Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Impressions from anyone coming from a 2019 ZR1 to C8 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 02:57 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 763 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Impressions from anyone coming from a 2019 ZR1 to C8 Z06

I'm purchasing a 2019 ZR1 and planning to drop off of the Z06 list after everything is finalized. Is anyone coming from a 2019 ZR1 to the C8 Z06? What will I be missing or gaining? There could always be one down the road if it is that much better. Thanks.

Popular Reply

12-18-2023, 10:02 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by George_L
I'm purchasing a 2019 ZR1 and planning to drop off of the Z06 list after everything is finalized. Is anyone coming from a 2019 ZR1 to the C8 Z06? What will I be missing or gaining? There could always be one down the road if it is that much better. Thanks.
Hi George,
I have 2 C7 ZR1's at present and back in August I bought a C8 Z06. I have considerable wheel time in the C7 ZR and would have more in my C8 Z06 if it wasn't in the shop for repair so much of the time, so I'm not the best person to ask about the C8Z because mine is a Lemon and I'll be selling it after the six month warrant restriction comes up next month. But I have enough time in both cars to tell you my opinion. The two cars are very different, and really diametrically opposed in many ways. One is rear engine the other front engine, different body architecture, and engine configuration, so they do present a very different driving experience. Although I can't say anything positive about the overall build quality of my C8Z, except for the interior which is very nice and comfortable, it handles like it's on rails, is fast, and has a real scream to the exhaust note at high rpm. However, I find driving the C7 ZR1 is a lot more fun: outrageous torque even at low rpm, instantaneous power on hand, and super fast! The C8 Z needs to build rpms to produce power and never approaches the G force rush that the C7ZR does as it crushes you on hard acceleration. And the roar of the C7 ZR's engine when pushed is unbelievable and sounds way better, in my opinion, than that weed wacker LT6 having to turn over 8000 rpm to get up and go. I let my Corvette friends drive both my C7 ZR1 and my C8Z and they all said they would take the C7 ZR over the C8Z in an instant. The C7 ZR really is a much more exhilarating and wilder ride with all that excess power at its disposal. As for engineering and build quality, both my C7's are superior. My ZR's are dependable, durable, well built and have never had a single issue, and yes, the body panels line up, that can't be said for my C8Z. And I know the C8Z fans are going to go nuts and say the C8Z handles so much better, and 0-60 hookup is so superior, bla, bla bla. Let me just say that both my ZRs have the full ZTK package and they handle amazingly well. For the driving most of us do, you're not going to notice much difference, if any, in that category, and acceleration at rolling highway speeds the C7 ZR is superior. If you want to go really fast in the C7 ZR just put the peddle halfway down and you'll go as fast as you want. Too fast! 755 HP speaks volumes of this cars capacity to move quickly and effortlessly even at triple digit speeds. There's a reason why the top speed of the C7 ZR is over 200 mph, you feel it when you drive it. Nothing like it that I've experienced and that certainly can't be said for the C8Z. Buy the C7 ZR1 you'll be happy and trouble free.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:08 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I think @danm1 has both and prefers the Zr1, and think at @Cajun TurboZ is going from C8Z to ZR1. Perhaps they can help. Really think it is going to be depend on if you prefer the more "traditional" Corvette or a more "modern" and "exotic"( I use those words in quotes because while new for Corvette, mid engine and Flat Palnes are not new to the rest of the world). Two very different ways to achieve a similar objective, so one individual's preference might be very different than someone else's.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:15 PM
oaktreebc
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 197 Posts

Take it for what it is because its nothing you haven't heard.

