Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

24 vs 23 headlight assembly, difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 08:53 PM
superramvette2
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Default 24 vs 23 headlight assembly, difference?

Had a tire destroy my left front headlight today coming back from the dyno. All the listed parts only say 20-23 and I read somewhere that there was some change in 24 w the auto brights . Anyone know if the earlier lights are interchangeable ? Thanks in advance.

Ppf saved me from a complete front repaint. money well spent here. Only area I think has damage is an area without it , windshield and this light.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:22 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,574 Likes on 863 Posts

One thing to note I know for sure on the SR and assume the Z06 is the same there are 2 different headlights if you have the optional Front Lift kit you get auto leveling headlights if you don't have the option they are not self-leveling.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:30 PM
BocaC8
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Tell us the story.....was this a tire/wheel combo or just a tire skin that hit you? The PPF clearly works (I was not a believer before seeing this).
Old 02-20-2024, 12:44 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,214 Likes on 6,018 Posts

Man that sucks... the 2024s have auto high beams (as well as lane keep assist and AEB). I doubt the logic to control them is part of the 2023. Not sure if the headlight itself is any different, but the 2024 would need a sensor to know when/how to control the lights. The 2024 "camera" package at the top of the windshield is totally different as it has sensors for the headlights, AEB, and lane keep etc.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:47 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,884 Likes on 4,280 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by BocaC8
Tell us the story.....was this a tire/wheel combo or just a tire skin that hit you? The PPF clearly works (I was not a believer before seeing this).
I had the exact same thing as the OP happen on my last BMW. PPF protected the paint so there was no paint damage. It also held together the broken lens of my headlight so I could still drive the vehicle while waiting for a new headlight from Germany. With the headlight, fog light, lower grille, my damage was at $4,500. Had it needed paint work on the front bumper, hood & fender, it would've been much worse.

All my vehicles have Xpel Ultimate ppf, it's worth it to me.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:05 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 532 Posts

OP, what year is your car? 23 or 24? You don't really mention if you are trying to put an older light on a newer vehicle, or a newer light on an older vehicle.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:23 PM
superramvette2
Pro

Car is a 24. I messaged a seller on eBay that sells used lights he stated they are the same. I hope he is right. The ppf really saved me. It was a tire skin. I’ll post pics after buffing but I am amazed how well 8mm of ppf protected me
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 522 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if there is hidden damage behind that bumper headlight. PPF may not have saved you.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:50 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by superramvette2
Car is a 24. I messaged a seller on eBay that sells used lights he stated they are the same. I hope he is right. The ppf really saved me. It was a tire skin. I’ll post pics after buffing but I am amazed how well 8mm of ppf protected me
Of course the eBay seller would tell you that they are all the same. I'd be a bit leery of trusting the guy trying to make the sale, but that's just me.

Why aren't you filing a claim on insurance and getting an OEM headlight with the correct 2024 part number?
robob (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 06:26 AM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

Why aren't you filing a claim on insurance and getting an OEM headlight with the correct 2024 part number?[/QUOTE]
————-
likely does not want a CarFax notation of accident damage. Its sucks we pay a premium for great dynamic sports cars and often on expensive minor damages Self Insure since you can not sue for pain/sufferring and likely $1000 deductible . Biggest worry is devalue from accident report notations on car-fax.

Around me goddamn deer are everywhere ……….praise the lord have not hit one of those bums at high speed. Perhaps another reason Loud Cars might save lives scare away animals. Highway damage sucks ……..one time a piece of wood like a 4” by 4” fell off a truck and i was in my McLaren driving to the Jersey shore ……..it bounced 2 times went up 7 feet I luckily drove under the SOB as i was boxed in by traffic .

Last edited by Joefab; 02-21-2024 at 06:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joefab:
Car Junkie 24 (02-21-2024), ChevyChad (02-21-2024), minn19 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 07:25 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

OP - a dealer parts department can verify the PN and see if they’re actually the same YOY. Wouldn’t surprise me if they are and the 24 just has sensors and a way to auto-control them.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:29 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,884 Likes on 4,280 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Joefab
Why aren't you filing a claim on insurance and getting an OEM headlight with the correct 2024 part number?
————-
likely does not want a CarFax notation of accident damage. Its sucks we pay a premium for great dynamic sports cars and often on expensive minor damages Self Insure since you can not sue for pain/sufferring and likely $1000 deductible . Biggest worry is devalue from accident report notations on car-fax.
[/QUOTE]

I've found it's always best to check with the repair facility/dealer to find out if they report. The repairs to my BMW ($4,500) were not reported. The headlight and foglight replacement were on my BMW history, probably because new oem parts carry the balance of the factory warranty, but no damage was reported. My wife's old Grand Cherokee had a new bumper installed, paint, etc. from being hit by road debris, also not reported.

