Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z06 from C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:00 AM
armd009
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by probabilist
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will have to decide as I can't have both a C7 and C8 Z06. Have a two car garage and there is a 2021 Hellcat Redeye inside and he is not going anywhere.!! I am fortunate to have such a problem.

Install a lift….. problem solved !

8500 all in, you need a 10 foot garage height.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:04 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've had all of the modern Z06's...C5, C6, C7 and C8. I tracked the C7 Z06. I have not yet tracked the C8 Z06, but, in 2,000 miles of driving, have had it at 8600 RPM's every single time I drive it at some point (after the 500 mile break in). Is it faster than my C7 Z06 (which was mildly tweaked)? They are pretty close. The C8 Z hooks up much better. The C7Z with warm tires did pretty well. C7 Z makes more low end torque. With the C8Z you need to keep the revs in the "sweet spot", 4500 to 8600 RPM's for real power. That isn't hard to do. Paddle shifting in Track mode with that exhaust wailing is an absolute blast. This is the first modern Corvette that I won't need to go to the aftermarket for exhaust. The C8Z feels more balanced and planted at speed.

The C8Z is just a better car in almost every way. Loved all of my Z06's but they simply get better with every generation. This argument pops up every single generation and the answer is always the same.
The following users liked this post:
armd009 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:22 AM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-MAN

Love them both equally
Is that a 2023 with Elkhart Lake Metallic or a 2024 with Riptide Blue Metallic? Looks good with the painted wishbone.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:32 AM
rackemup
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

Love them both equally
And a Street Glide, Wide Glide, and Sportster.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:05 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I've had all of the modern Z06's...C5, C6, C7 and C8. I tracked the C7 Z06. I have not yet tracked the C8 Z06, but, in 2,000 miles of driving, have had it at 8600 RPM's every single time I drive it at some point (after the 500 mile break in). Is it faster than my C7 Z06 (which was mildly tweaked)? They are pretty close. The C8 Z hooks up much better. The C7Z with warm tires did pretty well. C7 Z makes more low end torque. With the C8Z you need to keep the revs in the "sweet spot", 4500 to 8600 RPM's for real power. That isn't hard to do. Paddle shifting in Track mode with that exhaust wailing is an absolute blast. This is the first modern Corvette that I won't need to go to the aftermarket for exhaust. The C8Z feels more balanced and planted at speed.

The C8Z is just a better car in almost every way. Loved all of my Z06's but they simply get better with every generation. This argument pops up every single generation and the answer is always the same.
I never tried to go "all out" in my C8Z yet but going WOT in 3rd and hitting 4th and stopping at around 125, i can definitely say my C7Z (with xpipe, intake and PTB) is faster. Stock vs stock they are probably even but even subtle mods for the C7Z will make it faster instantly. Especially once you keep diving into the triple digits.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z0HS1CK:
3LZR21U (03-15-2024), SharkDiverZ06 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 09:52 AM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Garage lift

Love them both equally
What's the brand of your lift? Any probs or downsides? I need to add one to my garage.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:12 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Turn-in on track does not necessarily make it easier to push to the limit, you also need the rear end to stay planted and communicate what it's doing, which has always been a weak point of the front engine Corvettes (yes, I've driven a number of them on track). They have great mechanical grip, but the rear tends to have a very abrupt limit, which doesn't make it as comfortable to push to the limit. As to the C8 needing a "bunch of camber", that may be true on the Stingray, but not as much on the Z06. Per the Ron Fellows presentation, they only add 1 degree of additional camber on the Z06 for track alignment.

EDIT: Based on the Track prep guide, it's actually only -2 camber for C8Z. And even the Stingray at -3 camber (front) isn't that crazy. For previous C4/5s that I tracked a lot, I remember running -2.5 front.
I understand what you are saying - But the understeer to snap oversteer is a ME Platform issue - Regardless of manufacturer. The C8 needs a lot of camber to correct the understeer. But when added, it turns beautifully and really makes the C8 shine, even in Stingray form.

Last edited by JG853; 03-15-2024 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-15-2024, 01:01 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,710 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I never tried to go "all out" in my C8Z yet but going WOT in 3rd and hitting 4th and stopping at around 125, i can definitely say my C7Z (with xpipe, intake and PTB) is faster. Stock vs stock they are probably even but even subtle mods for the C7Z will make it faster instantly. Especially once you keep diving into the triple digits.
Did you delete your secondary cats? Still running stock exhaust?
Old 03-15-2024, 01:57 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
Did you delete your secondary cats? Still running stock exhaust?
Yeah secondary cats i deleted. I kept the primary because i didn't want a CEL (still never got a single CEL EVER since first day of ownership). I figured if i was going to delete the primaries, i might as well do long tubes and go crazy but i didn't do that and it seems the stock system seems to flow well according to others. I kept the stock exhaust. I'm glad i did the katech PTB though. It got rid of the "herky jerky misfire" feeling from a dead stop when you're blipping the throttle since i have a manual. Once i installed the PTB, it was buttery smooth.