My neighbor has a ZR1 ZTK package, was an amateur race car driver and after driving my Z06 this summer said, its a better drivers car in every way. First and foremost was handling/stability, he said it felt planted and grounded, much better than his ZR1. Clearly the interior is a step up in this generation. Different was power delivery, the ZR1 power is next level (torque) BUT he said it overpowers the tires at a whim. "The Z06 just connects and goes". Either will be a fun ride.
The following 7 users liked this post by oaktreebc:
BearZ06 (12-19-2023), c7gsmike (12-18-2023), foreverfuelie (12-19-2023), hardhattg (12-19-2023), Jwalker3rd (12-19-2023), Zed Sled (12-19-2023), Zerofun (12-21-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:48 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,081 Likes on 908 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by oaktreebc
Take it for what it is because its nothing you haven't heard.

My neighbor has a ZR1 ZTK package, was an amateur race car driver and after driving my Z06 this summer said, its a better drivers car in every way. First and foremost was handling/stability, he said it felt planted and grounded, much better than his ZR1. Clearly the interior is a step up in this generation. Different was power delivery, the ZR1 power is next level (torque) BUT he said it overpowers the tires at a whim. "The Z06 just connects and goes". Either will be a fun ride.
This is very similar to my experience as well. For the record I did NOT have a C7 ZR1, but a highly modified C7 Grandsport with a SC what was producing over 800hp.

let’s face it we ALL love HP and 5 of my 7 Corevettes have all been modified pretty heavily with my C5 Z06 coming in at over 900hp. I say that because if we are all going to be honest there comes a point and time that a certain level of HP is nothing more than bragging rights at CC or for the 5 second highway pulls. The advantage of having a NA FPC Engine is that torque does not come on instantly…but it just keeps pulling and pulling. A very different experience and IMO really unquestionably easier to extract the power out of the car whether on the street or track.

Not exactly apples to apples but my base 495hp C8 was turning almost exact AutoX times as my highly modified C7. Now granted AutoX is not the same as big tracks but the C8 was equally as fun but definitely easy to drive. In my C7 I felt like I was always a millisecond from overpowering the tires but the C8 is much more predictable. That is not good or bad just depends on what you think is more fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nitro-C5:
Sergio8A (04-22-2024), Zed Sled (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 06:08 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input. I never doubted that the C8 would be/is a better platform for going fast and getting the power down. I'm also looking for the more intangibles like sound in the car, driving around within the speed limit, going to C&C, driving fun under non-track conditions, etc.. I doubt I will ever track this car or the C8 Z06 for that matter as the price of tracking these heavy, expensive cars is high and the fact that I want to maintain the ZR1's value. My decision was made after riding in my friend's C8 Z06/Z07 and also his ZR1. First, I like the exclusivity of the ZR1 (it took 2 years to see one in person and I have seen many Z06's and even 3 Z07's in my area). Second, after riding in the two cars, the ZR1 feels like a loud, unchained monster while the Z06 was very refined and surprisingly quiet inside (windows were up and exhaust on loud) in around town driving. The Z06 engine sings at high RPM's and the sound is amazing. I don't do trips in my 2 seaters because I always have too many people so it will be mostly driving around town and back country roads. If I was using the car for trips or as a DD the Z06 would win hands down. I love the comfort, the interior design, the engine and the exotic looks. What is your experience in these situations?
Old 12-18-2023, 08:48 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

The FPC does produce more vibration than the CPC LT5. Some people might like the smoother drivetrain, especially on the street. GM even transported a platform during the C8 Z06 reveal to demonstrate the FPC experience. If you like Cadillac smoothness you won't like the LT6.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:55 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

