Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

I dynoed cat deletes and ported throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:49 PM
superramvette2
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Default I dynoed cat deletes and ported throttle bodies

So hit up the dyno after doing cat deletes. Cat delete only 603/410 which I expected more. My buddies cat w cat back made more power and I expected deletes due to sound to make more but they didn’t. Swapped Soler ported throttle bodies on the dyno and made 619/427 tq. Did probably 4 baseline pulls and 3 after . Base pulls were all within a hp or two of each other. I think w an intake these will make more power as I think stock intake is a restriction. I’m also surprised the base numbers weren’t higher from cat delete. I had just driven 1.5 hrs so perhaps heat was playing into this some I’m not sure. There was a little cool down time after arriving tho. It took probably an hour to swap throttle bodies and we did it on the dyno. I have the graphs here. One has some interference from cam sensor so the rpm changes causing a tq spike so ignore the max torque number. You can see by the curve on the graph that torque picks up across the powerband.

im doing a jlt intake swap soon and now considering a cat back like corsa because of what my buddies car made w just cat back. I think stock must have some restriction and if anything you will save weight.

anywho , here is video and graphs.

The following 5 users liked this post by superramvette2:
123sugey (02-21-2024), c7gsmike (02-21-2024), ChevyChad (02-27-2024), gatorfl (02-25-2024), Michael A (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:16 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Any air fuel measurement?
Old 02-20-2024, 11:47 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

What were your readings before the mods? On the same dyno?
The following 3 users liked this post by AzDave47:
Car Junkie 24 (02-21-2024), tadda (02-23-2024), zland (03-03-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 12:01 AM
Tristen1963
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Tuning it would make more
Old 02-21-2024, 07:40 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,884 Likes on 4,280 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by AzDave47
This & what was your friend's baseline dyno #s, was it on the same dyno, same day, same conditions, etc.?

What you showed with the cat-delete is modern cats don't rob any power, yet people continue to remove them.
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
Car Junkie 24 (02-21-2024), NytmereZ (03-02-2024), robob (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:10 AM
superramvette2
Pro

Originally Posted by AzDave47
only baseline dyno was w the cat deletes. I already had them installed when I got there. My friend w a 24 z had almost identical numbers completely stock 603 whp but on a different day.
The following users liked this post:
ChevyChad (02-27-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 AM
superramvette2
Pro

I will say I ran the 1/8 mile w cat deleted and mph was 104/105 which is similar to stock so that matches my baseline numbers w deletes.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:15 AM
superramvette2
Pro

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Any air fuel measurement?
I do not have AFR.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:49 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,574 Likes on 863 Posts

I read that if you install the Soler ported throttle bodies you have to do some reprogramming to get the full potential out of them. MAF I believe.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:19 PM
d454brisson
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Cant wait to see you data on the JLT. That and the ported Soler TBs may be a good package
Old 02-24-2024, 01:11 AM
superramvette2
Pro

I dont have that data but my buddy does dmbracing. He has released it on his youtube channel today. (not with ported tb, intake alone)

Originally Posted by d454brisson
Cant wait to see you data on the JLT. That and the ported Soler TBs may be a good package
Old 02-25-2024, 11:44 AM
d454brisson
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Right, I am looking forward to you adding the JLT to your current combo with the Solers. That may be the path I take, leaving the exhaust alone unless Corsa or some other shows a substantial change.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:07 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

Received 590 Likes on 306 Posts

Many cars go into catalyst over temp protection and the only way to know is to look wide band data. Most cars do not have an exhaust gas temp sensor and instead, use calibrated modeling to determine when to richen A/F to save the cats. If, with cat deletes, you are going into this protection, you will lose some power.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:23 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for posting. Absolutely love the Z06 high pitch sound below 90mph. Probably the first time ever I want to take the long way home with stop and go traffic. Ha!

I’m a die hard veteran of cat delete and air management, but I’d have to see some good data on this set up. Any aftermarket keeping the high pitch and offering gains? Haven’t heard any in person yet.

I’d assume the cat delete would favor track focused gains with air management (intake) etc. Not sure the dyno will show much. Any restriction that’s removed should help…..certainly with a tune.
123sugey (02-26-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 08:54 AM
superramvette2
Pro

A couple of things that I don’t understand here. One, cat deletes I expected to dyno a lot more than they did. My friend at the same dyno the same day w a car with only paragon catback made more whp (about 10 more)Which brings the question either too little backpressure loses power on a stock z06 or the factory catback even though “open” is a restriction. I have seen high flow cats gain whp on these cars but they still provide some backpressure as not straight through. I am tempted to purchase a corsa or one of these Ti exhaust catback and install on the dyno to see if there is any gain or not.

also I have 1/8 mile times on cat deletes at about 700 feet above sea level and they seem about what stock does. Mph 104/105 which is in line with stock numbers I have seen. I think this backs the fact that the deletes themselves didn’t add much power only sound.