If i do decide to keep my C7Z for another longer stint, i will do LT's and a cam for sure. But i am going to enjoy it this year and start falling in love again.
SharkDiverZ06 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 03:41 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Yeah secondary cats i deleted. I kept the primary because i didn't want a CEL (still never got a single CEL EVER since first day of ownership). I figured if i was going to delete the primaries, i might as well do long tubes and go crazy but i didn't do that and it seems the stock system seems to flow well according to others. I kept the stock exhaust. I'm glad i did the katech PTB though. It got rid of the "herky jerky misfire" feeling from a dead stop when you're blipping the throttle since i have a manual. Once i installed the PTB, it was buttery smooth.

If i do decide to keep my C7Z for another longer stint, i will do LT's and a cam for sure. But i am going to enjoy it this year and start falling in love again.
I can't get away with deleting the secondary cats as Colorado emissions laws have been Californicated, but the PTB sounds very interesting...What did that run you? Any tuning required just for a PTB?
Old 03-15-2024, 06:03 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Are you talking about tailpipe readings or just a visual inspection?

Because your tunnel plate will cover your xpipe if you decide to install it. They won't even bother checking if the plate is there, they will only see your primary cats.

I don't remember what the katech costs. I did this mod back in 2017. Right after the xpipe. It was super cheap though i know that. Not over 400 bucks. 380 or something i honestly can't remember. If you look at older threads in spring/summer of 2017 you might find the old katech threads advertising this. That's when i bought it. Then sold my stock PTB on this forum. No tuning. Didn't think i needed it from what i remember. Unless you do LT's or a pulley swap etc. Then you gotta tune i believe.

The big 3 mods were the only mods "allowed" on the stock tune. Intake, xpipe and PTB. It was a big thing back in the day when i first got my C7Z.
SharkDiverZ06 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:13 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Yeah, it's the tailpipe emissions...Tuner we've used for years said it never used to be a problem removing secondaries but that with the new Colorado standards he was getting guys coming back in due to failed tests. Recommended just doing a muffler delete if I was just after a louder/deeper exhaust note. I went with the AWE Track exhaust since I liked the black tips and they're not that expensive...Lost the valves to quiet it down but I literally would never use those anyway. I'll research the PTB though as I know exactly what you're talking about with the herky jerky thing. Thanks for the info.!
Old 03-15-2024, 08:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,774 Likes on 3,184 Posts

You still never told me which dealer you're going to trust for your 7500 mile service lol.

please let me know. Right now i'm just going to be keep paying for oil changes/DCT filter changes with a performance shop until that time. Only have 2100 miles though.
idk what I'm gonna do yet. I'm at 2k mi been working alot and weather well you know.

I wonder if ciocca is a worth while move?

Ill ask my buddy who owns a performance shop where i should go. The service manager changed at the dealership I wanted to go to and I just can't deal with that place now.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:52 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
Yeah, it's the tailpipe emissions...Tuner we've used for years said it never used to be a problem removing secondaries but that with the new Colorado standards he was getting guys coming back in due to failed tests. Recommended just doing a muffler delete if I was just after a louder/deeper exhaust note. I went with the AWE Track exhaust since I liked the black tips and they're not that expensive...Lost the valves to quiet it down but I literally would never use those anyway. I'll research the PTB though as I know exactly what you're talking about with the herky jerky thing. Thanks for the info.!
Honestly if you're leaving the secondary cats, i would look into like borla or corsa IMO. C7Z's do sound like UPS trucks a bit, moreso at idle and i think just doing a muffler delete will not only take away your ability to control the valves but probably make it more UPS truck sounding. Idk if you like that type of sound lol.

I use the valves strictly for highway use. Otherwise you're hunting for the perfect RPM to cruise at so it's not as annoying.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:54 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 23/C8Z
idk what I'm gonna do yet. I'm at 2k mi been working alot and weather well you know.

I wonder if ciocca is a worth while move?

Ill ask my buddy who owns a performance shop where i should go. The service manager changed at the dealership I wanted to go to and I just can't deal with that place now.
Right now ciocca is the only viable option right now. Since i believe in order to sell z06's (and they do sell a ton), they have to have a master corvette tech on site?

At least we have time. My mileage on the C8Z will slow down this year because i do want to enjoy the C7Z all over again. I probably won't hit 5-6k by the end of 2024. So i'll worry about the dealer service next year.

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 from C7 Z06