I have 2 friends with ‘19 ZR1s both autos. I can leave them on the curves but they can pass me easily on high speed straights. The extra HP of the ZR1 and poor gearing of the Z06 unfortunately make the Z06 uncompetitive from a roll against the ZR1. I love my Z06 but the ZR1 is still the high horsepower high speed king.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:02 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by George_L
Hi George,
I have 2 C7 ZR1's at present and back in August I bought a C8 Z06. I have considerable wheel time in the C7 ZR and would have more in my C8 Z06 if it wasn't in the shop for repair so much of the time, so I'm not the best person to ask about the C8Z because mine is a Lemon and I'll be selling it after the six month warrant restriction comes up next month. But I have enough time in both cars to tell you my opinion. The two cars are very different, and really diametrically opposed in many ways. One is rear engine the other front engine, different body architecture, and engine configuration, so they do present a very different driving experience. Although I can't say anything positive about the overall build quality of my C8Z, except for the interior which is very nice and comfortable, it handles like it's on rails, is fast, and has a real scream to the exhaust note at high rpm. However, I find driving the C7 ZR1 is a lot more fun: outrageous torque even at low rpm, instantaneous power on hand, and super fast! The C8 Z needs to build rpms to produce power and never approaches the G force rush that the C7ZR does as it crushes you on hard acceleration. And the roar of the C7 ZR's engine when pushed is unbelievable and sounds way better, in my opinion, than that weed wacker LT6 having to turn over 8000 rpm to get up and go. I let my Corvette friends drive both my C7 ZR1 and my C8Z and they all said they would take the C7 ZR over the C8Z in an instant. The C7 ZR really is a much more exhilarating and wilder ride with all that excess power at its disposal. As for engineering and build quality, both my C7's are superior. My ZR's are dependable, durable, well built and have never had a single issue, and yes, the body panels line up, that can't be said for my C8Z. And I know the C8Z fans are going to go nuts and say the C8Z handles so much better, and 0-60 hookup is so superior, bla, bla bla. Let me just say that both my ZRs have the full ZTK package and they handle amazingly well. For the driving most of us do, you're not going to notice much difference, if any, in that category, and acceleration at rolling highway speeds the C7 ZR is superior. If you want to go really fast in the C7 ZR just put the peddle halfway down and you'll go as fast as you want. Too fast! 755 HP speaks volumes of this cars capacity to move quickly and effortlessly even at triple digit speeds. There's a reason why the top speed of the C7 ZR is over 200 mph, you feel it when you drive it. Nothing like it that I've experienced and that certainly can't be said for the C8Z. Buy the C7 ZR1 you'll be happy and trouble free.
The following 9 users liked this post by danm1:
Basil2000 (12-19-2023), ffr1352 (12-19-2023), GTE (12-19-2023), nrbc7 (12-25-2023), Ragtop 99 (12-19-2023), range96 (12-19-2023), RiptideHTC (12-19-2023), Themoj0 (12-18-2023), ZMMMMM (12-25-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:48 AM
RiptideHTC
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
Hi George,
More proof of what the smart people here have already known for years.
The C8 ZO6 should have got a LT5 and a $80k MSRP.
All we can hope for now is a cross plane crank twin turbo ZR1 with a C8 ZO6 price.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:30 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

I had two, the biggest problem with the C7 ZR1 was traction, they were both manuals and really fun to drive, C8 traction is so much better
Old 12-19-2023, 07:09 AM
Wideopen1968
2nd Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Default 1019 ZR1 the King VS 2024 C8Z06 challenger

I currently own a CMG 2019 ZR1 3LZ ZTK and a Torch red 2024 C8 Z06 HTC.
the two cars are very very different.
ZR1: I currently have 30k miles on the car, have made numerous track days with the car. Along with lots of spirited mountain driving, like tail of the dragon, car shows and coffee and octane events.
The car is beautiful and get lots of attention when I drive it. The car has so much beautiful exposed carbon fiber. The lines are so sexy, and I have loved it since day one.
performance wise the car is a beast and is so fun to drive, but can put you in your place if you get stupid. If you turn off all the traction controls, I have literally broken traction on a cold day at 100mph. Laughing the car from a dig is challenging to say the least. Leave traction management onset launch control and it’s fun. You can make adjustments to make it better depending on surface, but she is a spinner for sure. Care has never been in the shop for anything other than a recall or routine maintenance and the only mods are GM racing cold air intake and Corsa Catless xpipe.

