Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Let's compare quality between the C8 Z06 to the Porsche GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 02:23 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by 416vette
Have you ever owned or drive a Porsche 911, let alone a Porsche GT product?. Trying to convince others that a Porsche 911 is a VW Beetle is silly....
You should be singing the praises for the c8 FPC z06, instead you're here trying to diminish a brand that you don't care for..... bizarre.

PS. Porsche owners don't care about trolling corvette forums... It may shock you to believe this, but they may actually be on the forum because of interest in the platform..
======================================== ======================================== ===============
YOU NAILED it 100% . Rale agnostic car enthusiasts give credit and Kudos when excellent sports cars are released. I SEE and HEAR seriously biased sports car OWNERS and brand-only loyalists and HATERS all the time. ONLY 1 brand of Car and everything else is not even considered and or ridiculed. Unfortunately, its like todays USA politics with Republicans and Democrats. No one gives each other any credit regardless.

BUT in reality Porsche made some lousy sports cars/ cars over all the years. But the exact same logic can be said for certain poorly designed faulty Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mclaren, BMW, Mercedes and Corvette cars.

The good news is continual improvement and as all the Sports car Buy and Examine , Sample each others current designs we can GUYS/GALS get better and more dynamic cars to race, drive and enjoy.

MEANWHILE- looking forward to the Rolex 24 at Daytona and the ROAR before the 24! Get to see and hear all the GT3/ GTD race teams that FLEW in from all parts of the planet testing, prepping, sand-baggin, and blitzing the course. This year Im going to the Roar and like seeing all the action. Often the proven Racing development systems and components trickle down to the cars we buy at our dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joefab:
416vette (01-05-2024), 64drvr (01-07-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:37 PM
416vette
Burning Brakes

Received 771 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by improviz
Actually, if you would bother to go back and read my post, I was saying that Porsches are great cars and are brilliantly engineered, in which I made point of the huge accomplishments the vehicles have made considering their humble VW-derived roots. This seemed to bother this guy, who promptly set on me as though I had said it was a direct copy of a VW Beetle, which of course I never said, nordid I ever say that “a Porsche 911 is a VW Beetle” as you’re dishonestly and bizarrely claiming.
I read it as "that guy" pointed out the obvious that GT3/RS owners aren't really considering price as a mitigating factor. They know the platform and are willing to pay for it. "He", even provided an example..
"You" came out with your page long post to highlight that it's simply due to marketing for a platform originally derived from the Beetle... Those words speak as someone who has never driven the platform.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:54 PM
improviz
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

I read it as "that guy" pointed out the obvious that GT3/RS owners aren't really considering price as a mitigating factor. They know the platform and are willing to pay for it. "He", even provided an example..
"You" came out with your page long post to highlight that it's simply due to marketing for a platform originally derived from the Beetle... Those words speak as someone who has never driven the platform.
What a load of horsecrap. I said that Porsche has used a combination of great engineering AND brilliant marketing to gain status that makes people like you obviously covet them, and I hope you get what you’re after what you get one. To pick one phrase out of context as you’re doing here speaks to your obvious biases.

The fact is that after owning three AMGs I was looking at a 4th (the AMG GT) And different 911 variants that I was going back and forth on when the C8 came out and blindsided me, and I located one, took a chance knowing I could sell it for a profit if I didn’t love it, and the rest is history, Z06 after that. It’s never been about the badge with me, it’s about performance, quality, looks, livability, and VALUE. If I felt the AMG GT or 911 were better in all of these qualities, I’d have one in my garage, period. But I’m NOT going to be marketed into getting one, that’s for damn sure.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:03 PM
416vette
Burning Brakes

Received 771 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by improviz
What a load of horsecrap. I said that Porsche has used a combination of great engineering AND brilliant marketing to gain status that makes people like you obviously covet them, and I hope you get what you’re after what you get one. To pick one phrase out of context as you’re doing here speaks to your obvious biases.

