Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Tracking with GT2 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 10:58 PM
Aku700
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Tracking with GT2 seats?

It appears finding Z06 with competition seats are extremely hard to find, so for those who track with GT2 seats, do you slide around too much? Mainly the knees I think would be main concern. I switched from 18 way seats in a Porsche GT4 to Buckets Seats, they kept you in place, no concerns about moving around.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:26 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,534 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Regardless of seat, if you install a harness bar and run 5 or 6 point harnesses tightened the way they should be, you will not move at all as you will be sucked down tight in the seat. It also gives you about an additional 1" of head/helmet clearance. With the Paragon harness bar installed, 10 people could look inside my car and not even know it was there. The lap belt bracket may reduce seat rear travel about an inch which could be important if you are tall. I am 6', 180# and no issues with leg room or helmet clearance. On most 5 or 6-point harnesses, you can run the sub strap between the seat back and the seat cushion so you are sitting on it. For that setup you do not want the harness buckle on the sub strap. A great harness, though expensive is the TeamTech Jet Pilot harness that has the sub strap attached to the lap belt, like a rock climbing harness.

My C8Z has GT2 seats, and the harness bar was an easy decision as I run a number of events that require 5 or 6-point harnesses. I use them at all my speed events. I retired from wheel to wheel racing 8 years ago, but still enjoy speed events and obviously am happy being "locked down" in the seat.
The following 3 users liked this post by AzDave47:
Lefty32 (03-25-2024), minn19 (03-25-2024), ZRacerLE (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 01:37 AM
Aku700
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Regardless of seat, if you install a harness bar and run 5 or 6 point harnesses tightened the way they should be, you will not move at all as you will be sucked down tight in the seat. It also gives you about an additional 1" of head/helmet clearance. With the Paragon harness bar installed, 10 people could look inside my car and not even know it was there. The lap belt bracket may reduce seat rear travel about an inch which could be important if you are tall. I am 6', 180# and no issues with leg room or helmet clearance. On most 5 or 6-point harnesses, you can run the sub strap between the seat back and the seat cushion so you are sitting on it. For that setup you do not want the harness buckle on the sub strap. A great harness, though expensive is the TeamTech Jet Pilot harness that has the sub strap attached to the lap belt, like a rock climbing harness.

My C8Z has GT2 seats, and the harness bar was an easy decision as I run a number of events that require 5 or 6-point harnesses. I use them at all my speed events. I retired from wheel to wheel racing 8 years ago, but still enjoy speed events and obviously am happy being "locked down" in the seat.
Wow, what? Harness bar I got, can you send link to this 6pt harness setup? Images? Does this setup damage the seat? In my Porsche world, the bucket seats had hole towards front to slide the harness up, so it was beyond comfortable, couldn’t move in inch it was so tight.

I’m also 6/180lbs. Lol
Old 03-25-2024, 07:51 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Aku700
It appears finding Z06 with competition seats are extremely hard to find, so for those who track with GT2 seats, do you slide around too much? Mainly the knees I think would be main concern. I switched from 18 way seats in a Porsche GT4 to Buckets Seats, they kept you in place, no concerns about moving around.
Pretty sure the seats in the cars at Ron Fellows Corvette School are the GT2s. I'm certain they are not the competition seats. They kept me in place. 6'3" 190 pounds.
The following users liked this post:
MM9284 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:55 AM
minuteman71
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 173 Likes on 67 Posts

I got mine late August and was able to get 7 track days on it. I was all over the place with the GT2 seats so over the winter I installed a Peitz harness bar and harnesses. Track opens 4/11 and I'm assuming this will solve the problem.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:09 AM
Aku700
Racer

Originally Posted by minuteman71
I got mine late August and was able to get 7 track days on it. I was all over the place with the GT2 seats so over the winter I installed a Peitz harness bar and harnesses. Track opens 4/11 and I'm assuming this will solve the problem.
I assume this is a 4 pt harness option? What price does this setup cost, bar, harness and brackets for the seat?
Old 03-25-2024, 10:25 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by foundvettelifeisgood
Pretty sure the seats in the cars at Ron Fellows Corvette School are the GT2s. I'm certain they are not the competition seats. They kept me in place. 6'3" 190 pounds.
You weren't trying hard enough. The car I drove at RF had GT2s (and iron brakes), I picked it because I wanted the same basic specs as what my car has. Even with the seat belt cinched, I found myself having to brace myself in hard cornering with the GT2s. It wasn't horrible, but it's definitely something to be aware of. If you're going to do a lot of track use, I'd either hold out for the competition seats, add a harness bar and at least a 4-point harness, or maybe even do both. The GT2 seats actually have pretty good support, the issue is that the car has such incredible limits that anything short of a full on race seat or harness setup isn't going to hold you securely if you're really pushing it.
minuteman71 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:35 AM
Aku700
Racer

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
You weren't trying hard enough. The car I drove at RF had GT2s (and iron brakes), I picked it because I wanted the same basic specs as what my car has. Even with the seat belt cinched, I found myself having to brace myself in hard cornering with the GT2s. It wasn't horrible, but it's definitely something to be aware of. If you're going to do a lot of track use, I'd either hold out for the competition seats, add a harness bar and at least a 4-point harness, or maybe even do both. The GT2 seats actually have pretty good support, the issue is that the car has such incredible limits that anything short of a full on race seat or harness setup isn't going to hold you securely if you're really pushing it.
well said, that does appear to be the case!!
Old 03-25-2024, 10:54 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,224 Likes on 6,025 Posts

GM doesn't make anything akin to the Porsche bucket. The comp seats are 99% the same as the GT2 seats in the torso, but have higher leg bolsters.

