Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06, Z07 resale.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 05:28 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,837 Posts

I don't think small options really have an impact on resale. Anything other than Z07 (or just aero) and the no longer available anniversary edition just doesn't seem to matter for resale.

I think having a red mist exterior and a different color of red interior will make the car more difficult to sell. If resale is a real concern I'd mostly just play it safe on options. Like a black interior, nothing overly unique, no competition seats, etc. The front lift may not make the value higher down the road, but it can make it easier to sell as there are buyers who need that option and its a deal breaker it the car doesn't have it.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:31 PM
Bald Guy
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I would say that the red interior is too much red on a red exterior. The red interior may look okay on a black or white exterior. Also, the red interior is a brighter red in comparison to the darker red mist exterior. I personally would play it safe and go with a black interior.

Also, I would try to stay away from carbon components since that's more to worry about getting damaged, cracking, or breaking.

Good luck with your decision, congratulations in advance, and please don't forget to post pictures.
The following users liked this post:
ZRacerLE (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:55 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,895 Likes on 4,285 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Scottfpv
Thoughts on the best interior with red mist?

Scott
The best interior with Red Mist is black. Natural is horrible, and as mentioned above, the different reds clash. I'd also skip the carbon fiber wheels if you're thinking about resale down the road. They appear to be more hassle than they're worth when it comes to changing tires.

If you're planning to drive it frequently, the Cup 2R tires aren't the best option. The painted carbon fiber aero pieces will be easier to repair vs exposed carbon fiber should they get damaged (road debris, accidental curb bump, etc.). I'd also opt for the edge red brake calipers with Red Mist.
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
Hellcat_C8_Ryan (02-19-2024), rob62 (02-18-2024), ZRacerLE (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:29 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

Very few mods are worth buying solely to improve resale. In 3 - 5 years, Most of use expect the car will be worth less than we paid for it. The scarcity appears to be ending and the car market returning to historical norms. And cars that aren't garage queens depreciate faster. For a mod to be bought for resale, one has to assume the mod will return 100% or more of its value upon resale. Not many will do that. And that is before consider the interest (opportunity cost). The longer the holding period, the more value oriented the buyers become. They're buying 5 year old cars because that is all they can afford or they want to mod/beat them. A 1LZ with nothing else sell for almost as much value as higher optioned cars, yet the upfront investment for the highly optioned car is higher. In a for sale ad in 2029, a 2LZ is going to look like it has a lot of features. I doubt the carbon fiber trim and wheels will come close to returning their upfront cost.

The best advice for resale value preservation is look at color combos that are safe and popular. Ignore the prognosticators saying they hate this color or that exterior/interior combo. There are statistics on what color vettes sell new and what combos are selling. There are also stats on what colors seem to hold their resale value.

I buy what I want. I'm not going to spend over $125k and not get what I want to enjoy during my ownership. If my selections are suboptimal from a resale perspective, it may cost me the equivalent of an extra $100 per month to drive the car during my ownership. It's worth it to me.
OH THREE Z (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:32 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Different schools of thought here for sure. Looking at the C7Z Comps and Z07 add value. IMO someone who bought a 1LZ Z07 with comps is realizing the highest ROI of any spec of C7Z purchased. Note I’m not saying highest ask…. Rather current value vs MSRP. I’m not sure if that same recipe will play out 6 years down the road on the C8 Z but history does tend to repeat itself

5 years from now carbon fiber wheels might not net a good ROI…. 30 years might be a different story

Red mist is beautiful but it’s not a “safe” color. Trends come and go. Black, white and red will always be desirable…. Down the road rapid blue might (or might not) be looked at like brown is today…. Will red mist? Probably not but again, not the “safest” choice

i believe, at least in the 3-5 year term the high msrp cars will suffer the worst ROI. As things continue to normalize constrained options will likely become less constrained.

Good luck with your order.
Bald Guy (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 07:01 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb396
Prices already dropping, many new at msrp, and some have posted discounts on them. The days of making a profit on this car are over, or any production car for that matter. Get what ya want and count your blessings if you can get 75% of cost if you go to sell in a "few years".
don't believe the rumors. when a sales agreement shows up for a legit C8 Z06 listed below msrp I'll admit i am wrong. Don't go by the auto generated discounts on some dealer sites. They're nonsense.

