Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

2024 Infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 01:37 PM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

If you carry/have a cell phone on you at all times like most people, you are already being spied on 24/7 by some app/some company etc.
The following 5 users liked this post by minn19:
EvanZR1 (02-17-2024), FegelBot (02-19-2024), JockItch (02-22-2024), newchevyman (04-23-2024), smithers (02-17-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,187 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Sorry for my third post here to be another complaint, as I am truly loving my Z06. But, even after reading threads like these before I bought my car, I’m shocked how bad the new system is. I’ve had two previous ZL1s and currently have a 23 4VBW with the older/much better system. Aside from probably getting a pile of money from Google, I really don’t understand the change, especially since the older system is much more user friendly.

First, I really wish they didn’t remove the HD radio option for the 24s. It is pretty annoying that my 140k 3LZ Z06 doesn’t have this when my 70k 4VBW does. The Google implementation is pretty bad. If you accidentally hit the Google store button, it takes forever for it load and get out of it. I’ve had to download the offline Google maps a bunch of times and it never seems to fully install. The red dot notification everytime my PDR is recording is kind of weird since I purposely set my PDR to record video and audio for every drive. I don’t like the source drop down menu as I feel it is harder to bounce between Apple CarPlay and FM. Last, it just seems much more unstable and buggy over the old system. Hopefully future updates (if they install correctly) help clean it up.

Sort of related, on my Blackwings dash I can have four tiles of info in sport to the left of the speedometer, also wish I had that instead of just the two options I get in the Z06.

Other than that and the crappy CF/alcantara steering wheel, I really really love the car!
select the track mode display and you get 4 tiles. I'd like 4 tiles and my round round tach from sport mode. On my stingray I had the dash on track, but HUD on sport to have a round tach. With the Z06 and its high rpm, I really like the round tach design better than the horizontal tach.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:34 AM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts

Back when I had a ZL1 that didnt have wireless carplay I had found this company. He was able to configure and sell me the correct OEM controller to add that feature. He may be able to help those that want to 'downgrade' to the 2023 infotainment system with OEM parts. (I have a 23 Z so never looked into myself)

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/
Old 02-21-2024, 05:03 PM
Northwoods1
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben406
I really don't care for the new infotaionmt system. I preferred the one in my '22 Z51 over the new for '24 Google based system.
I don't like how it looks, and I think the voice recognition is inferior to the old system.
First world problems, I get it, I'm sure it will grow on me but just curious on other's thoughts....

Originally Posted by Synergy-
Such poor development on the 2024 UI. There is no excuse for the non full screen CarPlay and the low rent home screen. MY2023 is so much better.
"Low rent" home screen is putting it mildly. It looks like something from the 90's. I'm really disappointed also.
robob (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 05:43 PM
Synergy-
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 375 Likes on 107 Posts

Would it be "impossible" for GM to push an OTA update to refresh the home screen UI? I assume the hardware could handle better designs of the UI.
sandcracker21 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 09:53 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Would it be "impossible" for GM to push an OTA update to refresh the home screen UI? I assume the hardware could handle better designs of the UI.
Entirely possible for Google to redesign and color up the home screen and push out via OTA update. Same as the way they update cell phones and tablets.

The drab home screen does not really bother me any more. I only see it for a few seconds as I start the car and it auto launches into Android Auto with nav and media running side by side.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:06 AM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

They could, but they probably (99%) aren’t going to spend the money to do it.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:52 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
If you carry/have a cell phone on you at all times like most people, you are already being spied on 24/7 by some app/some company etc.
I can control what's being sent out from my phone. Try to do that with your car. Show me the privacy section on the infotainment system.

GM should just farm the UI work to another company, and not one of the big tech companies that botch everything but a small company that specializes in this. It's not rocket science coming up with a nice UI. I bet even ChatGPT could do a better job.
robob (02-25-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 10:42 PM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A
I can control what's being sent out from my phone. Try to do that with your car. Show me the privacy section on the infotainment system.

GM should just farm the UI work to another company, and not one of the big tech companies that botch everything but a small company that specializes in this. It's not rocket science coming up with a nice UI. I bet even ChatGPT could do a better job.
Sure you can, believe what you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by minn19:
JockItch (04-25-2024), newchevyman (04-23-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 05:47 PM
bl7385
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I called the Connection center team (1-877-558-8352) and filed a complaint (only way to provide feedback). I said:
  1. CarPlay needs to take whole screen. Physical home button can be used to get out of CarPlay if necessary.
  2. CarPlay screen not available sometimes when I first start despite it showing as connected wirelessly (and yes, I have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled). Resolved by turning off car, opening door, and restarting.
  3. Screen too slow to start and too slow to navigate through menus. I said get rid of the animation and make it faster.
I suggest others call and file a complaint to make sure the message is getting through. If they provide a meaningful response, I will post an update.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:33 PM
Northwoods1
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
Nobody’s buying this car for its infotainment system I get that but we shouldn’t be taking steps backwards is the point… especially considering the interface is developed by an actual software juggernaut who should know better.
I think they know exactly what they are doing. Google is the biggest of juggernauts. They knowingly are trying to push everyone to their system.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:47 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

Obviously a non-automotive software person did most of the design. Likely a person who does games. So many visual flaws. The driver needs clear and uncluttered information from the display. What we have is more like a video game.
The following 2 users liked this post by RussM05:
bl7385 (04-17-2024), robob (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 06:52 AM
YellowC8
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Directions on HUD