The answer to this question depends on your size, body composition, and skill level on track. Also, using the OEM seatbelt cinch feature does 90% of what harness and a harness bar do. I would only do harnesses if switching to an aftermarket seat my $0.02.

I have been tracking the car with the standard seats (GT2 and standard have the exact same frame/foam dimensions, GT2 just have a cooler looking upper half). I am 6'4" 230 lbs and while manageable, I need something more at the pace I drive. I cannot fit in the comp seats as the leg supports dig into my hip bones.

If I continue purusing tracking this car I will be doing a proper race seat w/ harness bar etc.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:19 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I’ve driven and rode shotgun in P cars with buckets. I can say with 99.9% certainty 98% of corvette owners would hate them. 90% likely couldn’t get out of them. A totally different demographic with different expectations for and of the car.

I believe the corvette team knows this and thus the reason why the comps are the most aggressive offering.

Hell. A GT car with sofa or 18 ways are looked at (by many) as a poor spec… I feel a corvette with a bucket-like seat would be viewed in the same manner by the corvette crowd
RapidC84B (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 11:29 AM
Aku700
Racer

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I’ve driven and rode shotgun in P cars with buckets. I can say with 99.9% certainty 98% of corvette owners would hate them. 90% likely couldn’t get out of them. A totally different demographic with different expectations for and of the car.

I believe the corvette team knows this and thus the reason why the comps are the most aggressive offering.

Hell. A GT car with sofa or 18 ways are looked at (by many) as a poor spec… I feel a corvette with a bucket-like seat would be viewed in the same manner by the corvette crowd
yea, I’m starting to notice this as literally like 10-20 cars in the country for sale have the Comp Seats, it’s crazy.

and FYI, the P crowd is changing, believe it or not, if found that most 992 GT3 have sofas spec now, not sure why, but I’d say big shift, maybe P car drivers getting older, not tracking as much, dunno.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:38 AM
minuteman71
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I assume this is a 4 pt harness option? What price does this setup cost, bar, harness and brackets for the seat?
Yes 4 pt Schroth harnesses. A bunch of the 4 pts I looked at had 2" shoulder straps which isn't going to work well with a hans device. I got the Peitz harness bar from Cicio and which doesn't include the mounts for the lap belts so those are additional.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:45 AM
minuteman71
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z

Coming out of a 718 GT4 with full buckets it's all about body type. I am narrow of hip and relatively thin and as my primary purpose for these toys for me is track they were great. I bought aftermarket inserts with memory foam which help the comfort index. If my harness setup proves inadequate I have some aftermarket seats I'm considering but challenge #1 is getting the airbag light to go off and not read as a fault from the ECU. Without that my car wouldn't pass state inspection.

Last edited by minuteman71; 03-25-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:56 AM
Aku700
Racer

Yes 4 pt Schroth harnesses. A bunch of the 4 pts I looked at had 2" shoulder straps which isn't going to work well with a hans device. I got the Peitz harness bar from Cicio and which doesn't include the mounts for the lap belts so those are additional.
they supposed to be 3”? Is that why? Because I do have helmet and Hans, but not sure of the shoulder strap size

and did you find these additional parts? You’d figure one place would sell all parts required
Old 03-25-2024, 12:15 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Huh? Shoulder belts for HNRs are supposed to be 2". I prefer the Schroth 2" 6-pts because the 2" hip belt fits better.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:18 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

FYI, for HANS, while at Ron Fellows they used a shoulder harness system with the 3-point belt. I think it was the Simpson Hybrid Sport.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:19 PM
minuteman71
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

they supposed to be 3”? Is that why? Because I do have helmet and Hans, but not sure of the shoulder strap size

and did you find these additional parts? You’d figure one place would sell all parts required
You may be correct and some of the harnesses use 3" straps and I got 2" straps I'll check tomorrow when it comes down from the lift. The harnesses I bought are described as follows:Schroth Porsche GT3 / GT4 4 Point ASM Harness

Also from Cicio

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking with GT2 seats?

Old 03-25-2024, 12:20 PM
Aku700
Racer

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Huh? Shoulder belts for HNRs are supposed to be 2". I prefer the Schroth 2" 6-pts because the 2" hip belt fits better.
question is, how do you get 6pt harness on a C8 with OEM seats? I don’t want to install aftermarket, it creates fault codes, etc, and you lose 1 airbag, which could be pretty important
Old 03-25-2024, 12:22 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
FYI, for HANS, while at Ron Fellows they used a shoulder harness system with the 3-point belt. I think it was the Simpson Hybrid Sport.
Yes I own one... use it for instructing. Nice piece.

You may be correct and some of the harnesses use 3" straps and I got 2" straps I'll check tomorrow when it comes down from the lift. The harnesses I bought are described as follows:Schroth Porsche GT3 / GT4 4 Point ASM Harness

Also from Cicio
HNRs require 2" shoulder belts.

question is, how do you get 6pt harness on a C8 with OEM seats? I don’t want to install aftermarket, it creates fault codes, etc, and you lose 1 airbag, which could be pretty important
There are a lot of options.. you need a harness bar and then lap belt mounts. With a 6 point you can sit on the sub straps.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:30 PM
Aku700
Racer

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Yes I own one... use it for instructing. Nice piece.

There are a lot of options.. you need a harness bar and then lap belt mounts. With a 6 point you can sit on the sub straps.
Do you know anyone that makes/sells the 6pt harness option for the C8? The OEM seats have no center hole access to pull through the sub strap?

Quick Reply: Tracking with GT2 seats?