I also think your 75% idea is completely shot. That's not happening with a C8 Z06 for a while. As has been posted in numerous places including this forum. They are still selling for well over msrp on average. Those buyers arent flocking to the site to brag they paid over msrp. Only those paying msrp (and many with trade ins which skew the deal).

The false hope of "this dealer won't give it to me at msrp like the forum says" is real.

Z07 car or a car with aero will bring the same above a non Z07 car in the end THAT you paid in msrp. Its the car itself that is holding the value. Not the option package unless it was bubblewrapped and a low number like the anniversary package cars.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:35 PM
LethalArrhythmia
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Like this, but with carbon wheels and black nacelles and top.
Here’s what I’ve gleaned after a Stingray and Z06 with different specs. I would get Z07, since it looks awesome and that is the biggest determinant of resale value right now. I probably wouldn’t do a red interior, as it’s a different shade of red than red mist, and it may look a little funky. I think red mist looks best with tan 2-tone, tan dipped, or all black with red stitching. If you do the alcantara inserts with red stitching you get an alcantara center console, too. If you leave the stitching white with Alcantara inserts the center console will be leather. They don’t make an Alcantara center console with white stitching, as far as I know. The different textures of the leather and alcantara break up the all black interior and adds some interesting elements. I would then pair that with level 1 carbon interior. Level 2 carbon interior makes the center console where you rest your arm a cold plastic feel, as opposed to the soft warmth of Alcantara or the in-between feel of leather. If you don’t do Alcantara and do 3LZ, the interior seems to have a stronger leather smell if all leather, which is nice. I would do the interior stealth package so the aluminum accents are toned down a bit. If doing convertible, consider black roof and nacelles; it will match the exterior black elements nicely; not required though. If doing coupe think about the carbon roof; would match the other exposed carbon well. I also prefer the carbon wheels because the spokes of those wheels match the arms of the door boomerang; much better than the spyder wheels. Those are my thoughts; happy ordering!
Old 02-18-2024, 08:49 PM
Propspinner
Pro

Received 737 Likes on 282 Posts

Thoughts on the best interior with red mist?

What seat do you have that was comfortable?

Scott
get the black with the added suede when you order the red contrast stitching. IWC I think is the code. You get added suede pieces that add a touch of luxury in my opinion
Hellcat_C8_Ryan (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 09:20 PM
MikeR397
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Like this, but with carbon wheels and black nacelles and top.
I’m one away from my order at my dealer and will be getting a red mist coupe 3lz, z07 carbon wheels / aero and level 2 interior with the red accents. I get everyone and there mother here says the reds don’t match, you can see in the photo they are a different shade, but so is edge red calipers and the red intake and that doesn’t stop all the torch red guys getting a near red mist intake…

I do think/agree with a HTC roof down you see more of the red inside against the darker body paint and it could put some off on resale (I don’t give a **** about that as this will be sold 8+ years later after 50 track days), but the two tone seats like in this photo are the only part you see of the interior red from the outside, and through a window up it’s pretty much impossible to tell in person they are different reds.

Carbon 2 interior removes a lot of red leather including the red dash part, so you get the seat sides (not full red seat), door cards, and lower dash part with red stitching. I think it looks fantastic. I’m over all black or all interiors and red stitch, had lots of cars like that and some color contrast inside makes it feel much higher end exotic to me. I’ve seen a few z06 in person with red mist and red accent interior and frankly I think most people wouldn’t even realize they are different reds, and inside with the door closed it’s a much more special interior to me. But like I said, some won’t agree with this, but I’m not buying the car for them.

eta: granted one of both of my seats are getting replaced by floor mounted race seat so I can fit with a helmet at 6’6”, so in my case none of the interior red is visible from the outside.

here is some pics of similar to what I’m gonna build I saw in a showroom. I’m not bothered on bit on the outside by the two reds, and inside it’s beautiful imho. I would have bought that car except for the $80k ADM at the time lol.