The fact is that after owning three AMGs I was looking at a 4th (the AMG GT) And different 911 variants that I was going back and forth on when the C8 came out and blindsided me, and I located one, took a chance knowing I could sell it for a profit if I didn’t love it, and the rest is history, Z06 after that. It’s never been about the badge with me, it’s about performance, quality, looks, livability, and VALUE. If I felt the AMG GT or 911 were better in all of these qualities, I’d have one in my garage, period. But I’m NOT going to be marketed into getting one, that’s for damn sure.
Easier to have said that you haven't ever driven a 911 or GT product.
You will continue to convince yourself it's all marketing until you get behind the wheel...
The following 3 users liked this post by 416vette:
d16dcoe45 (01-06-2024), redzone (01-05-2024), TARANTULA (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:27 PM
improviz
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Easier to have said that you haven't ever driven a 911 or GT product.
You will continue to convince yourself it's all marketing until you get behind the wheel...
Lol…dude, you are in a whole ‘nuther world of cluelessness, have never met me, and know nothing about me. I’ll leave you and your hyper narcissistic personality to yourselves, buh-bye.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:32 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 277 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

:beatdeadh orse: Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, MB, Mclaren, Corvette, NONE of them are perfect... They ALL have had, and continue to have, issues.... Any reasonable 'car guy' can see that the C8 and C8 Z06 represent an incredible value when compared against 'the competition'.... There are disgruntled owners of all of the above brands that were the 'unlucky' ones and many whom have had little to no problems, again, with all brands, including corvette. The C4, C5, and C6 interiors were all a joke compared to the competition at the time, but they were also priced far more reasonably. The interior of the C7 was a huge step forward, and the C8 is even better, it really was one of the last obvious issues and in most car enthusiasts and professional reviews opinions, is worlds better than it use to be... The competitive advantage GM enjoys is there ability to sell a far greater number or cars and therefore negotiate far better prices from the suppliers, whom, in many cases, supply to all brands. The plant in BG is now state of the art compared to years past. Are there still issues - of course... it is true of any mass produced car. From an attainability and maintenance stand point, the other brands mentioned are exponentially more expensive. Can't we just all acknowledge that competition is good? We are at the end of the golden era of the ICE age, why all the butt hurt, and my d*** is bigger/better than yours nonsense? What are we, 12 years old? Although I personally have always loved and owned corvettes, I certainly can appreciate the exotics even if I can't afford them. As to the fanboy fanatics of ANY brand, go ahead and believe 'nothing compares' to this or that, and that your quality is "so much better".... the fact is - they do compare - and in almost all instances - quite favorably... I guess threads like this one will never die because people feel the need to justify their opinions and values as 'the right ones'.... Please - grow up....
Old 01-06-2024, 05:04 PM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
No. I don't see that. Turbo S has much more power than a GT3. ERay has no more power than a Z06, and when the battery is dead, a lot less.
That's true. The eRay does not have a comparable speed upgrade over the Z06 the way that the Turbo S does over the GT3. I guess I was focusing on the fact that the GT3 is more track oriented than the Turbo S, in the same way the Z06 is more track focused than the eRay.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:08 PM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
the answer? No.

the turbo s would annihilate both the eray and the z06, in a straight line that is. On the track z06 should be faster.

unless you mean a gm equivalent to turbo s. Then if that’s the case perhaps.
Oh, ya. A direct competition would be an annihilation. I just meant that the eRay is an AWD GT sports car in the same way that the Turbo S is. Its a pretty good substitute at half the cost.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:25 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

We are off base for the quality comparison of Z06 to GT3……….now we are on to pure speed and fast. If anyone wants to go really really fast under any and all conditions with reliable Blitzkrieg speed a Porsche 992 Twin Turbo S is a proven reliable beast of a sportscar. Not being a Pcar fan boy/booster but after 30+ years of designing racing 911 Twin Turbos Porsche makes a very very fast doitall sportscar . Hell with a set of fabspeed headers, HJS German racing cats and an ECU tune , boost hoses the car will be running mid 9 second ETs on 93 pump fuel. If you want even more and look for 8s send the twin turbochargers out for machining and billet 5 axiis snails a set of large racing billet intercoolers and sone E85 or meth injection ………its a 4 wheel drive drag racing star with launch control that doesn’t break.

