Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06 Flipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 04:48 PM
alekscpi
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Z06 Flipping

I'm looking to buy a C8 Z06 that is being "flipped" before that 6month window Chevy made the original owner sign. He claims not to have intended to flip and isn't really price gouging so I'm believing his story but that isn't important for this question.

How is Chevy finding out that a sale took place in the 6 month window? Are they requesting info for every VIN sold from the registered State at 6months? Is it a manual process, if so what is triggering them to look at a specific car/buyer? Is it an automated process? Anyone have actual facts other than guesses? Anyone buy a "flipped" car and it was flagged and lost warranty?

Popular Reply

12-09-2023, 08:54 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

GM knows every time the vehicle title changes. They have to keep this information in order to track the vehicle for potential recalls. This information is available to them from the State DMV's and is computerized so as to change the ownership within their system. It is really not a mystery or earth shaking and has been going on for decades.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:52 PM
RFS-Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 67 Posts

I would assume the first buyers info is entered into the computer system and anytime that VIN #’d car comes in They will know.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:59 PM
alekscpi
Racer

Doesn't make sense - anyone can bring car in for service doesn't need to be owner.
Originally Posted by RFS-Z06
I would assume the first buyers info is entered into the computer system and anytime that VIN #’d car comes in They will know.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:59 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 888 Likes on 500 Posts

One item which is constant and factual on Carfax are dates when vehicles exchange hands. A GM service department can also do a search on the vin #'s history events.

George
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:02 PM
alekscpi
Racer

Service dept has more incentive to do warranty work and not looking vehicle carfax to then possible lose the work since customer with no warranty might take car elsewhere. Also seems very manual and super easy to work around if that is how Chevy plans to void warranty.

Originally Posted by 1 STING
One item which is constant and factual on Carfax are dates when vehicles exchange hands. A GM service department can do a search on the vin #'s history events.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,766 Likes on 3,179 Posts

You'd have to pay cash for it and not register the car until the 6mos is up. So you'd own it but not that anyone would know.

I don't know of another way to do it.

So if this guy owes money on the car there's going to be a record of it somewhere gm could potentially find it.

It's not worth it imho friend.

6mos old Z06s are out there and im sure plenty in a spec close to or exactly what you want.
The following 6 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
dale fehrenbach (12-08-2023), Hellcat_C8_Ryan (04-15-2024), Landru (12-09-2023), m2man (12-10-2023), MAXXPSI (04-13-2024), Zymphony06 (12-10-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:11 PM
alekscpi
Racer

I figured worst case we would make the sale and he pays off his loan hands me title and car and then its on me to register it or not. No way Chevy knows anything until i register it but again my question is how will they know i registered it. Are they monthly going through every z06 younger than 6 months and pulling carfax report, or state record? If so, who at Chevy is doing that a Corp team, selling dealer etc?
Hellcat_C8_Ryan (04-15-2024)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:12 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 788 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Figure out a way to delay the purchase, no warranty could become a very regrettable situation. Don't count on GM not knowing or not finding out.
The following 6 users liked this post by BearZ06:
dale fehrenbach (12-08-2023), Fast Dawg (12-09-2023), Landru (12-09-2023), MAXXPSI (04-13-2024), speedjuno (04-13-2024), Undy (12-09-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:13 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,766 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by alekscpi
I figured worst case we would make the sale and he pays off his loan hands me title and car and then its on me to register it or not. No way Chevy knows anything until i register it but again my question is how will they know i registered it. Are they monthly going through every z06 younger than 6 months and pulling carfax report, or state record? If so, who at Chevy is doing that a Corp team, selling dealer etc?
what my salesman told me is at the 6mos mark they are checking through vin to see if original owner still has the car. Then awarding the 500k in points for 23 owners.

I guess for 24 without the points they are doing same process? Or when you go to get warranty work maybe they're asking when you purchased the car and going off the honor system?

Ask a chevy dealer near you.

It's pretty risky.
ChevyChad (12-11-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:24 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 888 Likes on 500 Posts

Service dept has more incentive to do warranty work and not looking vehicle carfax to then possible lose the work since customer with no warranty might take car elsewhere. Also seems very manual and super easy to work around if that is how Chevy plans to void warranty.
If GM receives a claim for warranty on a Z06 isn't there a possibility it would check on the validity of the warranty? What would happen if the dealer does work and the warranty has been void?

As a buyer it would be to his benefit to ponder all possibilities.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:48 PM
alekscpi
Racer

All might be valid points but I’m stilling trying to understand what system records and timeframe goes GM check this stuff if they do at all

Originally Posted by 1 STING
If GM receives a claim for warranty on a Z06 isn't there a possibility it would check on the validity of the warranty? What would happen if the dealer does work and the warranty has been void?

