Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Zr1 hp

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:40 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 902 Likes on 594 Posts

I don't think a 4500lbs car with 1000hp on tap is going to feel weighty at all. Veyron was 4050 ish. Chiron is 4400 ish. Slugging around 4500 (high estimate) with 1000hp still comes in at 2 less lbs per hp than the ER; and we all know the ER is no slouch.

I see very distinct markets for the ZR1 and Zora; just like there's a lot of hybrid drive haters who won't even look at an ER.

p.s.
I've got a line in for one (zora)...but IDK if it will actually appeal to me or if I'll end up keeping the ER I'm in line for. I figure I'd probably need an extra 100k + trade-in, and then I get to deal with whatever fugly and gross 75th livery GM pukes up--on top of any concerns for maintenance cost on the NA LT2 & a fairly straightforward hybrid drive.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:09 PM
C2Red64
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Doesn't make sense to have 2 separate variants of a very similar car with 1 being AWD. The ERAY and z06 are similar price range but 2 totally different cars besides just AWD.

For the ZR1 and ZORA to have the SAME powerplant, except the ZORA having AWD? Idk if that makes sense.

It makes more sense to have the ZR1. Then have a ZR1 "ZORA" edition for people who would want AWD and spend 200+.

Or the ZR1 could just be the almighty corvette again of the lineup. With AWD and closer to 1000hp. But if that's the case, then definitely not starting at 150k lol
Doesnt have to make sense, its about GM making profit. Its not a big deal to add AWD to the ZR1 and/or the Zora, if there even is one.
Hell, there is AWD on a blazer, why cant it be on both ZR1 and Zora? It is just extra parts and some tuning. Im on a few lists for the ZR1, and if its not AWD i wont get it. And it better not have any hybrid stuff on it either, or it is also a pass. I already have a vehicle with over 1400hp, so not interested in anything hybrid or electric, but maybe the lambo revuelto.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:35 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,216 Likes on 6,020 Posts

Santa Clause came to me in a dream and said ZR1 is TT RWD and there's "another one" with eAWD, but it's not a copy/paste of the eRay bits. Tooth Fairy says ZR1 was supposed to be eAWD at one point and the "another one" would be full active aero, but things shifted some during development. $0.015 take it or leave it.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:37 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
Air quantity and air velocity are not the same thing. The longer the stroke, the more air velocity you have--which mixes the air/fuel better.

Can you get the same torque/power out of oversquare? Sure. The trade off is requiring higher RPM and the corresponding longevity decrease.
You might enjoy this thread;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ke-or-fpc.html

Old 03-19-2024, 01:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,258 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Red64
Doesnt have to make sense, its about GM making profit. Its not a big deal to add AWD to the ZR1 and/or the Zora, if there even is one.
Hell, there is AWD on a blazer, why cant it be on both ZR1 and Zora? It is just extra parts and some tuning. Im on a few lists for the ZR1, and if its not AWD i wont get it. And it better not have any hybrid stuff on it either, or it is also a pass. I already have a vehicle with over 1400hp, so not interested in anything hybrid or electric, but maybe the lambo revuelto.
They'll sell any C8 variant even if they decide to make the ZORA all electric.

I'm just saying from a "corvette enthusiast" point of view. If the ZR1 is 800, TT with RWD. Then a ZORA is the same setup, just with an electric motor in the front to make it AWD and bring it to 950hp or so, is that enough to charge the 50-75k extra which i assume it would be for a corvette of that magnitude?

The Z06 already looks crazy aesthetically. Imagine the ZR1 when revealed and then a ZORA? It'll then look like a transformer at that point.

Just saying if the ZR1 is this monster as we know of it, maybe there won't be a ZORA. There's only so much you can do before people are wondering what is the difference between them and if that extra cost is justified just for 1 added performance advantage, AWD.

Plus i was watching the "ZR1 mules" at the ring and i didn't notice any traction issues. So maybe it is AWD? Who knows anymore.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:47 PM
rackemup
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

Can't wait to see the reveal, power numbers, and performance metrics. This thing should be a bitch.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:10 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Just out of curiosity, any idea what the rod ratios are for the LT2 and LT6?
Old 03-19-2024, 10:10 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
...Plus i was watching the "ZR1 mules" at the ring and i didn't notice any traction issues. So maybe it is AWD? Who knows anymore.
actually there is a video clip of a ZR1 at the 'Ring where it loses traction momentarily....not sure if it is during a shift or just laying into the throttle with Traction Control off...sorry that I can't immediately find it to repost it...
Old 03-20-2024, 01:38 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Absolutely zero chance for the ZR1 to have AWD without being a hybrid.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:06 AM
C2Red64
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Absolutely zero chance for the ZR1 to have AWD without being a hybrid.
Really? And you know this how? Your opinion?

Lambo huracans have AWD models, im sure GM engineers can make it happen on the ZR1 with no hybrid system.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:46 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,258 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
actually there is a video clip of a ZR1 at the 'Ring where it loses traction momentarily....not sure if it is during a shift or just laying into the throttle with Traction Control off...sorry that I can't immediately find it to repost it...
I have to search the videos i think i know what you're talking about.

The one where on first corner entry of the ring he spun it a bit? That could be due to cold tires though.