For me personally ive owned and built and sampled so many of these at Fabspeed.com id rather drive a C8 Z06 spider and a GT3 with proven performance enhancements as the Sports car sound and visceral dynamic sound track of the normally aspirated flat plane 4 valved V8 winding to redline and similarly a 4.0 liter flat-six running to 9000 s is Epic and never gets old. Personally id rather have the Z06 and GT3. Cant really justify a Ferrari 812 Superfast and even if i did i would be worried about high-mileage disease and breakage. The Porsche 911 twin turbos are the Swiss Army knives of Speed “.
The following users liked this post:
64drvr (01-07-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 09:04 PM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 522 Posts

Can you translate that for us lay people? At least first paragraph.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:55 AM
jswatek
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 129 Posts

I think he's saying it's hard to beat a 992 TTS. They are very fast and have the potential to be modded for even more performance. I agree.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:47 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I have driven and owned both products with over 60 high-end sports cars + I am not loyal to any brand. This is GT3 compared to Z06 truly not sure why it matters but it’s my opinion.I was able to drive them both back to back a few months ago.

C8 Z06: Unbelievable achievement for GM, or any high production car manufacturer during forced government EV & induction/turbo EPA regulations. This engine should not exist and let me point out doesn't with any other manufacturer, Audi V10 is gone and no other car manufacturer other than Porsche is making NA high rev motors, none come close in HP compared to the Z06 v8. I can’t believe GM made it and the leadership at GM approved it. I question how long they will be allowed to produce it as we get closer to more regulations. The Z06 C8 is not a gorgeous sports car meaning not everyone says wow unbelievable looking car. Think the 458/488 Ferrari is a beautiful sports car not sure why GM had to make it look more controversial but having a large trunk in the back doesn’t help. I do feel the Z06 looks much better than my 2020 C8 Z51. The z06 wider back helps compared to the base C8.

Quality; The interior is better than any other GM product on the market but is still short when comparing it to Porsche. The turn signal stick feels cheap and so do some other switch gear in comparison. The exterior panels are made of plastic composite on the Vette and it makes it harder to align the panel gap and make it perfect. Porsche has advantages being aluminum and carbon fiber plus being German engineered as they are obsessed about the details at a level of crazy.

Driver feel. The Porsche GT3/RS feels a lot smaller than the Z06, not sure why it just does which gives me more confidence when pushing the car into corners or just driving around town. Every piece of the Porsche feels so tightly put together it’s hard to describe unless you take one out on a track or road. The Z06 is better than any vette feels bigger and a little more loose in comparison, not a bad thing just different. The DCT in the Porsche is better and feels like it is connected to your brain & the car at the same time. Porsche has had advantages in this area since Porsche began the development of DCTs for racing cars in the late 1970s. Engines are completely different animals Z06 has so much power but the Z is about 400 lbs more and you can feel it, weight kills feel it just does. The Porsche motor is down on power in comparison but feels tight in the Porsche chassis with that incredible DCT.

IMO I give the Porsche the Edge but it’s not a landslide by no means, the C8 Z06 is an unbelievably crazy machine. Faster in straight line and even on the track with equivalent drivers. I still can’t believe GM made the car & this motor wow for those who want one better get it before we can’t get them anymore.

‘’Best video from a true car enthusiast Jason who describes the Z-6 perfectly. This will make Z06 fans proud.

Last edited by fasttoys; 01-07-2024 at 09:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fasttoys:
416vette (01-07-2024), Joefab (01-07-2024), Sweetness34 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:03 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I have driven and owned both products with over 60 high-end sports cars + I am not loyal to any brand. This is GT3 compared to Z06 truly not sure why it matters but it’s my opinion.I was able to drive them both back to back a few months ago.

C8 Z06: Unbelievable achievement for GM, or any high production car manufacturer during forced government EV & induction/turbo EPA regulations. This engine should not exist and let me point out doesn't with any other manufacturer, Audi V10 is gone and no other car manufacturer other than Porsche is making NA high rev motors, none come close in HP compared to the Z06 v8. I can’t believe GM made it and the leadership at GM approved it. I question how long they will be allowed to produce it as we get closer to more regulations. The Z06 C8 is not a gorgeous sports car meaning not everyone says wow unbelievable looking car. Think the 458/488 Ferrari is a beautiful sports car not sure why GM had to make it look more controversial but having a large trunk in the back doesn’t help. I do feel the Z06 looks much better than my 2020 C8 Z51. The z06 wider back helps compared to the base C8.

