024), sea2jet (03-27-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
mtraylor2001
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I tend to park in end spots when available with all my cars and also look for spots that have wide lines to park in. But as others have said. Its always a crab shoot. You can park at the end of a parking lot with wide lines and yellow lines to the curb on one side. You will be feeling good that you didn't have to worry about rim rash next to the curb and you have the perfect spot. Then when you come out. Some one will deliberately park their car over the lines into your spot really close to your door so that its difficult to get in your car.
So yeah. Dont over think and just do your best. I would not park in narrow spots close to convenience for anything if you are afraid of door dings. As you may be vulnerable that way.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:17 AM
XXXX
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Aku700
took my Porsche GT4, parked my car across to parking lot, not a car within 100ft+, when I was done with my golf round, some pathetic jack *** parked his car 1 foot from my drivers door... End of the day, just always remember people suck.
Best approach is to avoid behaviors which triggers people. Taking up multiple parking spots is definitely a trigger.
Not everyone sucks but there are more than enough people that do!
The following users liked this post:
Gang Green (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 988 Likes on 464 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Just drive all the way home and don't stop, problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:38 AM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Good advice on the end spot parking, take your trip, check out the Sagamore and have fun. I'd also advise not to park on a spot middle line or park diagonally such that you take up 2 spaces as I've seen some boneheads do. This angers some and increases your chances of keying, or other damage.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:50 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Originally Posted by XXXX
Best approach is to avoid behaviors which triggers people. Taking up multiple parking spots is definitely a trigger.
Not everyone sucks but there are more than enough people that do!
Are you implying I took up multiple parking spots? Sure hope not, bad assumption if so. Anyway, in today’s society more and more people suck, everyone is triggered by something these days, news is now filled with people who suck, the smash and grab groups, the spraying of art across the globe, the blue haired left wing ding bats, sadly, more and more people suck. Each year, it gets worse. I mean who would have ever thought letting a guy into women’s sports is a good thing? Letting a guy change in the women’s locker room? Each year, society is slowly breaking down. Look at crime, theft is no longer prosecuted, CA and NY. Who thought letting criminals who got caught out with zero bail is a good idea?? People are realizing there’s no consequences, so people are just triggered by anything and blame it on something/someone else. Sadly, percentage of people sucking goes up each year, lol.

So, for OP or anyone else, get PPF on car and if you gonna park in public places, just do best you can, but obviously higher end hotels will be lower risks. And no, adding a cover in public areas would just peak the interests of the wrong crowd
The following 2 users liked this post by Aku700:
Carvin (03-27-2024), danm1 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:54 AM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Aku700
Are you implying I took up multiple parking spots? Sure hope not, bad assumption if so. Anyway, in today’s society more and more people suck, everyone is triggered by something these days, news is now filled with people who suck, the smash and grab groups, the spraying of art across the globe, the blue haired left wing ding bats, sadly, more and more people suck. Each year, it gets worse. I mean who would have ever thought letting a guy into women’s sports is a good thing? Letting a guy change in the women’s locker room? Each year, society is slowly breaking down. Look at crime, theft is no longer prosecuted, CA and NY. Who thought letting criminals who got caught out with zero bail is a good idea?? People are realizing there’s no consequences, so people are just triggered by anything and blame it on something/someone else. Sadly, percentage of people sucking goes up each year, lol.

So, for OP or anyone else, get PPF on car and if you gonna park in public places, just do best you can, but obviously higher end hotels will be lower risks. And no, adding a cover in public areas would just peak the interests of the wrong crowd
I think XXXX was advising you to avoid behaviors, not accusing you of perpetrating them. I think his advice is solid and I recommended something similar to the OP.
The following 2 users liked this post by zich6:
2cnd Chance (03-28-2024), Shifterkartdrvr (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:19 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 1,744 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Exactly what is it you are worried about?
Old 03-27-2024, 10:22 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by XXXX
Use a black car cover or park it in a gated garage and uber to the hotel.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Your Z06

Old 03-27-2024, 10:50 AM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Exactly what is it you are worried about?
I think the OP is worried about dings and other damage in parking lots.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:16 PM
LethalArrhythmia
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

When I park I try to do it as respectfully and as inconspicuously as possible. I don’t take up multiple spots, I don’t park over lines. I don’t even like backing in cause it draws attention. Some people will screw with your car simply cause they notice it. Some people will be irritated by your personalized plates (which is a big “no” in my book for trying to stay inconspicuous). Don’t park in a high traffic area, either car or pedestrian, cause this just statistically increases the likelihood that something will happen, even if only by accident. I try to park out of the way, end spot ideal, and then leave the rest up to fate. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:36 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I daily my corvette and park usually a little further away than most. When parking at an end spot I tend to park where the passenger door of the next car would align with my my drivers side. Most of the time in daily driving there is only one person in the other car.

as far as hotels just follow the advice and pick a nice hotel as they usually have nice parking garages or lots. I’ve stayed at smaller hotels or motels like a half an hour out of Carlisle and never had a problem.

i wouldn’t worry. Most people love corvettes and don’t mess with them.i think they respect them because the vehicles have reasonable price points and are American.

enjoy yourself and don’t worry.

JMO
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
/Bear/ (03-29-2024), Gang Green (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Parking Your Z06