I would think in OP's case all that would be reported is new headlight installed which would be no different than a defective headlight being replaced, unless the repair facility specifically reports "front end damage".
ChevyChad (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:14 AM
superramvette2
Pro

in my experience filing claims hurts you more than helps you unless it’s a true accident. You have loss of value, pain in the *** insurance companies , repair shops have cars extensive amount of time. I have no plans on selling car and would always disclose w pictures so I’m not trying to deceive anyone I’m just a DIY guy that doesn’t trust others with my car.

here are pics after polishing

After elbow grease and headlight ppf removal

After elbow grease

Hard to see here but still a small scratch

Originally Posted by JABCAT
————-
I've found it's always best to check with the repair facility/dealer to find out if they report. The repairs to my BMW ($4,500) were not reported. The headlight and foglight replacement were on my BMW history, probably because new oem parts carry the balance of the factory warranty, but no damage was reported. My wife's old Grand Cherokee had a new bumper installed, paint, etc. from being hit by road debris, also not reported.

I would think in OP's case all that would be reported is new headlight installed which would be no different than a defective headlight being replaced, unless the repair facility specifically reports "front end damage".[/QUOTE]
The following 2 users liked this post by superramvette2:
Car Junkie 24 (02-21-2024), ChevyChad (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:18 AM
superramvette2
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I wouldn't be surprised if there is hidden damage behind that bumper headlight. PPF may not have saved you.
I should have bumper off next week. Light feels stable and doesn’t have any movement so I’m optimistic no mount damage.
ChevyChad (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:20 AM
superramvette2
Pro

normally I would be the same way but I noticed in my search that the modules that do the colored LED now list 20–24 as same Pn which also makes me think the light is the same. They accept returns and this was the fastest way to get a light. ( it’s here Friday, windshield replaced Friday) so I could have it fixed by Monday. (Ordered same brand ppf xpel cutout for headlight I’ll apply myself. 65 bucks)

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Of course the eBay seller would tell you that they are all the same. I'd be a bit leery of trusting the guy trying to make the sale, but that's just me.

ChevyChad (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:27 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

OP - Track Armor has a really good tutorial video for taking off front bumper to do their radiator screens FYI.

Curious how much they have to take apart to do your windshield? LMK if the a-pillar painted parts just snap off?
superramvette2 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 05:29 PM
superramvette2
Pro

I got a call today from Safelite . There are no 24 windshields. They had to cancel my order and I tried dealer and there are none in stock and unknown time for obtaining one. 850 bucks from dealer. I am gonna try some other routes to obtain one but I think the 24 shield is different due to the auto high beam **** with I’m guessing sensors in the area near the mirror. My headlight came today tho and it looks great. Near perfect.

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
OP - Track Armor has a really good tutorial video for taking off front bumper to do their radiator screens FYI.

Curious how much they have to take apart to do your windshield? LMK if the a-pillar painted parts just snap off?

Get notified of new replies

To 24 vs 23 headlight assembly, difference?

Old 02-21-2024, 10:17 PM
superramvette2
Pro

lights are the same. Swapped them today .

Originally Posted by superramvette2
I got a call today from Safelite . There are no 24 windshields. They had to cancel my order and I tried dealer and there are none in stock and unknown time for obtaining one. 850 bucks from dealer. I am gonna try some other routes to obtain one but I think the 24 shield is different due to the auto high beam **** with I’m guessing sensors in the area near the mirror. My headlight came today tho and it looks great. Near perfect.
ChevyChad (02-22-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 05:58 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

I see you had a new intake and filter in the car.
Was this what you had dynoed?
If so would you mind sharing the before and after numbers?

PM me if you like.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:01 AM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Hello, Superramvette2! Just a suggestion for when you are having the windshield replaced. Be sure to bring to the attention of the glass replacement tech how the windshield is almost flush with the exterior header trim piece. When my broken windshield was being replaced the tech removed the exterior header trim piece before removing the damaged glass. When the exterior header trim piece is removed this is the time for the tech to measure or perhaps create a small "go - no go" gauge to use to establish the proper replacement glass installation height. Although the factory glass has locator devices at the upper corners to establish the left to right and up and down placement, there is no control to establish how firmly the tech should press down on the windshield (compressing the sealant) which will determine the glass's final height. Unfortunately my windshield was installed too low - live and learn!

Quick Reply: 24 vs 23 headlight assembly, difference?