Quality; The interior is better than any other GM product on the market but is still short when comparing it to Porsche. The turn signal stick feels cheap and so do some other switch gear in comparison. The exterior panels are made of plastic composite on the Vette and it makes it harder to align the panel gap and make it perfect. Porsche has advantages being aluminum and carbon fiber plus being German engineered as they are obsessed about the details at a level of crazy.

Driver feel. The Porsche GT3/RS feels a lot smaller than the Z06, not sure why it just does which gives me more confidence when pushing the car into corners or just driving around town. Every piece of the Porsche feels so tightly put together it’s hard to describe unless you take one out on a track or road. The Z06 is better than any vette feels bigger and a little more loose in comparison, not a bad thing just different. The DCT in the Porsche is better and feels like it is connected to your brain & the car at the same time. Porsche has had advantages in this area since Porsche began the development of DCTs for racing cars in the late 1970s. Engines are completely different animals Z06 has so much power but the Z is about 400 lbs more and you can feel it, weight kills feel it just does. The Porsche motor is down on power in comparison but feels tight in the Porsche chassis with that incredible DCT.

IMO I give the Porsche the Edge but it’s not a landslide by no means, the C8 Z06 is an unbelievably crazy machine. Faster in straight line and even on the track with equivalent drivers. I still can’t believe GM made the car & this motor wow for those who want one better get it before we can’t get them anymore.

‘’Best video from a true car enthusiast Jason who describes the Z-6 perfectly. This will make Z06 fans proud.
https://youtu.be/aXdwnA7RyZ0?si=kIHnXoMXbI2v_Q_l
the big difference in “tightly put together” you feel is because the Porsche has much less flex in every bushing. The corvette is built to be supple on the streets first while still fast on track. The gt3 is opposite. Built to be fast on track first. Everything from control arm bushings, transmission mounts, motor mounts, etc.
The following 4 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
23/C8Z (01-07-2024), 24HLEMANSWIN (01-07-2024), fasttoys (01-07-2024), vrybad (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:44 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I don’t disagree with what you noticed in the damage on your car. I have worked on many fiberglass bodies in my days, but if I did not say composites which is the word used today I was trying to cover all categories I would have been trashed. Fiberglass panels is not the same anymore many plastics and other higher end materials used in it. GM calls it SMC as to call it fiberglass would be incorrect since composite makes up a big portion of the panels. My Lotus GT was made of Fiberglass/composite.

It is safe to assume that the C8 body panels will be made of the same materials that were currently used for the C7. These are:

1) Sheet Molded Composite (SMC)
2) Carbon Fiber
3) Plastics

Continental Structural Plastics is the supplier of the SMC body panels that are used on the C7 and will continue to supply SMC body panels for the C8 according to information that became available in 2016 when the Huntington County Tab revealed details pertinent to the Next Generation Corvette related to the expansion of the CSP Huntington Plant. http://www.huntingtoncountytab.com/c...-two-new-lines

The process employed in producing the SMC body panels can be seen in the following video from CSP.

Last edited by fasttoys; 01-07-2024 at 11:01 AM.
24HLEMANSWIN (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 12:55 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
It's all denial then.

It's really more of a "when" situation, than "if" when it comes to C8 ownership.

C8's are not like corvettes of the past. Never once have i worried about my C7Z leaving me stranded, or a CEL popping up, or anything like that.

Each time i get in the C8Z i wonder will it be that day. And as soon as i start the car i immediately look to the right of the cluster to see if i'll be greeted with a CEL lol.
Precisely why I just got rid of my C8Z. Not only was mine problematic to the point it just became unpleasant to own, I lost confidence in the car and would not take it on long road trips fearing a major breakdown, I would only drive it around town, basically the car was a waste, so I parted ways with it.
64drvr (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 01:34 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,775 Likes on 3,184 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
Precisely why I just got rid of my C8Z. Not only was mine problematic to the point it just became unpleasant to own, I lost confidence in the car and would not take it on long road trips fearing a major breakdown, I would only drive it around town, basically the car was a waste, so I parted ways with it.
so glad to hear that! It must be a weight off your shoulders. Best of luck with your vehicles. Nothing worse than getting a lemon.
64drvr (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 06:14 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

The new Z06 is really well put together and ive been in about 12 C8 Z06 cars and 20+ Z51 cars at my shop. Mclaren cars are fast and fragile ive owned several of those and dont have one now as they don’t sound as good as the Z06 or GT3 or GT4RS. The Porsche GT cars are solidly built but have issues too as do all cars.