Originally Posted by Driv200
Thanks for posting. Absolutely love the Z06 high pitch sound below 90mph. Probably the first time ever I want to take the long way home with stop and go traffic. Ha!

I’m a die hard veteran of cat delete and air management, but I’d have to see some good data on this set up. Any aftermarket keeping the high pitch and offering gains? Haven’t heard any in person yet.

I’d assume the cat delete would favor track focused gains with air management (intake) etc. Not sure the dyno will show much. Any restriction that’s removed should help…..certainly with a tune.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:45 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a feeling after u drive the car a few hundred miles then dyno it will gain the hp from the added parts more efficiently
123sugey (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 05:09 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,201 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by superramvette2
...cat deletes I expected to dyno a lot more than they did...
Why did you expect more from cat deletes? Modern cats flow very well, I remember deleting the cats on my '12 supercharged GS and making maybe 5HP more. To me, the downsides (wife constantly complaining about the smell) was not worth the measly power gain.
NytmereZ (03-02-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 10:48 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by superramvette2
A couple of things that I don’t understand here. One, cat deletes I expected to dyno a lot more than they did. My friend at the same dyno the same day w a car with only paragon catback made more whp (about 10 more)Which brings the question either too little backpressure loses power on a stock z06 or the factory catback even though “open” is a restriction. I have seen high flow cats gain whp on these cars but they still provide some backpressure as not straight through. I am tempted to purchase a corsa or one of these Ti exhaust catback and install on the dyno to see if there is any gain or not.

also I have 1/8 mile times on cat deletes at about 700 feet above sea level and they seem about what stock does. Mph 104/105 which is in line with stock numbers I have seen. I think this backs the fact that the deletes themselves didn’t add much power only sound.
Backpressure is not helpful and does not add power. Backpressure prevents some of the exhaust charge from exiting the cylinder, which then reduces filling with fresh air. Less fresh intake air equals less power.

The backpressure myth arose because many cars had narrow exhaust tubes, either in the manifold or the I-pipe or both. The narrow pipes helped cars maintain high exhaust gas velocity at low rpm, which is good for getting the spent gasses out of the cylinder. While the narrow diameter tubing helped low end torque and fuel economy, it is a restriction on the top end when the engine is expelling a lot of gas. Putting big headers and large diameter exhaust systems on the car unlocked power on the top end, but the extra system volume reduced exhaust gas velocity and scavenging on the bottom end. Hence the myth that backpressure was helpful. Systems are better designed now to increase the rpm range that the system supports, but it is difficult to make a system that is ideal at 2000 rpm and at 6000 rpm.

The Z06's wideband will start to correct for changes in the A/F ratio from removing the cats, but generally fixing the tune and not relying upon LTrims works better. Additionally, the spark timing may not be ideal after the change. If the car doesn't make more power from removing the cats it can be traced to a few possible suspects: dyno run variance, the cats flow well, or the tune is optimized for having the restriction and needs to be optimized for a restriction free system.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ragtop 99:
123sugey (03-02-2024), Driv200 (03-02-2024), robob (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:02 AM
superramvette2
Pro

good points and thanks for the info, I’ll have to do more research on the back pressure theory. But basically the gist is that peak HP should always increase w more exhaust flow and here it didn’t or doesn’t seem to have. I agree there is probably timing / fueling trim adjustments needed to optimize the increased flow which we cannot do at this time. But I still think the factory catback is a restriction otherwise why are the aftermarket ones picking up dyno proven hp. (I have witnessed the gain myself on same dyno from my buddies car. Baseline pulls , swapped that day same air). Repeat baseline pulls still showed the gains within 1 hp on a separate occasion.

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Backpressure is not helpful and does not add power. Backpressure prevents some of the exhaust charge from exiting the cylinder, which then reduces filling with fresh air. Less fresh intake air equals less power.

The backpressure myth arose because many cars had narrow exhaust tubes, either in the manifold or the I-pipe or both. The narrow pipes helped cars maintain high exhaust gas velocity at low rpm, which is good for getting the spent gasses out of the cylinder. While the narrow diameter tubing helped low end torque and fuel economy, it is a restriction on the top end when the engine is expelling a lot of gas. Putting big headers and large diameter exhaust systems on the car unlocked power on the top end, but the extra system volume reduced exhaust gas velocity and scavenging on the bottom end. Hence the myth that backpressure was helpful. Systems are better designed now to increase the rpm range that the system supports, but it is difficult to make a system that is ideal at 2000 rpm and at 6000 rpm.

The Z06's wideband will start to correct for changes in the A/F ratio from removing the cats, but generally fixing the tune and not relying upon LTrims works better. Additionally, the spark timing may not be ideal after the change. If the car doesn't make more power from removing the cats it can be traced to a few possible suspects: dyno run variance, the cats flow well, or the tune is optimized for having the restriction and needs to be optimized for a restriction free system.

Get notified of new replies

To I dynoed cat deletes and ported throttle bodies

Quick Reply: I dynoed cat deletes and ported throttle bodies