I know these C8 variants all have great traction control but with everything turned on in my C7Z, even when it was stock, i could still fishtail a bit.

The new ZR1 looks very composed for a car that's supposed to have close to 700, or maybe even more ft lbs of torque.
The following users liked this post:
JMB (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 06:57 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Lambo huracans have AWD models, im sure GM engineers can make it happen on the ZR1 with no hybrid system.
It doesn't make sense at all.
GM isn't making a major drivetrain redesign when the ERay already exists.
The following 2 users liked this post by vrybad:
3LZR21U (03-20-2024), Kirito (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 07:14 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Mechanical AWD linkage in a Corvette, you can pretty much expect GM to never do this. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if mechanical AWD linkage starts to almost die out in sports cars. If GM had made an AWD Corvette like I'd wanted them to do back in the C4 generation, maybe that would have been a thing. But nearly 35 years later, and it's just now coming into the hands of owners...so no. No mechanical linkage. Ever. I'd almost put money on it.

And that goes doubly so for the Corvette migrating away from a F/R layout. M/R would be even more complex to design from scratch to be AWD.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:03 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Mechanical AWD linkage in a Corvette, you can pretty much expect GM to never do this. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if mechanical AWD linkage starts to almost die out in sports cars. If GM had made an AWD Corvette like I'd wanted them to do back in the C4 generation, maybe that would have been a thing. But nearly 35 years later, and it's just now coming into the hands of owners...so no. No mechanical linkage. Ever. I'd almost put money on it.

And that goes doubly so for the Corvette migrating away from a F/R layout. M/R would be even more complex to design from scratch to be AWD.
Yep, even Porsche, after decades of a mechanically implemented AWD, is going to electric front drive for the 2025 992.2 Turbo.
The following users liked this post:
CDNZR (03-29-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 03:32 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Hell, there is AWD on a blazer, why cant it be on both ZR1 and Zora? It is just extra parts and some tuning. Im on a few lists for the ZR1, and if its not AWD i wont get it. And it better not have any hybrid stuff on it either, or it is also a pass..
You may as well go ahead and get off of that list .....

The following 2 users liked this post by RedLS6:
3LZR21U (03-20-2024), Kirito (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 07:25 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Just out of curiosity, any idea what the rod ratios are for the LT2 and LT6?
LT6 uses a 5.7-inch rod for a 1.81 r/s, LT2 uses a 6.098 for a 1.68 r/s.

One of the biggest debates so far, is will the LT7 be LT6-based, or will it be based on a more passenger/truck-like as-yet-unreleased Gen6 with a CPC. I think one of the very first things Tadge asked years ago, was "will the LT6 FPC architecture work with boost, with minor changes?" Co-development of both LT6 and LT7 simultaneously saves much in the way of development costs, and the FPC lends itself to efficient turbocharging. If they did find out that they needed a CPC architecture, I suspect it was due to possible piston and rod strength issues that pushed them away from the light rod and good r/s ratio and into a shorter rod / stronger piston with a lower compression height and more weight and a more favorable vibration region; We'll see.
The following 3 users liked this post by RedLS6:
JMB (03-20-2024), Joefab (03-22-2024), skank (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 10:20 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

I was looking back over a thread you had posted in years ago about the LT6, and you mentioned something about secondary vibrations being attenuated by longer rod ratios. To that end, I could see where vibration could become problematic if--as you stated--strength of the piston/rod had to be increased, thus necessitating a shorter rod ratio.

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 hp

Old 03-21-2024, 12:49 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

I'm not sure if you're joking or just trying to have people react to your irrational speculation. Anyone with the smallest amount of mechanical understanding of the Corvette platform would realize that GM will not create an AWD C8 Corvette without a hybrid system. That would be mechanically, financially impractical if not nearly impossible. To route a driveshaft through the tunnel front of the engine... No way, no how!
Old 03-21-2024, 11:47 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
I'm not sure if you're joking or just trying to have people react to your irrational speculation. Anyone with the smallest amount of mechanical understanding of the Corvette platform would realize that GM will not create an AWD C8 Corvette without a hybrid system. That would be mechanically, financially impractical if not nearly impossible. To route a driveshaft through the tunnel front of the engine... No way, no how!
with the engine between the transmission and the front of the car, they would to route the drive shaft from the output of the transmission past the engine where the is little rom to the front differential. Or route it from the front of the engine to an identical transmission that is synchronized to the main transmission. Yeah, not going to happen.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:37 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 689 Posts

Of course we don't know, but it seems unlikely from a financial standpoint. Developing a mechanical AWD would require substantial engineering, testing, and software development costs along with significant manufacturing start-up and supplier tooling costs. This could have been done at the beginning of the C8 program and the cost spread over tens of thousands of units. If history holds, at most the ZR1 will sell a few thousand units a year for a few years. That's a small base to spread those costs across. Whether GM would be willing to gamble on that investment to be recovered on a corvette that could start at $150k seems doubtful.

In contrast, GM may not sell a ton of e-rays, but they will almost certainly exceed the number of ZR1s, and the e-ray's technology provides some lessons as GM marches toward an electric future.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ragtop 99:
3LZR21U (03-22-2024), robob (03-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Zr1 hp