You boys want to hear of a Porsche GT3/GT4RS “Achilles heel”………i own both cars currently …….the crazy Germans in their obsessive maniacle QUEST for NUBURGHRING SPEED and LIGHT WEIGHT…….changed all the engine oil reservoirs from RACE PROVEN light weight 304 stainless steel that Porsche has employed on all Porsche twin turbos , GT3s, GT2, and water cooled cars . Porsche used RACE PROVEN black painted steel on all the air-cooled cars for over 30+ years. Recently , Porsche switch the main engine oil tank to BLACK PLASTIC with epoxy seams or plastic welded seams.

Both of my cars had to go in for incessant oil leaks (despite engine ground effects air diffusers - enough oil seeped through) and have ENGINE OUT oil tank replacement ………….with another “black plastic oil tank” . Fortunately covered by warranty now …………but “hello Frank & Hans “ what did you save 1 pound or 1/2 kilogram at the lowest point on a Racing engine that 6” off the ground. I should CAD design a lightweight t304 or titanium replacement oil reservoir for sale!

Bottom-line Ferrari Corvette Lambo, Porsche all make great cars with minor and major “mistakes” from time to time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joefab:
CorvettoBrando (01-08-2024), improviz (01-08-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Let's compare quality between the C8 Z06 to the Porsche GT3

Old 01-07-2024, 06:52 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,775 Likes on 3,184 Posts

Joe. You speak sacrilegiously about a P car there
Old 01-08-2024, 08:09 AM
jswatek
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 129 Posts

The GT3 is awesome because you can get a manual. Can you imagine how awesome the Z06 would be with a really good manual transmission? That would be perfection for me.
The following 4 users liked this post by jswatek:
416vette (01-08-2024), 64drvr (01-08-2024), RapidC84B (01-08-2024), undecided1965 (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:31 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 285 Posts
Default It's all the covid relief funds

Originally Posted by Joefab
Since you are talking about Corvette prices versus Porsche here is some recent market data:

If anyone wants a 992 GT3, 992 GT3 RS or any Porsche GT car …….big big ADM is reality. The only guys getting new Porsche GT cars at factory window sticker are 1st original 918 Spyder buyers and a few lucky buyers that dealers sell at MSRP. Even if someone tells you they bought at Window most are embarrassed as they paid significantly over window sticker are bragging about their strong buying and savvy relationships.

It’s bizarre ……..992 GT3 RS allocations are trading at $100,000 to easy $150,000 plus from reliable sources. Dealers are shipping cars to Highest Bidders.

ITS gets even more bizzare (i know this is a Corvette forum and you “guys are car guys” so I am simply conveying intell) Porsche 911 S/T , essentially 992 GT3 RS remade revised in a super lightweight Touring NO front and rear Wings spoilers as a manual transmission ONLY model. The S/Ts are $290,000 base price and with options you can easily go over $350,000. GET this buyers are bidding an extra $250,000 to $300K+ to get one of these ……pure insanity.

All that being said when the C8ZR1 debuts there will be a Feeding Frenzy and if they ever offer a C8Z06 GT3 IMSA pro street car………I can easily see serious Corvette collectors and buyers paying 150,000 to 200,000 for a rare C8Z06 GT3 race car street car “can you believe that corvette racing actually did it and sold it!!

I paid over for my C8Z06 but it was reasonable. The C8Z06 is in my opinion certainly worth more than sticker. I have a couple customers 1st on their Porsche dealer lists for 992.2 GT2 RS. The 992.2 GT2RS will typically launch a media frenzy when Porsche 1st sets a ridiculously fast Blitzkrieg time at the Nordschlelfei with the factory race team and Pro driver and then a walk around. All this is good news for car enthusiasts as GM Corvette engineering, Mclaren, Mercedes, Lamborghini take note and develop even sharper unnecessary fast weapons for us faithful!
Helicopter money and the flipper generation...

Quick Reply: Let's compare quality between the C8 Z06 to the Porsche GT3