As a buyer it would be to his benefit to ponder all possibilities.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,634 Likes on 6,636 Posts

The police know who owns a car by the licensee plate. Now if you don't register it until the 6 months are up you won't be driving it so no warranty need. I would not buy a car, especially a Z06 without assurance it's covered.

There is a central data base GM probably has access. Heck when looking up my car value before I sold it, either have to enter my VIN OR License Plate #! That data base is known by Kelly Blue Book, Black Book etc. GM doesn't have to keep track the States do it for them!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-08-2023 at 06:08 PM.
dale fehrenbach (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:57 PM
alekscpi
Racer

So you’re saying the state is sending Chevy notifications on title transfer for Z06 no way that can be accurate.

How did Chevy never come out with their process on enforcing this I’m sure there has been someone whose warranty got yanked and they aren’t at fault. Example going from personal name to then selling it to your business would show title updates on carfax and be recorded as a sale but it’s still same personal owner. how would Chevy distinguish then between? Or imagine a divorce where wife is removed from title or where she gets car in divorce and is not second owner. Makes no sense that it’s automatic pull from carfax. Needs to be something different.

Originally Posted by JerryU
The police know who owns a car by the licensee plate. Now if you don't register it until the 6 months are up you won't be driving it so no warranty need. I would not buy a car, especially a Z06 without assurance it's covered.

There is a central data base GM probably has access. Heck when looking up my car value before I sold it, either have to enter my VIN OR License Plate #! That data base is known by Kelly Blue Book, Black Book etc. GM doesn't have to keep track the States do it for them!
Old 12-08-2023, 07:30 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 154 Posts

If you want to cheat the system then pay him and let him pay off the loan . He will then get the title back from the loan company . He would have to sign over the title to you but date it forward until after the 6 months. You store the car until the 6 month clear date. Then send in the title and make sure you have a bill of sale from him with the same date . Register the car and put the plates on and drive it. When you service the car the Vin # will show registration and change of title. I would think this would be illegal if you get caught and besides you loss the warranty. The other question is would the previous owner risk lying on the title. Then there might be tax issues. I wouldn't do this as it's not worth the legal ramifications.
The following 3 users liked this post by jagtoes:
m2man (12-10-2023), RocketRob (12-09-2023), VetteHeaven (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 07:44 PM
NAVY_LDO
Drifting

Received 870 Likes on 461 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The seller may also be incentivized to report the sale to DMV, for instance if he is required to turn in or transfers the tags or if he lives in a state that has personal property tax (like VA).
kromdom (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

So you’re saying the state is sending Chevy notifications on title transfer for Z06 no way that can be accurate.

How foolish. The States don't send anything to Chevy, Kelly Blue Book, Haggarty etc. That all have access to the info no doubt consolidated by a computer program to be sure when you get stopped whatever State you happen to be in they won't get out of their car an approach unless they know who the hell you are!
Old 12-08-2023, 10:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NAVY_LDO
The seller may also be incentivized to report the sale to DMV, for instance if he is required to turn in or transfers the tags or if he lives in a state that has personal property tax (like VA).
Yep, in our case in conservative SC you have 10 days to turn in your plates not being used! The instant you have the insurance stopped on those plates they must be turned in as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Flipping

Old 12-08-2023, 11:04 PM
2007yellow430
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

If I’m Chevy, I’d think twice about voiding the warranty. Once the warranty is gone, if there is trouble, you’ve got common law rights. The term suitable for intended purpose comes to mind. Common law recovery will easily exceed the warranty. Chevy is counting on people not knowing their rights.

Art
Old 12-09-2023, 02:22 AM
alekscpi
Racer

Has anyone challenged Chevy on losing warranty? Has anyone even been notified their warranty is void because of sale? We have all seen the hundreds of Z06 go for sale with 10miles right after delivery. Can anyone provide first hand experience?

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430
If I’m Chevy, I’d think twice about voiding the warranty. Once the warranty is gone, if there is trouble, you’ve got common law rights. The term suitable for intended purpose comes to mind. Common law recovery will easily exceed the warranty. Chevy is counting on people not knowing their rights.

Art
Old 12-09-2023, 02:35 AM
ZipZap
Race Director

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Received 288 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Good question, sort of. Are you confused about the intent? Would you testify in court to the same?

Your posts seem to reflect that you understand the intent, but disagree with it, and you would possibly lie about the actual acquisition in order to take advantage of a benefit you are not entitled to.

What am I missing?
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipZap:
hdrider1 (12-09-2023), kromdom (12-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Z06 Flipping