Z06: totally different car, it is literally stuck to the road. It gives you so much confidence that you can push it harder and harder. I was worried about the torque numbers, but it revs so quickly I’ve never noticed.
smile factor, every single time you sit in the car and crank it you instantly smile.
this is the only car that sometimes I just have to go out in the garage and crank it to get the sound.
interior, the interior updates and electronics updates are absolutely amazing and make the ZR1 seem so old.
DTC transmission, I was told by my dealer that the 2024 DTC had multiple improvements and programming over the 2023 to fix past issues. All I can say is it’s the strangest transmission you have ever driven and by far one of the best. It shifts so fast with zero slipping. I have practiced and experienced with launch control which is a lot better with more adjustments that the ZR1. So far the best 0-60 is 2.4, she is quick.
everyone has their own opinions and things that make them happy.
I personally prefer the Z06 over the ZR1. I get so much more thrill factor and smile factor.

The following 8 users liked this post by Wideopen1968:
BearZ06 (12-19-2023), EvanZR1 (12-31-2023), GTE (12-19-2023), PHILLIP YOUNG (12-19-2023), Racingswh (12-19-2023), Ragtop 99 (12-19-2023), Zed Sled (12-19-2023), ZMMMMM (12-25-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2023, 07:36 AM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Thank you everyone. These are the exact types of information I'm looking for. Great car pictures also. It looks like I can't go wrong with either choice. Maybe I will drive this for a couple of years and then move on to a Z06. Some low mileage options should be available by then, or maybe I will still be in love with the ZR1. It's always good to have options.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:38 AM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Carl, what wheels are those on your ZR1? They look amazing with the Sebring Orange.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:10 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,079 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Wideopen1968
I currently own a CMG 2019 ZR1 3LZ ZTK and a Torch red 2024 C8 Z06 HTC.
the two cars are very very different.
ZR1: I currently have 30k miles on the car, have made numerous track days with the car. Along with lots of spirited mountain driving, like tail of the dragon, car shows and coffee and octane events.
The car is beautiful and get lots of attention when I drive it. The car has so much beautiful exposed carbon fiber. The lines are so sexy, and I have loved it since day one.
performance wise the car is a beast and is so fun to drive, but can put you in your place if you get stupid. If you turn off all the traction controls, I have literally broken traction on a cold day at 100mph. Laughing the car from a dig is challenging to say the least. Leave traction management onset launch control and it’s fun. You can make adjustments to make it better depending on surface, but she is a spinner for sure. Care has never been in the shop for anything other than a recall or routine maintenance and the only mods are GM racing cold air intake and Corsa Catless xpipe.

Z06: totally different car, it is literally stuck to the road. It gives you so much confidence that you can push it harder and harder. I was worried about the torque numbers, but it revs so quickly I’ve never noticed.
smile factor, every single time you sit in the car and crank it you instantly smile.
this is the only car that sometimes I just have to go out in the garage and crank it to get the sound.
interior, the interior updates and electronics updates are absolutely amazing and make the ZR1 seem so old.
DTC transmission, I was told by my dealer that the 2024 DTC had multiple improvements and programming over the 2023 to fix past issues. All I can say is it’s the strangest transmission you have ever driven and by far one of the best. It shifts so fast with zero slipping. I have practiced and experienced with launch control which is a lot better with more adjustments that the ZR1. So far the best 0-60 is 2.4, she is quick.
everyone has their own opinions and things that make them happy.
I personally prefer the Z06 over the ZR1. I get so much more thrill factor and smile factor.

I enjoyed reading this. Both cars are quite beautiful. Impressive how much time you have spent in your ZR1!!

I trust you will continue to enjoy your cars to the fullest! Happy Holidays!
The following 2 users liked this post by Racingswh:
Ramv (12-19-2023), Shinobi'sZ (04-23-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions from anyone coming from a 2019 ZR1 to C8 Z06

Quick Reply: Impressions from anyone coming from a 2019 ZR1 to C8 Z06