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
So some observations yesterday while out for a drive. I reported when I bought the car that using Google Maps through AndroidAuto displayed on the HUD, and it was a great feature. Using it yesterday, it did not display on the HUD. Switched to the built-in Google Maps and it displays on the HUD, but it was laggy to start and to respond to voice commands. This was just at startup of the built-in GMaps, so hopefully it would be ok to use full time. I really hope that GMaps through AA not displaying on the HUD was just a fluke as that was a very worthwhile feature that almost made the new interface worthwhile.
Same thing happened- picked up my 2024 a week ago. I hope my Apple Maps continue to display on the HUD. It happens 50% of the time so far.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:34 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

I took delivery of my 2024 Z06 in mid-October and driven it 4500 miles. So I've had time to experience the new Google infotainment system. I hate it with a passion. I especially don't like that it asked me for my Google email address and password. Oh, just what I need another source my email account can be hacked or monitored.

The screen below pops up all the time. I usually dismiss it because I am pretty sure "shop plans" means I have to purchase a subscription to something which I definitely don't want. I did choose "shop plans" once, and it said can't shop if I am moving. The why the f*ck did you ask me to shop? Then I parked and plans appeared that I already had. So what plan should I shop for? Very annoying and not thought out by the designer. Obviously, no senior GM manager actual tested this system. So many things I've found to be poorly done or outright confusing.

Also, note how small the street names are? Obviously, Google simply shrunk their full-size desktop map to fit this much smaller automotive screen and didn't change the font so we could actually read the street names while in the driver's seat.

Get a non-gamer adult automotive person to redesign this system please or give us a choice to use the previous system.

Last edited by RussM05; 04-18-2024 at 08:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RussM05:
Michael T* (04-23-2024), minn19 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 08:52 AM
jswatek
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 127 Posts

Porsche was able to correct it with a software update. I’m sure GM could do the same
Old 04-18-2024, 10:07 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by YellowC8
Same thing happened- picked up my 2024 a week ago. I hope my Apple Maps continue to display on the HUD. It happens 50% of the time so far.
Thanks for the feedback, I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. Unfortunately for me, it has just quit displaying on the HUD completely using Google Maps on AndroidAuto.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
OldZ51Racer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
I took delivery of my 2024 Z06 in mid-October and driven it 4500 miles. So I've had time to experience the new Google infotainment system. I hate it with a passion. I especially don't like that it asked me for my Google email address and password. Oh, just what I need another source my email account can be hacked or monitored.

The screen below pops up all the time. I usually dismiss it because I am pretty sure "shop plans" means I have to purchase a subscription to something which I definitely don't want. I did choose "shop plans" once, and it said can't shop if I am moving. The why the f*ck did you ask me to shop? Then I parked and plans appeared that I already had. So what plan should I shop for? Very annoying and not thought out by the designer. Obviously, no senior GM manager actual tested this system. So many things I've found to be poorly done or outright confusing.

Also, note how small the street names are? Obviously, Google simply shrunk their full-size desktop map to fit this much smaller automotive screen and didn't change the font so we could actually read the street names while in the driver's seat.

Get a non-gamer adult automotive person to redesign this system please or give us a choice to use the previous system.

I agree 1000%. Are you listening GM? I have a 2021 Z51HTC 3LT that has an infotainment that I love. My 2024 Z06 HTC 3LT, a $140K car and the infotainment system sucks! Big step backwards. Are you listening Harlan? They should offer a fix for this atrocity.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldZ51Racer:
lewislgZ06 (04-23-2024), robob (04-23-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 2024 Infotainment system

Old 04-23-2024, 04:40 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,936 Likes on 2,017 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had a 2023 Z51 Stingray and the infotainment center was great.
Sold it and got a 2024 Z06 and the new google based infotainment system absolutely sucks in comparison, for all the reasons listed already in this thread.

I received a Chevrolet customer satisfaction survey recently and that was the only thing that I repeatedly told them sucks about the car. I also asked if they would/could consider a software change back to the previous version.
I don’t know if that is even possible, but it sure would make the car perfect to me.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:35 PM
OldZ51Racer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
I had a 2023 Z51 Stingray and the infotainment center was great.
Sold it and got a 2024 Z06 and the new google based infotainment system absolutely sucks in comparison, for all the reasons listed already in this thread.

I received a Chevrolet customer satisfaction survey recently and that was the only thing that I repeatedly told them sucks about the car. I also asked if they would/could consider a software change back to the previous version.
I don’t know if that is even possible, but it sure would make the car perfect to me.
I hope they offer a software change for those that want it. I will be talking about this at Corvette at Carlisle this year to every engineer there ... Tadge, Harlan, whoever will listen...
The following 2 users liked this post by OldZ51Racer:
lewislgZ06 (04-24-2024), robob (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 PM
robob
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by OldZ51Racer
I hope they offer a software change for those that want it. I will be talking about this at Corvette at Carlisle this year to every engineer there ... Tadge, Harlan, whoever will listen...
I don't know you so maybe you know this, but please be nice, but emphatic. Maybe show them this thread. Also let them know that many of us are not interested in subscriptions for features that should be included.

Thanks and hope you have fun there,
Robert

Quick Reply: 2024 Infotainment system