Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Standard Summer Tires and Cold Temperatures - I think I figured it out

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:15 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Standard Summer Tires and Cold Temperatures - I think I figured it out

My C8Z was delivered yesterday and temps dropped in to the 20s, but not below 20.
This morning it is in the 20s and I was disappointed I could not drive it.
Many people say you can't drive summer tires under 40 degrees.

So I researched the Owners Manual online and Michelin recommendations and here is what I came up with...

If temperatures drop BELOW 20 degrees while the car is sitting, you need to wait until the Temps warm up to 40 degrees before driving it.
Not sure if this means tire temps, but I can live with it either way.

If temps are above 20, you can still drive the car, but they will be hard as hockey pucks and braking and traction will be worse, again, something I can live with.

My feeling is, if temps drop below 20 and then stay above 20 and in to the 30s for a few days straight, I would think it would be OK to drive, but most likely at that point i will drove my Porsche 911 Turbo S with all-seasons until the temps warm up to 40 degrees again..

As soon as the C8Z needs tires, I will switch to the Michelin all-season runflats to avoid this situation.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:12 AM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

I had some tires crack at around 18* and the car did not move. The were maybe 3-4 years old, so maybe that played a role. (they were contis) These UHP summer tires certainly do not like cold temps.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:27 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,197 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by yell03
As soon as the C8Z needs tires, I will switch to the Michelin all-season runflats to avoid this situation.
This. I really wish GM would have offered them as a factory option. It's not that I plan on driving it in snow, but it would be nice to drive it on clear days when it's cold here in Omaha. Plus the Michelin A/S tires for the Eray in Z06 sizes really don't give up much performance on the street to the PS4.
The following users liked this post:
lewislgZ06 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 12:47 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
I had some tires crack at around 18* and the car did not move. The were maybe 3-4 years old, so maybe that played a role. (they were contis) These UHP summer tires certainly do not like cold temps.
Years ago I had this happen before people knew it was an issue..
Heck, I used to drive my 03 Cobra and other Supercharged Foxbody Mustangs year round on Drag Radials.

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
This. I really wish GM would have offered them as a factory option. It's not that I plan on driving it in snow, but it would be nice to drive it on clear days when it's cold here in Omaha. Plus the Michelin A/S tires for the Eray in Z06 sizes really don't give up much performance on the street to the PS4.
High Performance All-seasons don't give up much traction to a summer tire in a straight line in warm weather, but they stick much better in cold weather.
My Porsche will never run summer tires again unless I did a separate combo for summer and winter.
I do have a second set of rims, but I don't feel it is necessary to swap rims twice a year.

Get notified of new replies

To Standard Summer Tires and Cold Temperatures - I think I figured it out

Quick Reply: Standard Summer Tires and Cold Temperatures - I think I figured it out