Last edited by MikeR397; 02-18-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:26 PM
Jridden
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 388 Posts

Buy what you want and enjoy it. Congrats on getting a build slot
Old 02-19-2024, 01:05 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Build what YOU want.

For a contrarian view, I would NEVER buy a black interior Corvette. I feel that the beauty and rarity of colorful interiors, even with monochromatic colors, is far more interesting and beautiful. Red Mist and Natural is a killer combination and I really love the look. The reveal prototype car that GM made back in 2021 was that combination and it still looks fantastic. As a historical index, rare color combinations with bright interiors (way down the road) will sell for multiples of a black/black one. The market prefers interesting over "safe" or non threatening.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:51 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 334 Likes on 141 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Did the new and used market just go down? I am not a car guy except for the C6Z06 and C8Z06.

Scott
I dont follow all makes, but I know many are sitting and/or losing serious value. My good friend is big into hellcats and TRX trucks, they have gone down big time, and dealers are sitting on them. The only one holding strong is the Demon, and they are very limited.
I am also into jeeps. I have seen gladiators advertised at 20k off sticker. I bought my wife a 392 wrangler, 3.5" metalcloak lift, 37's, laundry list of mods, a year ago you couldn't touch one of those for under 80, and most were 85-90. Seeing them all over for low 60's. My good friend just lost his *** on a 2022 BMW X5M on a trade for a range rover.
Our audi SQ7 was right at 100k 2 years ago, be lucky to get 55-60 out if now.
A Z07 car might hold it's value if production remains limited the next couple of years, but I truly feel a run of the mill z06 will lose value.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:41 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Propspinner
get the black with the added suede when you order the red contrast stitching. IWC I think is the code. You get added suede pieces that add a touch of luxury in my opinion
Yes this. Comp seats, sueded, with custom red stitching would add interest to the interior without the red bolsters clashing

The following 2 users liked this post by turbotuner20v:
Hellcat_C8_Ryan (02-19-2024), Propspinner (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:03 AM
jswatek
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 131 Posts

To lose the least money, the best thing is to buy the cheapest car. So 1LZ silver over black, no options.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,470 Likes on 792 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mine has the red/black and was a colour override. Comp seats with suede inserts. I thought it would clash with the red mist but it doesn't in my eyes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tally Ho:
Goose555 (02-20-2024), MikeR397 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:55 AM
XXXX
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

The lowest trim (1LZ) without any options (except PDR), in traditional Black, Red, White, or Blue will hold its value best. Stepping up to 2LZ/3LZ will lose more value, as will adding options.

Z07 package costs $18k which is 15% of a base 1LZ w/PDR.

Will future used Vette buyers be willing to spend an additional $18k for a Z07 equipped C8?
Old 02-19-2024, 05:04 PM
MikeR397
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Mine has the red/black and was a colour override. Comp seats with suede inserts. I thought it would clash with the red mist but it doesn't in my eyes.

looks good to me, and if you spec the carbon two Interjor the higher up dash red is replaced with carbon and instead they add more red leather to the door cards which also looks super sharp

Get notified of new replies

To Z06, Z07 resale.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:34 PM
Hellcat_C8_Ryan
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

There's been people on both sides of the opinion within this thread, so it's definitely a polarizing question, but I absolutely would NOT put the red interior in a red mist car. I think it clashes horribly and there's a reason it's a color override. It might not offend some, but many it will. If you have your heart set on red mist, on the interior I'd say black, natural, light grey, or maybe black with red stitching. I'd definitely stay away from the red though.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:02 PM
Scottfpv
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread starters build decisions. Any thoughts?

Keeps the lines with out clashing. But not too much color. Seats carry nacelle black through when top is down. Two tone 3LZ with stealth.

Didn't do zO7 or carbon wheels cause GM didn't back their carbon on the c7 and z07 tires don't last.

Probably not the best for resale, but I like it.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:18 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,608 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I would not do the C/F wheels IMO you are asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: Z06, Z07 resale.