Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Corvette Z06 warranty VOIDED? What WILL and what WON'T void YOUR warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 05:09 PM
Gang Green
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 54 Posts
Default C8 Corvette Z06 warranty VOIDED? What WILL and what WON'T void YOUR warranty!

I saw this video today which I found interesting. Naturally the content is as subjective as what others have said on CF in the past but its interesting perspective. There's been a few questions about this topic here recently and thought I would pass along. Cheers!

Old 03-18-2024, 10:29 AM
Semifighter18
Racer

Received 316 Likes on 147 Posts

There are a TON of posts on this. I agree with what he said. Other than a tune it's a "maybe your warranty is voided or not" if something happens when you install aftermarket parts. I have a ported TB on my Stingray and I'm very comfortable that not only will it not cause any problems (and actually enhances the enjoyment of the car) but that it won't void the powertrain warranty, but I can't say for sure 100% that it won't. Nobody knows 100%, so if you are a person who absolutely positively does not want to take any chances on voiding your warranty then the answer is simple, don't mod your car. What would be great to know is actual cases of people having their warranty voided because of aftermarket parts. In the case of Ported TBs, I've never read of a single case where it's happened (Googled it and couldn't find anything).
Old 03-18-2024, 10:48 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,303 Likes on 1,202 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

The only thing I really disagree with is some of the comments on Magnusson Moss. MM is for protection when using OE equivalent parts, not performance parts. Any part that states a performance gain (HP or TQ) specifically falls under the language about performance parts in the warranty doc: Aftermarket Engine Performance Enhancement Products and Modifications:
Damage, failure, or reduced life of the engine, transmission, emission system, drivetrain or other vehicle components caused by aftermarket engine performance enhancement products or modifications may not be covered under your vehicle warranty.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:19 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 247 Likes on 141 Posts

I've posted this before but will do it again. You mod the car, you run the risk of the warranty not being honored. While the manufacturer is supposed to prove the failure was caused by the aftermarket part, you can be in for a fight if warranty is denied. You can attempt to get a better answer, arbitrate etc. but that's time, money and effort. Rational decisions get thrown out the window when someone has to pay up and they believe there is an angle that they don't have to. Sometimes you can get a friendly dealer that can turn a blind eye or justify the mod didn't result in the failure but its generally a risk. Usually an intake can be OK and same for a catback but again, no guarantees.
The following 3 users liked this post by blackbirdws6:
smithers (03-18-2024), Z0HS1CK (03-18-2024), ZL-1 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 11:27 AM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm gonna echo some of the sentiment here just as a warning. The dealership is not GM. If you supposedly have a good relationship with your dealership and you believe that they will still honor things for you after you modify your car, then that's cool. But if they ever have to make an actual claim that brings in a GM inspector/investigator, you may be up **** creek. Just don't get comfortable with the idea that your relationship with your dealership can dictate what GM will and won't warranty.

Unless you're replacing the item with an OEM or OEM-like replacement, just write that component off in your head. If it gets covered despite it being aftermarket, just take it in stride and be thankful. But if it gets denied, don't act surprised or get irate. I, personally, don't care about the warranty on my vehicles but, I understand why some folks do want it. If you're one of those people, just don't modify your car until the warranty is up. It's super simple. Don't expect to modify your car and then hold the dealership/company responsible if something goes awry.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:21 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,303 Likes on 1,202 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Also FYI, all service work now requires the first step to be plugging in the scan tool and pulling all the codes, history, etc from the car. Even for a battery change, they still have to do this. GM is now much more strict on any dealer leeway for warranty service. It wouldn't surprise me that GM is looking for things like airflow out of spec from design, causing long-term fuel trim adjustment, and then specifically going back and asking the dealer to verify that the stock air intake, throttle bodies, manifolds, cats, etc are all in place.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,216 Likes on 6,020 Posts

This car is too costly for me to risk warranty denial over 10-20-30 horsepower. I wouldn't expect a catback to ever be an issue (unless you melted some stuff on track), but I could see intakes being an issue.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:47 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

This came out in 2008

Tunes and GM Warranty
Old 03-18-2024, 02:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,258 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
I've posted this before but will do it again. You mod the car, you run the risk of the warranty not being honored. While the manufacturer is supposed to prove the failure was caused by the aftermarket part, you can be in for a fight if warranty is denied. You can attempt to get a better answer, arbitrate etc. but that's time, money and effort. Rational decisions get thrown out the window when someone has to pay up and they believe there is an angle that they don't have to. Sometimes you can get a friendly dealer that can turn a blind eye or justify the mod didn't result in the failure but its generally a risk. Usually an intake can be OK and same for a catback but again, no guarantees.
This. I been parroting the same thing for years.

This car is PERFECT STOCK. GM perfected this car (although the gearing i do agree with) to where you don't have to modify it performance wise. Lower the car, put aftermarket wheels, tint it and that's it. Enjoy the years of engineering GM put into this car.

Why risk your warranty so you can pop your hatch and show off an intake that gave you 12hp. Or doing a crazy exhaust setup for 5 grand and your car is louder sure, but now sounds like a 750cc crotch rocket.

The following users liked this post:
Gang Green (03-20-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette Z06 warranty VOIDED? What WILL and what WON'T void YOUR warranty!

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette Z06 warranty VOIDED? What WILL and what WON'T void YOUR warranty!